Tell me the truth?

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":1njqjzol said:
Dylan Biggs":1njqjzol said:
ALACOWMAN":1njqjzol said:
thats great ,,, but im talking about getting docked for rasing a breed just to be different. not what works or sales in your area,,,, the buyers will pay you for what """they""" want.... not what you like to look at in your pasture

Alacowman, you a right, keep in mind though, that at least here, the preference of buyers seems to change about every ten years. When I started buying Angus seedstock in the mid 80's at the sale barn they were being docked 10 cents. Then for about ten years from mid 90's to the mid 2000's they were bringing a premium. Now they don't, who knows if and when they will start docking them again. In addition for me at any rate if you are going to spend your life in the cattle business it would be a bonus if you like the looks of what is in your pasture, fortunately I think you can like what is in your pasture and avoid constant heavy docking with the right breed choice. But as you point out if one raises a breed that is different simply because one likes it's looks and the buyers have a desire to dock that breed one should be prepared to be docked at the sale barn.
i did it for a few years, with a vigour to change the cattle industry .. and took the docks,, had my ass handed to me to many time, personally to me the breed dont have to be as consistant as the breeder

Alacowman said something I agree with, remember you said this. Now watch him go back on it :lol2: Remember, he's not running for office but sometimes he sure acts like a politician :tiphat: And so goes "The Days of our Lives" :banana:

ALACOWMAN":2m29ls5d said:
Dylan Biggs":2m29ls5d said:
Alacowman, you a right, keep in mind though, that at least here, the preference of buyers seems to change about every ten years. When I started buying Angus seedstock in the mid 80's at the sale barn they were being docked 10 cents. Then for about ten years from mid 90's to the mid 2000's they were bringing a premium. Now they don't, who knows if and when they will start docking them again. In addition for me at any rate if you are going to spend your life in the cattle business it would be a bonus if you like the looks of what is in your pasture, fortunately I think you can like what is in your pasture and avoid constant heavy docking with the right breed choice. But as you point out if one raises a breed that is different simply because one likes it's looks and the buyers have a desire to dock that breed one should be prepared to be docked at the sale barn.
i did it for a few years, with a vigour to change the cattle industry .. and took the docks,, had my ass handed to me to many time, personally to me the breed dont have to be as consistant as the breeder

At least you didn't lose your ass.! :)

No doubt it is easier to create ones own system then change the system. :tiphat:

HOw many do you suppose are being docked not due to" Breed" but to how that producers cattle may "not" be profitable in the feed yard or packer end? Inability to perform at a profitable level?
Valerie

vclavin":3n1wa97z said:
HOw many do you suppose are being docked not due to" Breed" but to how that producers cattle may "not" be profitable in the feed yard or packer end? Inability to perform at a profitable level?
Valerie

With the sale barn "docking" brangus down to $127 average for 5 and 6 weights coming off pasture, it is hard not to make a profit.

I can only assume that if a feed yard is willing to pay that, there is a profit margin somewhere.

Personally, it is hard for me to believe the prices that are currently being paid - and I aint complaining.

Edit: this is the place the "docking" took place (if the link works) http://www.mlslivestock.com/new_page_6.html

backhoeboogie":imrxuc40 said:
vclavin":imrxuc40 said:
Valerie

With the sale barn "docking" brangus down to $127 average for 5 and 6 weights coming off pasture, it is hard not to make a profit.

I can only assume that if a feed yard is willing to pay that, there is a profit margin somewhere.

Personally, it is hard for me to believe the prices that are currently being paid - and I aint complaining.

Edit: this is the place the "docking" took place (if the link works) http://www.mlslivestock.com/new_page_6.html
Would this have anything to do with the large number of pure, black Taurus types dieing in the feedlots this past summer?

andybob":20mk2qn2 said:
backhoeboogie":20mk2qn2 said:
vclavin":20mk2qn2 said:
Valerie

Would this have anything to do with the large number of pure, black Taurus types dieing in the feedlots this past summer?

I personally don't think that is the reason, although it may help. I think it is a matter of supply and demand.

Packer bulls are not as high as they have been. But it appears steers are up slightly over $200 per head against a year ago if I am doing the math right. It makes me anxious to see what spring prices will be.

TexasBred":78ppcqn8 said:
I'm surprized Mike Domel let you sell a brangus in his sale. Usually have the stuff there is his angus.

Bless his heart :D He's hooked.

He gets a cut/commission.

I can't help but like the guy. Keep figuring someday he'll see the light. He probably sells a lot of terminals to satisfy the wool over the eyes market.

Latest posts