Sucker for under fed cows

Help Support CattleToday:

MWilliams

Reaction score
I bought this first calf heifer and this calf at auction. She looked way under fed, so the pair sold cheap. its amazing what a week and some food makes.

Before

After 1 week

Some people make good money doing this on a regular basis. You just have to leave "pride" behind and and not be ashamed to buy those cows that make others think "WTF". ;-)

I was worried about how she would turn out. They didn't know which calf went with her, so I had my choice of three calves. She adopted this one pretty quick and has made a pretty good momma cow. My Hereford bull got to her the other day, so she maybe bred now. I gave 865 for her and the calf, so I'm hoping to make my money back.

TexasBred":mtupb50p said:
Some people make good money doing this on a regular basis. You just have to leave "pride" behind and and not be ashamed to buy those cows that make others think "WTF". ;-)

And then take pride in what you saw for potential.
Nice animal!!
Thanks for giving her a new home where she is getting proper care.

The only loser here was the cheap skate that didnt feed her to keep her condition where it should be. He would have been money ahead to buy feed than sell this cheap cow.

Kscattle":3bzh4pdt said:
The only loser here was the cheap skate that didnt feed her to keep her condition where it should be. He would have been money ahead to buy feed than sell this cheap cow.

Amen!!!
So glad she's in better care...
She should do well!!
Bet it didn't even take much to get her in a better state.

As a newbie, I'm pretty surprised at the initial condition of the cow. Where is the line between "very underfed" and abuse/neglect? Is that cow not getting pretty close to the latter?
What would her body condition score be in the first pic? Thanks

boondocks":3noz8m43 said:
As a newbie, I'm pretty surprised at the initial condition of the cow. Where is the line between "very underfed" and abuse/neglect? Is that cow not getting pretty close to the latter?
What would her body condition score be in the first pic? Thanks
She was a long way from "abuse/neglect" in the first picture.

Yeah, her ears and eyes are alert, looks healthy from a photograph, buy she does look hungry!!!!

At least the farmer who sold her was responsible enough to dump her before she would be in a worse state.
Hard to say the situation. He could be low on feed and maybe she is young and not bold enough to compete with mature cows from the place she came from. Unfortunately that can happen too, if someone doesn't have places to separate them into different groups.

At least he did right by selling her and someone who can do right by her is the one who bought her :)

I don't mean to rain on your parade but I am seeing a dirty butt and tail which could mean she may have a worm infestation problem which could account for her poor body condition.
What does her poop look like now?
I would recommend you quarantine her until you are sure it was a lack of feed that caused this poor body condition.
Liz

NC Liz 2":242dxrqt said:
I don't mean to rain on your parade but I am seeing a dirty butt and tail which could mean she may have a worm infestation problem which could account for her poor body condition.
What does her poop look like now?
I would recommend you quarantine her until you are sure it was a lack of feed that caused this poor body condition.
Liz
Apparently you never see a dirty cow that is unloading out of the trailer before.

I'm guessing the white on her muzzle and light bone means she's part Jersey. Extra milking might take more feed and could contribute to condition issues. Plus dairy animals often look thinner due to lack of muscle.

I don't know how these things work at the salebarn when they can't tell which calf is hers. Don't they keep them together or tag them both? I'm wondering if she's been feeding a calf since spring, and they split that one off and gave you a new one. If she's been a heavy milker since spring, might explain the condition.

Seems like alot of unknowns.

If I put a cow on a trailer, it doesnt seem to matter what her BCS or worm condition, she's gonna be as loose as a goose in about 30 seconds and covered in shyt in about 2 minutes. You may be right and she may have some worms but I wouldnt be able to judge that based off a freshly trailered rear end.

Latest posts