Run thru that!

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a heifer that I was finishing out one time that had been weaned for several months but would go through 8 strands to get back to her mama, ended up having to put her in a welded wire lot to keep her in until she was finished. I was never so glad for one to go to butcher.

I had a bull one time just go through a good section of fence like it wasn't even there. He was scared and he just whomped right on through it. I came so very, very close to just dragging the iron out and doing away with him.

When I was younger the neighbors had two herds of cattle separated by a black top two lane. A couple of years in a row, the one big Angus bull would start bellering at the bull across the road and he would walk through 6 strand's of tight barbed wire like it wasn't there. You could hear the wires zing as he walked through them. After he started doing it whenever he felt like napping on the road, (the second year,) they got rid of him. He almost got hit multiple times, it's Amazing how fast people can stop, when there's a ton and a half of bull laying in the road...

I don't plan on holding bulls with it, just for clarification. 🤣

I AM going to attempt to wean my calves from the lease place on this lil acre. Almost all the calves I put here ALWAYS try to run thru that north fence to get to the mamas here.

I do have ONE calf here that will go in with the group. We will see how it goes I guess.

As an aside....
It's amazing how even lil animals respect a hot wire after they've been exposed for a week or two. I've let Bessie and Eleanor out on some (short) grass. They will have about 5 acres to graze for a while with their babies so I can still feed em seperate til grass really comes on!

Babies contained by a single wire.....
I wasn't fast enough with the camera, but the two closest had just come to a sliding stop and turned to graze! 🤣
20230412_181255.jpgScreenshot_20230412-183810_Gallery.jpg

I know it sounds kind of twisted but I always chuckle when the new calves touch the hot wire for the first time. It's even funnier when a couple others come up and touch it right after the first one.

I have some places where it's just a single high tensile wire and I always get a kick out of it when the calf goes under getting shocked and then realizes it has to come back through. Most of the time that cures them.

Looking at changing some of mine to seven strands...let me know how it's working for you
I've got 6 strands on the short east side.
This is a very light test as this heifer calfs mama is on the property. So it's fenceline weaning for her and she has 2 buddies in with her that are very weaned.

The south end is 5 strands as well as the west side.

ALL has a good solid Hot down the middle.

This has been amazingly simple so far. She respects a fence and has not attempted to get thru it. She has checked the hot a time or two. I think it helps that this "pen" is about an acre. So they ain't crowded at all. And have a lil room to roam.

If I can get a couple more bought reasonable, I'll give it a better test and let ya know. My existing corner posts were a bit shorter than I would have liked. So the corners are a tad shorter than the main run of fence. I was real worried she would try n jump it to get to mama. So far, so good!!

I've got 6 strands on the short east side.
This is a very light test as this heifer calfs mama is on the property. So it's fenceline weaning for her and she has 2 buddies in with her that are very weaned.

The south end is 5 strands as well as the west side.

ALL has a good solid Hot down the middle.

This has been amazingly simple so far. She respects a fence and has not attempted to get thru it. She has checked the hot a time or two. I think it helps that this "pen" is about an acre. So they ain't crowded at all. And have a lil room to roam.

If I can get a couple more bought reasonable, I'll give it a better test and let ya know. My existing corner posts were a bit shorter than I would have liked. So the corners are a tad shorter than the main run of fence. I was real worried she would try n jump it to get to mama. So far, so good!!
A guy that is going to do some better fencing for me in a "strategic" area suggested the use of seven strands instead of five (most of mine are 5)...he said that if the fence is easier for the cow to see, they are less likely to try to go through it. It should be noted that I have been culling out cows that had gone wild before I got moved back out to the home place. Most have taken to the "re-domestication" program with a few exceptions...I think I've only got two left that are, let's say, unpredictable. They will be gone Sept-Oct after weaning their calves. Just interested in seeing how cows react to the 7 strand fence.

A guy that is going to do some better fencing for me in a "strategic" area suggested the use of seven strands instead of five (most of mine are 5)...he said that if the fence is easier for the cow to see, they are less likely to try to go through it. It should be noted that I have been culling out cows that had gone wild before I got moved back out to the home place. Most have taken to the "re-domestication" program with a few exceptions...I think I've only got two left that are, let's say, unpredictable. They will be gone Sept-Oct after weaning their calves. Just interested in seeing how cows react to the 7 strand fence.
I gotcha.
No crazies/fast cows here. Mama puts zero pressure on it. She's the one in my avatar pic. They can still touch noses etc.

That heifer I got Saturday went out in the weaning area with Big Sister and Lil Sister and the project brahma cross.
Shes been living in the trailer since Saturday. Fresh water, hay and feed daily. She's seems to see I'm not the boogerman so I thought we would try the weaning area on an unknown calf. So far. So good...
She got a taste of the hotwire once so far. And with the rains we've had, it'll BITE!!!
The audible MOO-AWRR gets me every time!
🤣

O! Edited to add...
The reason they sold the cow and calf was they kept escaping. She's got a couple buddies. We will see. She's a fine looking heifer. Cost me twice what the brahma cross did. Be interesting to see which heifer is more profitable this fall!

🐃🐃🐃🐃
20230516_184142.jpg20230516_184858.jpg

Looking at changing some of mine to seven strands...let me know how it's working for you
I've weaned a couple in there so far.
No issues!
Even the south side that is 5 strands works pretty good.

My thinking is this..
Any calves I put in there are going to test the north or east side. East side is 6 strands.
That's the sides the cows are on. Thats also the sides they test. They've had a taste of the hot and they just stand at the fence and bawl after that.

Latest posts