Stirring the pot on the LH/corriente topic

Help Support CattleToday:

My idea would be that we average the #1 prices for the last month from the Lampasas Cattle Auction, Coryell County Auction and maybe one other around central Texas and go with the average of the averages of their #1 ranges. Don't really want to go with the futures market, as it seems to be disconnected with the cash market sometimes, but I'd be open to taking the 30 day average of the appropriate futures index, I guess.
That's what we did. We used the highs from the better sale in the area that we hauled to. If we delivered on Tuesday, we took the Friday sale before and the Friday sale after to get an avg. It was always close and we were trying to make it work, not argue over pennies.

Obviously there could be some holes in that plan but I never felt like they would manipulate any thing for price and vice-versa. Don't see it being an issue with your either.

My idea would be that we average the #1 prices for the last month from the Lampasas Cattle Auction, Coryell County Auction and maybe one other around central Texas and go with the average of the averages of their #1 ranges. Don't really want to go with the futures market, as it seems to be disconnected with the cash market sometimes, but I'd be open to taking the 30 day average of the appropriate futures index, I guess.
Pick a bigger barn than Coryell-their prices are .20 less than the one in Crockett. Compare several sale barn reports, pick one that you both agree on, and go with that

Here is a group of $725/head Corriente and Longhorn cross cows for those wanting to try it.
The black Corrientes will bring that pretty easily. The LH/Corr crosses with small spots won't. Neither would the couple of LHs I saw. Being bred to the Charolais, you gonna lose a year getting good selling black pollled calves off of them, though. That bull isn't pure Char either. It looks a lot like the Char-Herf and Char- Simm crosses we used to see in the 70's. WHat part of Texas is this? Cattle seem to be in good shape and have some green to eat.

The black Corrientes will bring that pretty easily. The LH/Corr crosses with small spots won't. Neither would the couple of LHs I saw. Being bred to the Charolais, you gonna lose a year getting good selling black pollled calves off of them, though. That bull isn't pure Char either. It looks a lot like the Char-Herf and Char- Simm crosses we used to see in the 70's. WHat part of Texas is this? Cattle seem to be in good shape and have some green to eat.
These are near Temple.

That's what we did. We used the highs from the better sale in the area that we hauled to. If we delivered on Tuesday, we took the Friday sale before and the Friday sale after to get an avg. It was always close and we were trying to make it work, not argue over pennies.

Obviously there could be some holes in that plan but I never felt like they would manipulate any thing for price and vice-versa. Don't see it being an issue with your either.

Actually haven't really felt ripped off by anyone in the cattle industry that I have dealt with. Seems like it takes a while and a lot of effort to actually get anything done. Psychologically, if you've done it yourself and know how hard it is, you tend to not want to see anyone else's hard work come to naught.

Already made mistakes that the folks at the feed store bailed me out on, and, as much as some haters complain about the auctions, they are actually efficient and pretty much fair.

So not really worried about pennies, either, and I'm not really paranoid I'd get into a bad deal with an established cattleman. My biggest concern at this point is just getting a consistent crop of calves on some ground that is doing well at sustaining good forage. Figure the other problems will be pretty small compared to maintaining that consistency, and we can always look at things and work out the proper split of value if a problem arises.

Here is a group of $725/head Corriente and Longhorn cross cows for those wanting to try it.
Those cows are over priced, IMO. I'd offer $500. If they said no, I'd head to the auction most likely find a better composite set that would make me more money.

And those horns alone should be a big dock on price. Folks should get paid for putting up with that dangerous set of weapons. It's why they're cheap.

Found it. It is a group, not a page. You have to join it to see anything. My request is pending. Maybe they will approve me before that auction is over,. I think they said they all end in 3 days. But thanks for posting this! Did you see how much the bid is now?
Looks like 7200.00

Looks like 7200.00
That's $515 per cow. $423 per head counting the 3 calves. Last 2 years to year and a half, I have sold every solid black Corr I got in for $750. If that auction ends soon, someone will make some money. If they have black polled calves, the calves will bring 2-3 trimes what the cows cost, if prices stay up.

Those cows are over priced, IMO. I'd offer $500. If they said no, I'd head to the auction most likely find a better composite set that would make me more money.

And those horns alone should be a big dock on price. Folks should get paid for putting up with that dangerous set of weapons. It's why they're cheap.
Last couple of herds I bought, I sold the solid blacks for $750. Solid tan or any other solid color, about $650 tops. Yeah, those cows are way over priced. I wouldnt give $500 for them...maybe $350-$400, if they weren't exposed to that bull.

And I go back to the actual sale numbers from Superior last week for steers out of this cross. The dollar difference in the first year would pay for buying better cows.

And I go back to the actual sale numbers from Superior last week for steers out of this cross. The dollar difference in the first year would pay for buying better cows.
Exactly. The value of some thing like cattle is usually always a reflection of the revenue it will generate in the market. There are exceptions but they aren't going to be a breed, or a group of cattle on FB, or sold by Clay N.

It's like our other discussions, always be leary of magic beans, especially when it's always the same character peddling them.

Latest posts