Stupid Newbie Question.. Black Charolais?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cheyenne

Reaction score
Ok I am somewhat sure I already know the answer to this question but would like some confirmation. I will ask for forgiveness for my ignorance in advance.

A local sale barn is having a "special cattle sale" next monday and they are advertising Black Charolais Steers 750-850#'s. My question is, these steers have to be crossed to be black correct? They aren't advertising them as x's, but everything I have read on Char's is that black is not one of their "original" colors.

If the cross would happen to be Angus, will the Angus genes influence the growthiness of the Char?

The reason for the questions is that I need to purchase at least 3 steers to finish out and want a faster growing breed influence and the Char's will work, but if an Angus influence will slow that growth I think I will keep looking.

Once again sorry for my ingnorance,

Cheyenne

Should be a good cross....will give you "smokies"....sell well in these parts...should make for some good hybrid vigor....only thing better would be to have crossed them with a good murray Grey Bull. :) ;-) :cboy:

Im sure you are going to get many posts on this, and I am no expert by far, but the Black Chars have been bred up from black cattle probably angus to become black. Thats how alot of other cattle have come about being black.

CopeMan":10ntlbue said:
Im sure you are going to get many posts on this, and I am no expert by far, but the Black Chars have been bred up from black cattle probably angus to become black. Thats how alot of other cattle have come about being black.

Some might say that the Chars (and other breeds) have been bred "Down" instead of up to be black. ;-)

MikeC":sxh4z7l6 said:
CopeMan":sxh4z7l6 said:

Some might say that the Chars (and other breeds) have been bred "Down" instead of up to be black. ;-)

Thats true

We crossed 3 Char cows on a Brangus bull and talk about ribeye and thickness we keep them until they were about 8 months. Black most of the time is the domnate gene. That is why when you cross a red cows on a balck bull you get black calves.

SCFarms:

I have a couple of questions for you,since your giving out genetic information.

Was this some of same blood-line that you used in your bucking bred cattle???

Or were these some that you sold for $2.00 a lbs at 550 lbs???

Oh one more ? Is Dale Clark and Stephen Clark one in the same?
If it is i guess that is where you get the (We) from when you said that we won at Houston in 2004.Must have been a typo.

MikeC":33lrjkhr said:
flaboy":33lrjkhr said:
See my avatar. Charolais dam, Angus sire..

SOLD! Have you castrated him yet? ;-)

Nope, I sure would like to keep him for a herd bull though. He is a nice one. I have a couple folks that want him. I am waiting to see if anyone gets serious (spelled brings me some money) and then I will cut him.

Thanks all for the input. I figured that somewhere along the line that they had to be crossed with something to make them black. As I am still not too familiar with the genetics side of the business yet, was just curious as to what Angus or other influences would do to the Charolais traits.

I would be purchasing these steers to feed out for freezer beef so obviously breeding etc is not an issue. I am looking to have them finished in 200 days or less that is why I like the Char influence.

Thanks all for your help.

Cheyenne

Cheyenne:

Nearly 100% of the Charolais in the USA are bred up from something else.

There are very Fullbloods, wich means decending from imported animals with no outside influences.

It is just that the upgrading occured in the 30's-60's, then resurged with the 60's,70's imports, now it is resurging again with these new Black Charolais.

Don't let anybody confuse you, unless their papers say Fullblood, they have been upgraded with other breeds.

It's really no big deal, don't let them trick you with that, either.

mtnman

Latest posts