Sucker for under fed cows

Help Support CattleToday:

The cow looks a lot better in the second pic. I doubt there is any noticeable change in body condition score in just 5 days. The best you could hope for would be a pound a day with a nursing calf. That full belly makes a big difference.
Buying wormy cattle can be profitable. But if a particular cow came from a herd that was not maintained then you may not ever be able to put weight on them. Worms, while going through their life cycle in the rumen system, burrow into the tract walls. when they come out they leave behind scar tissue. The build up of this scar tissue, after a few years or a heavy infestation, will make for a hard keeper.
What I am trying to say here is don't get the idea you can just go to the sale barn, buy skinny cows, feed them up and automatically make money.

Yep, its pretty hard to tell from these photos any improvement in condition. Photos are at different angles and lighting.

Reminds me of those diet ads with the before and after photos.

Suggestion on the first photo - try to take pics with the light behind you. If shooting into the light, the camera has to reduce exposure so you end of with just the outline of a dark cow.

Kscattle":1p6cvija said:
The only loser here was the cheap skate that didnt feed her to keep her condition where it should be. He would have been money ahead to buy feed than sell this cheap cow.
Absolutely. During our drought in 2011 it was amazing how many people waited until their cattle lost a huge amount of weight before finally selling them.

Don't see any signs of abuse on the cattle, just neglect and ignorance on behalf of the previous owner. A few days on good grass will usually change manure pretty quickly from hard rough turds to soft and watery.

Latest posts