Still change clothes for "town run"?

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz said:
Dave said:
Depends on which town. My little town where I get the mail the only thing there is the post office. And the counter is only open from 8:00 to 10:00. Ranchers stop in to pick up their mail driving quads, side by sides, tractors, feed trucks, pickups pulling stock trailers, and I would be certain people have stopped to pick up their mail while horseback. I will guarantee you none of these people clean up. Wife pointed out one person showed up at our little church in hip boots one time during irrigation season.
In a county where the cattle out number the people by at least 5 to 1 you will see ranchers and cowboys in town pretty much anytime you go to town. Some are in their work cloths, some get cleaned up. My guess is that it depends on what their mission is at that time. But the same can be said for the town people. Some are always cleaned up and some are never cleaned up.

From your post, I'm assuming there is no mail delivery in your area - you have to pick it up yourself from the post office. Am I reading this correct?
Yep, no rural delivery. I told Steve (our post master) that he could just drop it off on the way by. He replied that he probably drove past my place once a month and asked if that was regular enough.

Ryder said:
Good to know I am not alone in knowing that people used to dress nice to fly.
My grandpa and daddy even dressed well to go to a high school football game.
So you go to the gym at 4 am? If I tried to work out at 4am they would find body parts all over the floor.
What time do you go to bed to get any sleep at all?

4am is the best time to work out! I get my best results at that time. But I am known to fall asleep by 8pm haha. New Year's Eve I fell asleep in my sons crib at 9pm and ruined the plans...

My regular bed time is 9:30ish. If I can get 6-7 hours I'm good. I give myself 2 day's a week to sleep in a bit more and catch up.

Cowgal,
When I was growing up I would get up early to milk cows.
My body did not like it and still doesn't.
I am keeping guard in the later night hours.
So we will be counting on you to take the early, early morning shift.

cowgal604 said:
Ryder said:
So you go to the gym at 4 am? If I tried to work out at 4am they would find body parts all over the floor.

4am is the best time to work out! I get my best results at that time. But I am known to fall asleep by 8pm haha. New Year's Eve I fell asleep in my sons crib at 9pm and ruined the plans...

My regular bed time is 9:30ish. If I can get 6-7 hours I'm good. I give myself 2 day's a week to sleep in a bit more and catch up.

Use to load hogs a 3 4 and 5am. Only a crazy person would get up that early.

sim.-ang.king said:
cowgal604 said:
Ryder said:

Use to load hogs a 3 4 and 5am. Only a crazy person would get up that early.

I've loaded hogs once. And they were my own. And that is crazy! My shoulders are still recovering from that haha.

The 4am thing happened organically. I had bottle calves and a demanding job. It was the only way I could work out and get everything done. So 4am became my routine. I then met a group of people at the gym at that crazy time. We all started working our together and 10 years later we all still meet on the treadmill.

I fell timber for years. We were on the saw at the crack of dawn. That meant driving, lacing up your boots, and walking over the hill to the saw in the dark or half light. We were often 2 hours drive from home. If the drive was anywhere under an hour we considered the job to be close to home. The result was that in the summer that you were crawling out of bed when the clock had a 3 on it. So now I am retired. I generally get up about 5:00. If I really sleep in it will be 6:00 when I get up. Old habits are hard to break.

Dave said:
cfpinz said:
Dave said:
Depends on which town. My little town where I get the mail the only thing there is the post office. And the counter is only open from 8:00 to 10:00. Ranchers stop in to pick up their mail driving quads, side by sides, tractors, feed trucks, pickups pulling stock trailers, and I would be certain people have stopped to pick up their mail while horseback. I will guarantee you none of these people clean up. Wife pointed out one person showed up at our little church in hip boots one time during irrigation season.
In a county where the cattle out number the people by at least 5 to 1 you will see ranchers and cowboys in town pretty much anytime you go to town. Some are in their work cloths, some get cleaned up. My guess is that it depends on what their mission is at that time. But the same can be said for the town people. Some are always cleaned up and some are never cleaned up.

From your post, I'm assuming there is no mail delivery in your area - you have to pick it up yourself from the post office. Am I reading this correct?
Yep, no rural delivery. I told Steve (our post master) that he could just drop it off on the way by. He replied that he probably drove past my place once a month and asked if that was regular enough.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday are mail days. The store changed hands a while back and if you are there on a non mail day they will not retrieve a parcel for you to save you time and fuel. It is a 25 mile one way trip.

gcreekrch said:
Dave said:
cfpinz said:

Monday, Wednesday and Friday are mail days. The store changed hands a while back and if you are there on a non mail day they will not retrieve a parcel for you to save you time and fuel. It is a 25 mile one way trip.

But do you get cleaned up on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to go get the mail?

jltrent said:
kenny thomas said:
You have a different kind of town than we do. One town has a feed store and a stockyard and a small convenience store. The other has a small super market and a Kubota dealer. The third town is where the courthouse is but not much else but a feed store and a stockyard. Sometime I look pretty bad when I unload at the stockyard but rarely go back home to change before the sale.
Sounds like you live in a poor place with not much going on.
Yep and you are further from town than I am. Your almost in another state.

Dave said:
gcreekrch said:
Dave said:

Most times I do wash my hands. The inhabitants of our little village either work and don't care or are drunks and don't care what others wear. If we do stop to eat at the local greasy spoon, I do take my dirty boots off at the door.

jltrent said:
Sounds like you live in a poor place with not much going on.

Can't farm on residential and commercial areas. Unless you are one of those idiots who think that farming is causing global warming and have the perverse idea to build facilities to grow plants indoors using LED lights.

gcreekrch said:
Dave said:
gcreekrch said:

Most times I do wash my hands. The inhabitants of our little village either work and don't care or are drunks and don't care what others wear. If we do stop to eat at the local greasy spoon, I do take my dirty boots off at the door.
they sounds just like the inhabitants of our little village :cowboy:

gcreekrch said:
Dave said:
gcreekrch said:

You have a store and a greasy spoon? Here I thought you lived in the middle of no where. Our greasy spoon shut down 5 or 6 years ago. The store has been gone so long that the building isn't even there anymore. Town has gone down hill to the point we don't even have a town drunk.

Dave said:
gcreekrch said:
Dave said:

You have a store and a greasy spoon? Here I thought you lived in the middle of no where. Our greasy spoon shut down 5 or 6 years ago. The store has been gone so long that the building isn't even there anymore. Town has gone down hill to the point we don't even have a town drunk.

Three stores although they are all struggling. One has a post office and liquor store and gas pumps that keeps them going, one has another liquor store and the third is on the Rez and supported by the Canadian taxpayers.

The welding shop shut down when the proprietor passed on two years ago and the other gas station shut down last fall. We do have a greasy spoon open 7 days a week with good food there.

A 7 million school built when the sawmill was operating in 2007 now has less than 35 students from k to 10 grades.

Last but not least, a 6 million dollar cop station with no less than 5 cops stationed here. They do pull over the odd speeder but the same drug dealers that were in business 30 years ago are still operating. A few more have joined in and see no obstruction it seems.

Life in the fast lane!

Dave said:
gcreekrch said:
Dave said:

Send me a link to that job posting :p

Nesikep said:
Dave said:
gcreekrch said:

Send me a link to that job posting :p
If I see it advertised I will send you a link. It is tough to maintain a good reliable town drunk when it is 30 miles to the nearest store selling booze of any sort. Fuel expense will cut into the booze budget.