Stirring the pot on the LH/corriente topic

Help Support CattleToday:

@Jeanne - Simme Valley I copied part of your above post to respond to based on what I've seen first hand with beef x dairy crosses.
(The Holstein x Angus steer shown somewhere above is totally NON-TYPICAL for that cross. Maybe it was a % Holstein??? Anyway, by live evaluation, THAT steer would have passed. But that is deceiving to many people. THAT steer is not what 99.9% of the cross is going to look like.)

I raised dairy calves for 10 years the vast majority were straight Holstein, but in occasion we'd get some Angus or Hereford crosses.
I also had several nurse cows that I used to raise calves, I bred them to Angus or at one point a Hereford bull.

You are likely correct in that saying that they won't all look like that steer pictured, however there is a range and could very well be a higher percentage than .1% that look similar to that calf.
I kept back a few Angus Holstein cross cows and had a range, one was pretty much a black Holstein, and another was massive like a long legged beef cow, another was somewhere inbetween but closer to a tall beef cow look.
The Hereford crosses were beef cow looking with more white and were great cows. The 3/4 beef calves by Angus bulls that those cows had were literally hard to tell from straight beef breed calves.
By the time those Holstein cross calves are fed out and ready to process I'd say quite a few of them are fine looking beef animals

I don't think that a carcass has to grade USDA prime to qualify for CAB. CAB Prime and CAB natural are small segments of the overall CAB program. There are 3 types/labels of CAB - CAB, CAB Prime and CAB Natural. "Standard" CAB requirement on marbling is modest or higher. USDA choice grade is subdivided into 3 marbling types - small, modest and moderate. So, the "low" choice does not qualify for CAB, but the modest and moderate Choice will qualify for CAB. That is my understanding.
You are right, Simme, and I knew that. Just another senile brain fart on my part! I was carrying on another conversation with someone about the program Mike, Clay's boss , raises beef for, and that buyer requires CAB Prime or Prime +

I went to eat with the Mennonites and I always talk to the preacher there because he enjoys talking about cattle. He has eaten different breeds, but he said that the sweetest beef comes from the Dairy cow side. But we know that there is not a lot of meat there. I was surprised when he said that to him, Jersey was #1 on taste, and then Holstein was a real sweet meat. I was surprised to hear that about Holsteins. I just did not know. So, if you have a Jersey nurse cow in your herd and she has a bull calf, you might want to give him a try.

The biggest drawback is they grow slow and end up smaller. Not something that you can grow on grass then finish for 90 days.

Ky Hills, did you ever butcher one of the Holstein cross calves? I wonder what you thought of the meat as well? This is really interesting.
No at that time I wasn't feeding out any.
We've recently started fattening a beef and so far it's been Angus, Hereford or BWF beef.
We typically pick a red Hereford looking calf for beef cause they sell cheaper than the black ones.
I've got a half Jersey half Angus cow thanks to our neighbor's Jersey bull. When ever she has a bull calf I've been wanting to try that for a beef. Her first calf was bull but was black and fit in with a group so we sold him.
Also got a Jersey nurse cow last spring if she has a bull calf it would be half Jersey and likely a good beef calf prospect.
I had friends that ran a dairy and they always fed out their steers and had one killed for themselves. They always had Holsteins, then when he sold out his dairy herd and quit milking he got his not beef cattle, mostly Angus. The first Angus beef they had they couldn't stand. His adult children told him to go back to Holstein the next time.

That is exactly what the Mennonite preacher told me. He said if you get used to that sweet beef from a Holstein or a Jersey, then you are hooked. He said he and his wife decided to butcher an Angus and put it in the freezer. He said they started eating it, and the flavor was so strong they gave it away. They did not even try to sell it. He said if he had rather eat chicken if he could not have Holstein or Jersey beef. And I was surprised when he said that because I have never eaten a 100% Jersey steer. I have had Piedmontese that had a slight percentage of Jersey but not even 25% and the meat was really good. So, that is why I have decided to raise Piedmontese and mix as much Jersey as I can and get a 2 copy animal as they grow fast once they start eating grain.
But I am used to Angus beef, and in a year or so down the line, I will know what Jersey beef tastes like.

That is exactly what the Mennonite preacher told me. He said if you get used to that sweet beef from a Holstein or a Jersey, then you are hooked. He said he and his wife decided to butcher an Angus and put it in the freezer. He said they started eating it, and the flavor was so strong they gave it away. They did not even try to sell it. He said if he had rather eat chicken if he could not have Holstein or Jersey beef. And I was surprised when he said that because I have never eaten a 100% Jersey steer. I have had Piedmontese that had a slight percentage of Jersey but not even 25% and the meat was really good. So, that is why I have decided to raise Piedmontese and mix as much Jersey as I can and get a 2 copy animal as they grow fast once they start eating grain.
But I am used to Angus beef, and in a year or so down the line, I will know what Jersey beef tastes like.
Quite a while ago there was a study done at an Ag College that tested taste and cutability of all the major breeds represented in the U.S. at that time. They included Hereford, Angus, Charolais, Limousin, and two dairy breeds, Holstein and Jersey. There may have been others but I don't remember them if there were. I also don't remember how many animals were fed out, but it was more than one of each breed. The animals were all fed in side by side pens, similar ages, identical feeds, and for the same amount of time, and slaughtered in the same facility and hung for the same amount of time... and then prepared for eating by identical methods.

The study didn't get much attention because it had results that didn't match expectations. The Jersey, which didn't marble, was rated the most tender as well as the best tasting.

I've heard people here claim that lightly muscled animals are more likely to marble and that's certainly not my experience at all. I've never seen a marbled Jersey carcass, and Holstein only has very light intramuscular fat if any. I've heard people say they will marble at more age and weight, but I've never seen it. Wagyu seems to be different but I can't speak to them as I have no experience with them.

Take this information as you will. It was a while ago...

Wow Travlr, that is so interesting to know. Thank you for telling us about it. Sometimes we just don't know. I used to talk to my husband about these things. I just remember him telling me about a Brahman steer. I hope someone throws in some information about that breed as well. I have never heard of anyone that has butchered a full blooded animal.

I found a Wagyu steak at the store about a month ago, and bought it. Brought it home and cooked it, and it was tender. It had sort of a feeling of...well, you know when you have a plate that has a hamburger steak on it and the works, with onions and such as it leaves grease on the top of the plate when you are finished eating? That is what my tongue sort of felt like; was the plate as it leaves a bit of a fatty skim across the top. But the flavor has a light liver taste to me, which I love liver, so I was good with the streak. I do eat my steaks very rare, so it was not over cooked and red on the inside. I let it warm up to room temperature before I cooked it and it sat out for a good bit. But, for the same price and a tender piece of Angus and Wagyu, I would choose the Angus because. one, I know the cholesterol is out the roof on that Wagyu, and why start messing with that problem. And, I did not care for the grease coating on my tongue. The steak was only $19.00 as I have seen them a lot higher. I was surprised when I saw it.

I ask this because I am curious to what a Piedmontese bull bred to a Corriente cow would do. You know how thin a Jersey cow is? But they have a real sweet great tasting beef. Here is a picture of a 50/50 Piedmontese Jersey Calf at 2 months old and I will skip to when they are 7 months old.View attachment 39270View attachment 39271
I wanted to add that these are not my pictures and are calves raised by Dan Oberschlake in Wisconsin. But it was amazing to see how fast they developed each month just being half Piedmontese and Half Jersey. They now look like regular beef stock. I guess that is what won me over and having eat the steaks of the Jersey cross.

Years ago, Bob Evans made a comment in an interview of some cattle magazine that he thought Angus X Jersey beef was the way to go. I think that was after he had dispersed his registered Charolais herd.

That was a good video CowboyRam. Interesting to hear they are feeding distillers grain to finish them off. At least you don't have to worry about their feet getting so long with time. Lots of good information there.

Angus, Jersey, Piedmontese, Holstein, Wagyu. Galician
How bout 10-15 year old steer/ox steak?

google "Steak Revolution" its a 10 year old documentary

Oops, some people like Longhorn so we breed a Angus/Jersey bull to a Holstein/Wagyu cow, And then breed the bull calf to LH cows, steer the bull calves so in 15 more years we would have a perfect Ox steak, And it damn well better be tender cause I want have no teeth by then!

Wow Travlr, that is so interesting to know. Thank you for telling us about it. Sometimes we just don't know. I used to talk to my husband about these things. I just remember him telling me about a Brahman steer. I hope someone throws in some information about that breed as well. I have never heard of anyone that has butchered a full blooded animal.

I found a Wagyu steak at the store about a month ago, and bought it. Brought it home and cooked it, and it was tender. It had sort of a feeling of...well, you know when you have a plate that has a hamburger steak on it and the works, with onions and such as it leaves grease on the top of the plate when you are finished eating? That is what my tongue sort of felt like; was the plate as it leaves a bit of a fatty skim across the top. But the flavor has a light liver taste to me, which I love liver, so I was good with the streak. I do eat my steaks very rare, so it was not over cooked and red on the inside. I let it warm up to room temperature before I cooked it and it sat out for a good bit. But, for the same price and a tender piece of Angus and Wagyu, I would choose the Angus because. one, I know the cholesterol is out the roof on that Wagyu, and why start messing with that problem. And, I did not care for the grease coating on my tongue. The steak was only $19.00 as I have seen them a lot higher. I was surprised when I saw it.
Got a neighbor trying to convince me to put a Waygu bull on my cows come fall. He says he will provide the bull and he will buy the calves at #1 prices from me.

Anybody know what the catch is here? Do the calves only wean at half of what the other calves wean at?

Got a neighbor trying to convince me to put a Waygu bull on my cows come fall. He says he will provide the bull and he will buy the calves at #1 prices from me.

Anybody know what the catch is here? Do the calves only wean at half of what the other calves wean at?
Good questions... Smart questions.

You're gonna have to ask someone familiar with Wagyu.

Latest posts