Stirring the pot on the LH/corriente topic

Help Support CattleToday:

I know B gets a premium above what #1s get on his F-1's. He breeds his heifers to a Wagyu. He offered a neighbor a 50 cent premium and that neighbor told him it was not enough.
Did the neighbor say the reason the premium was not enough?

I think there may be a bit of a difference between Japanese Wagyu and American Wagyu. Like with a lot of
other American breeds, the American Wagyu carry British and Continental blood.

I think there may be a bit of a difference between Japanese Wagyu and American Wagyu. Like with a lot of
And the various climates in the US will select for certain strains in the local locations. So yeah, got a few things going on there.

In the end, if there is a good market for it, then it'll keep going, though.

This is a yearling Corriente bull I had. I know without a doubt they are not going to compete
with the average beef breed. But if fed and cared for like other livestock, they are along ways
from resembling the rodeo stock some of you are used to seeing.

View attachment 39351
Maybe, but I don't think there will ever be any money in the bulls. Cows with a X calf make sense. The bulls don't. Even if you market them as heifer bulls, when people ask for one they just want the cheapest LBW bull they can find to derisk their first calving season with the heifers. Not every going to be profitable, I think.

I was not promoting or recommending Corrientes, I was not suggesting anyone should raise bulls. I simply put a picture
up so those that have only viewed the Corrientes being used as rodeo stock could see the difference.

You jumped to an awfully lot of inaccurate conclusions. 🤦‍♀️

There is indeed a difference (beyond price) between Japanese raised wagyu and US 50/50/% wagyu crosses. I've had both. I raise the latter/fill my freezer with the latter.

Here is a calf that come out of one of my cows I call lineback. If it was not for the fact that I got then so cheap I would not have bought them, and also at that time I was trying to maximize my spending dollar. Now I am trying to buy better quality stock. I still have two of the four linebacks I bought. I not really sure what breed or breeds they are; they do have scurs for horns.

View attachment 39035

View attachment 39036

View attachment 39037
That little calf sold for $2.40 per pound and weighed 430 pounds.

I did pretty well yesterday. My steer calves averaged $1660 and heifers averaged $1439. I did have some 523 pounds steers sell for $3.10. All in all I am pretty satisfied with the sale. I was starting to get a little worried last night as they didn't sell until 7pm; the sale barn was starting to clear out. I am hoping to step up my game with better bulls for the next breeding season. I fed oats to my calves this year, because that was all I could get; the CO-OP had their elevator broke down and all they could only load me out with was oats. I am sure I did better last year with the barley I fed, but can't find my notes I took.

I always heard you had to be careful feeding very much Barley in a cattle feed. I never fed it, so I don't know the consequences or why they said that.
Oats is actually a very safe "grain". It is like feeding hay. Not sure it would be much help for gain. I use it as a filler getting calves used to corn so they don't overeat and get sick.

I always heard you had to be careful feeding very much Barley in a cattle feed. I never fed it, so I don't know the consequences or why they said that.
Oats is actually a very safe "grain". It is like feeding hay. Not sure it would be much help for gain. I use it as a filler getting calves used to corn so they don't overeat and get sick.
After feeding it this year I would say I agree with you. Oats are lower in energy. My calves looked really good this year, but I am sure I had better gains last year on the barley. I only fed about 1% of their body weight, and fed about as much alfalfa as they could eat.

After feeding it this year I would say I agree with you. Oats are lower in energy. My calves looked really good this year, but I am sure I had better gains last year on the barley. I only fed about 1% of their body weight, and fed about as much alfalfa as they could eat.
I grew oats one year and baled it for winter feed. I didn't see much value in it, but then I didn't see anything bad either. The cows liked it.

I grew oats one year and baled it for winter feed. I didn't see much value in it, but then I didn't see anything bad either. The cows liked it.
I have done oat hay and barley hay, and yes cows really love the stuff. One year we fed oat or barley hay with alfalfa. The cows would stay on the oat and barley hay until it was all gone, and then move to the alfalfa. The advantage of oats is you can get a second cutting out of it compared to barley; that is if it gets cut in the milk. Next year I need to start replanting my alfalfa, and I'm thinking of combining some barley, planting radishes and turnups in the stubble, and grazing it off. Then the following year planting maybe some oat hay, and then going back to alfalfa.

So once again the difference is out there in black and white. Just this week on Superior a lot of feeder steers out of Elko NV advertised as out of Longhorn Corriente cross cows and reputation Charolais bulls weighing 820 pounds sold for $1.76. That is $1,443 a head.
Two lots later a lot of feeder steers out of Angus and Angus cross cows bred to name brand Angus and Hereford bulls sold. They are from Southern Idaho (same general part of the world). Certainly the same type of environment. They were listed at 890 pounds and sold for $2.27. I just gave away the extra 70 pounds and called them 820#. That is $1,861 a head.
The difference is $418 a head. On the 70 head that is over $29,000. And that 70 pounds I gave away to compare number is worth another $158 a head.

Got a neighbor trying to convince me to put a Waygu bull on my cows come fall. He says he will provide the bull and he will buy the calves at #1 prices from me.

Anybody know what the catch is here? Do the calves only wean at half of what the other calves wean at?
My client in south Ga, that I bought those 150 Braford cows for, had a buddy that was trying to talk him into the Waygu thing. I don't remember exactly all the details ( I bet @Mountaintown Creek Ranch can tell us) but I think what he said was you had to be a member of the Asoociation, and use their bulls. When you took them to the sale, you had to cut a piece of ear off then send it somwhere. And they would send you a check for .50 per lb over what the top selling calves in that weight class sold for that day, Like if yours sold for $2 and the top sellers brought $2.30, you got a check for .80 per lb. Seems like you had to pay like $17.50 when you sent in the ear chunks. I assume this might be what a DNA test cost? And seems like instead of an annual Association fee, it was a monthly dues type deal. This was April of 2021 when he was telling me this, and it was 2nd hand information...him telling me what his friend said, so I may be totally wrong on this. But I am pretty sure there is some kind of incentive program available.

My client in south Ga, that I bought those 150 Braford cows for, had a buddy that was trying to talk him into the Waygu thing. I don't remember exactly all the details ( I bet @Mountaintown Creek Ranch can tell us) but I think what he said was you had to be a member of the Asoociation, and use their bulls. When you took them to the sale, you had to cut a piece of ear off then send it somwhere. And they would send you a check for .50 per lb over what the top selling calves in that weight class sold for that day, Like if yours sold for $2 and the top sellers brought $2.30, you got a check for .80 per lb. Seems like you had to pay like $17.50 when you sent in the ear chunks. I assume this might be what a DNA test cost? And seems like instead of an annual Association fee, it was a monthly dues type deal. This was April of 2021 when he was telling me this, and it was 2nd hand information...him telling me what his friend said, so I may be totally wrong on this. But I am pretty sure there is some kind of incentive program available.

Well, that sounds too involved to me. We'll see if it pans out. My thinking at this point is that

1) I ask for him to provide a Wagyu bull that throws 70 lbs calves.
2) He help me get feed lot prices for any tubs or hay.
3) He shows up and picks up the calves at weaning.
4) I get #1 prices on them at that time.
5) He helps with the finding of replacement females as I don't want to keep any of that cross.

I figure if I can average 500 lbs weaning it would be a good deal for me.

Supposed to get 2 to 3 inches of rain next week according to the forecast. If that happens, I'll go ahead a buy a few more bred cows to once more start pushing towards the goal of 10 calves.

Again, will talk to him in July and let everyone know if it pans out.

What will the "#1 price" be based on? Who sets that price?
My idea would be that we average the #1 prices for the last month from the Lampasas Cattle Auction, Coryell County Auction and maybe one other around central Texas and go with the average of the averages of their #1 ranges. Don't really want to go with the futures market, as it seems to be disconnected with the cash market sometimes, but I'd be open to taking the 30 day average of the appropriate futures index, I guess.

Latest posts