Rawhide, I Still Watch

Help Support CattleToday:

Was a big fan as a kid . Get my hat , my guns , sing the song and ride my pretend horse . I've watched a few reruns but just can't get into it like I use to .

I understand about as we get older, there are so many things we need to do. Always something needs more attention than riding a horse. And years ago, horse riding was a great pass time for Americans. Now not so much. In the 60's and 70's, there seemed to be a horse in every pasture. Now those pastures are gone and in crops. There was a big saddle club always within a few miles and it would be packed on Saturdays where people enjoyed gathering and talking. Games and fun always going on. Barrels, Poles, flags and speed races. We had Western Pick up and scoop races. Those scoop races were crazy. Put a rope around the saddle horn and tie it to a corn scoop and someone sits in the scoop and you see how fast you can get back across the light. No one ever got hurt doing that or shall I say, no broken bones. But to see someone who was not used to knowing how to bank that scoop as they went around a curve, we all rolled and laughed as they went rolling across the dirt.

They would play music over the loud speaker while we rode and I learned to love, "Creedence Clearwater Revival," and songs of that era. Every time I hear music of that time, it takes me back to the "Frog Jump Saddle Club." We rode on Saturday nights, Sunday afternoons and Tuesday night.
What a childhood I had there!!

One of my neighbors has a mustang he rides. Big tall leggy horse for a mustang. Tough and pretty mean. At brandings nobody walks by him within range. And that is from either end. If he were to get off and try to hand me the reins I wouldn't take them. Even to just hold the horse. he says the horse will go all day and there is no such thing as ground too tough for him.
When he first got the horse he was riding in the timber and brush up Dark Canyon. They jumped a bear. The horse just took off chasing the bear trying to bite it. He said he wasn't sure who to be more afraid of, the bear or the horse.

One of my neighbors has a mustang he rides. Big tall leggy horse for a mustang. Tough and pretty mean. At brandings nobody walks by him within range. And that is from either end. If he were to get off and try to hand me the reins I wouldn't take them. Even to just hold the horse. he says the horse will go all day and there is no such thing as ground too tough for him.
When he first got the horse he was riding in the timber and brush up Dark Canyon. They jumped a bear. The horse just took off chasing the bear trying to bite it. He said he wasn't sure who to be more afraid of, the bear or the horse.
My kind of pony, lol...

Age does affect how you ride. At 69 I tend to use the trailer to swing a leg over in the morning. Cold weather can hurt like hell, but I'm still able to put in 10 or 12 hour days in the saddle when I need to.
Once I'm on I really don't hurt, it's like I'm supposed to be there, but you're right, getting on a big horse can be a little tough some times. It's just the balance thing that has me but I'm working on it

They said the mother of my horse Jigger was crazy as well as she was a Mustang. They said they hauled her in a trailer that did not have a top on it one day and she came out over the sides of it and didn't break anything. Ole Jigger, he was never going to hurt himself, but just scare the crap out of you and see if he gets the desired result. Ha-ha!! I have seen some of those Mustang sales on line and there are some beautiful horses there. Then some are pretty rough headed. But I see some of the pretty colored roans, and wish I had one. I love a real frosted roan color now that I have got older. When I was a kid, I did not like a roan because it did not shine and thought it always looked dirty. Funny how time changes us.

I watched Fury and the Lone Ranger as a young kid. As I grew a little older it was Rawhide and the Rifleman. I never could get excited about Bonanza, except it was the first show in "living color". We had to go to a neighbors to watch it in color for it was a long time before we got a color set. As I matured it was Lonesome Dove for me. I still watch the old reruns but the magic is gone.
What a different world it was then!

I watched Fury and the Lone Ranger as a young kid. As I grew a little older it was Rawhide and the Rifleman. I never could get excited about Bonanza, except it was the first show in "living color". We had to go to a neighbors to watch it in color for it was a long time before we got a color set. As I matured it was Lonesome Dove for me. I still watch the old reruns but the magic is gone.
I have never watched Lonesome Dove, just didn't want to sit that long. As I kid I liked watching The Big Valley.

I think I have seen all the shows at least 50 times, or most. Very occasionally I will see one that got past me. I think when the shows first came on, we were so excited to see what would happen. But still, the sound of the Westerns from Grandaddy's house is soothing.
Bonanza was not my favorite either @CowboyRam. I think when it first came on, the music I loved as they would show the map catching on fire and as they all rode up on their horses. That was the highlight. But something about that show would be goofy and not believable. Sort of a comedy thing or theme. Then as I got older, I understood that Hoss had moved out of the country because he did not like the US. The same thing Cher and Madonna say they will do and Alex Baldwin. Then Micheal Landon, he is not my favorite either and his monkey laugh was not cute at all to me. Micheal Landon wanted to run the show and so did Parnell. Parnell Roberts was angry beause he had to call Lorene Greene Pa, when he was close to the age. Not much cowboy in these characters. I don't care about watching the reruns at all.
I also like Lonesome Dove @Logan52. Quitley Downunder. One Western I really love, and the music is just a plus....is "Once Upon A Time in the West." Charles Bronson, Jason Robards, Henry Fonda and Claudia Cardinale. A great Spaghetti Western. (1968) That had some beautiful scenery, Music and horses. I love that horse that Henry Fonda rode. I can watch that movie all the way through each time it comes on.

The old Westerns are the best, but one that is a modern Western that involved New York City that I really enjoyed watching. It has Woody Harrelson and Keifer Sutherland was "The Cowboy Way." That was a funny movie and just good to watch. Woody Harrelson cracks me up. Woody is a great athlete and he is excellent at basketball and riding horses too. He has played some crazy roles.

I listened to the Lonesome Dove soundtrack CD just yesterday.
A great movie too. (I watched it with my kids when it first came out as a mini-series on TV. I did not care for the weekly tv show they made later, nor much for the other 2 Lonesome Dove movies.. sequel/prequel whatever they were)

But the movie they made from Elmer Kelton's book of the same name "The Good Old Boys" isn't bad either. Kelton was from San Angelo but was born in Andrews county and worked as a ranch hand on the big (it was then anyway) McElroy Ranch out at Crane when he was younger.

(It was on the McElroy ranch back in the mid 90s that I sure thought I was gonna drown, smack in the middle of one of the driest parts of Texas)

I only went to kindergarten two weeks. On the second day, when the bus got to my house, this cute little girl next to me at the back of the bus said "Why don't you use that door?" I did, and was banned from riding the bus. Turned out that little girl was Clayton Moore's (the Lone Ranger') niece. How many men can say their problems with women began with the Lone Ranger's niece?

Once I'm on I really don't hurt, it's like I'm supposed to be there, but you're right, getting on a big horse can be a little tough some times. It's just the balance thing that has me but I'm working on it
Same here. One of the first things I've been teaching colts for the last 20 years is to let me mount from the fender of the trailer or protein tub. Having my trifocal glasses showing up in two weeks. Can only imagine the vertigo I'm going to have the first time or two I'm horseback when I get them.

I only went to kindergarten two weeks. On the second day, when the bus got to my house, this cute little girl next to me at the back of the bus said "Why don't you use that door?" I did, and was banned from riding the bus. Turned out that little girl was Clayton Moore's (the Lone Ranger') niece. How many men can say their problems with women began with the Lone Ranger's niece?

"but but but, She told me to do it!"

Didn't have kindergarten where I lived back then. I'm glad of it too.

I love the fat horses. They are glorious. Those on Gunsmoke are great. I always look at Matt Dillion's horse as it is not a Quarter Horse, yet, I have seen that horse hit a lick.....a running walk and he picks his legs up high in the front end. Yet, I have seen that same horse trot. Is this a Morgan or can someone tell me what that horse was?
I read at the beginning of the series, that Matt Dillion and Ben Cartwright shared the same horse. But I don't remember seeing Ben's horse picking his feet up so high.

I read where Trigger was a Walking horse, and I never remember seeing him trot. Trigger pranced and ran. He had that build, and he was beautiful as well, but never owned a gaited horse before.
Yes, Buck was an AQHA reg quarter horse. Lorne Green ended up buying him after Gunsmoke went off the air. I heard he died in 1992..at 45 years old. And the original Trigger was a reg TWH.
How many of you ride now? What is the oldest person you know riding? I have much strength, just a bad knee and neck right now, but I will prevail.....
I ride every day, almost, and I am 67. Had a cousin that died last month at 96. She still rode until 3 years ago. Shot doves this last opening day, and was such a good bass fisherman, that one of her sons who fished BASS tournaments, would take her on the Guys & Dolls tournaments, She last fished one in 2020.,..when Joe, her son, got to where was no longer able to fish tournaments. I know several men that rode into their 80's. My next door neighbor growing up, had TWHs and rode til he died at 86. He had a Merry Go Boy son that lived to be 45... 1947-1992.

Latest posts