Still change clothes for "town run"?

Help Support CattleToday:

If i am going to bank, school something or meeting i put on clean clothes. Most of the time it is a major inconvenience for me to go to town and i don't have time anyway so i go as is, but don't wear rubber boots to town ever i hate the things anyway.

Shower and clean clothes, always casual. If I have to dress up I'll find an excuse not to attend :D

herofan said:
I always change to go into town. I wear my oldest stuff on the farm and usually look like a hobo while working, and if I'm doing anything at all, I'm usually dirty and possibly bleeding.

It's been cold around here lately, I noticed people were wearing 2 pair of pajamas to Wal-Mart! :roll:

It depends on where I might be going. I will sometimes stop on my way home in the morning from testing cows if I need something but not if I am really smelling like the parlor/barn. I used to get into clean jeans and shirt and my better western boots to go to the livestock auction.... but I was a younger single female so why not try to look "nice".... never know who you might meet. Now, I will still change into clean clothes to go to town because I get tired of always smelling like the barn. Don't ever wear my barn boots into anywhere unless it might be the vet's in an emergency. If I have errands to do, I will put on clean clothes that I can test in, leave however much earlier that is needed, and do the errands on the way to an afternoon farm to test. I hate making special trips to town. Since I am going through at least 1-4 times a week according to my testing schedule, I try to just save time and gas by not making special trips. I can also remember when people would just get dressed "nicer" to go places, and I still do to some extent. Cannot imagine wearing, what some wear out in public nowadays.

jltrent said:
ALACOWMAN said:
Majority of the time it's jeans and boots..but I wear my pajamas and house shoes to Walmart ..
Is that you?

ZU-se0Nev4.jpg

Looks like he had a rough night or to much fun. 🤷🏽‍♀️😊

Boss showers and puts on clean clothes. If we blow a tire or hydraulic hose mid day I go with what I got on.

If going to bank, or taxes I try to be showered and nice clothes.

Going to salebarn and to grab feed and make a deposit at bank I'm wearing what i got on.

cowgal604 said:
Always.

I am on my 4th outfit so far today.

4am Gym outfit
6 am Farm outfit
8 am Business outfit
10am City outfit when I am done for the day

I live in the city and work in the country. For 6 more months. Will be interesting to see if my attire goes down once I move out to the country full time. I'll see far less people.

This reminds me of how people used to dress up to fly. Now when I travel I am just grateful the person next to me is wearing shoes.

I'm on my forth day with the same outfit...

Good post. I was looking back at some very old pictures of a local sale barn and folks were dressed up.

I compare that to the local sale barn. Only thing filthier than the folks there is the language. Can't hardly take kids there.

This time of year, I wear full coveralls (insulated of course), so I'm clean underneath. Just put a coat on instead of coveralls. Although, I have been known to jump in truck in coveralls, depending on quick I need to get something.
Always depends on where I'm going if I change or not.
And yes, used to only see people in fancy outfits to fly, now, everything goes! I dress "decent" to fly.

dave_shelby said:
Good post. I was looking back at some very old pictures of a local sale barn and folks were dressed up.

I compare that to the local sale barn. Only thing filthier than the folks there is the language. Can't hardly take kids there.
never dressed up to go to the stockyard..but I do scrape my boots off ...I usually get all my cussing done back home at the loading chute.. :lol:

You have a different kind of town than we do. One town has a feed store and a stockyard and a small convenience store. The other has a small super market and a Kubota dealer. The third town is where the courthouse is but not much else but a feed store and a stockyard. Sometime I look pretty bad when I unload at the stockyard but rarely go back home to change before the sale.

Depends on which town. My little town where I get the mail the only thing there is the post office. And the counter is only open from 8:00 to 10:00. Ranchers stop in to pick up their mail driving quads, side by sides, tractors, feed trucks, pickups pulling stock trailers, and I would be certain people have stopped to pick up their mail while horseback. I will guarantee you none of these people clean up. Wife pointed out one person showed up at our little church in hip boots one time during irrigation season.
In a county where the cattle out number the people by at least 5 to 1 you will see ranchers and cowboys in town pretty much anytime you go to town. Some are in their work cloths, some get cleaned up. My guess is that it depends on what their mission is at that time. But the same can be said for the town people. Some are always cleaned up and some are never cleaned up.

The last few years I've come to love overalls and wear those most of the time. If I go to down I may change into a pair of jeans. I do still shave every other day. No need to dress up if I'm going to town because all I'm going to see is farmers and cattlemen dressed just like me. I will usually wear jeans and a button up shirt if we go out at night.

Shower and change, unless I'm just rushing in to the farm store and clothes I'm wearing are relatively clean.
Keep separate clothes for town, when they get old they become farm clothes.

Since family moved here I've very often given them lifts to various places - no time to change, I'm driving in boots and overalls and sometimes full waterproofs and liberally splashed in cow manure. I find getting out of the driver's seat highly embarrassing.
And since moving to the hills I decided anti-perspirant was a complete waste of money and time. So prefer to be clean for the more sensitive noses out there.

I guess part of the change has come because of people having more and different levels of clothing.Dad was born in the 20s.Back then people probably only had either "dress" clothes or working clothes and nothing in between.I know when I was little he wore a suit to take me to a Dr or dentist appointment. No casual clothes then unless you count dress pants and a sunday shirt with no tie.
Another thing probably is that people are operating wider and also need things from suppliers more often.Back then,a trip to the city to market, coop,etc was an event.Also,when I use "town",I'm not referring to our small communities somewhat nearby."Town",to me, is the county seats of the two counties we straddle.Both are about 30 miles away.

dave_shelby said:

The Saturday market in Harrisonburg?

Dave said:
Depends on which town. My little town where I get the mail the only thing there is the post office. And the counter is only open from 8:00 to 10:00. Ranchers stop in to pick up their mail driving quads, side by sides, tractors, feed trucks, pickups pulling stock trailers, and I would be certain people have stopped to pick up their mail while horseback. I will guarantee you none of these people clean up. Wife pointed out one person showed up at our little church in hip boots one time during irrigation season.
In a county where the cattle out number the people by at least 5 to 1 you will see ranchers and cowboys in town pretty much anytime you go to town. Some are in their work cloths, some get cleaned up. My guess is that it depends on what their mission is at that time. But the same can be said for the town people. Some are always cleaned up and some are never cleaned up.

From your post, I'm assuming there is no mail delivery in your area - you have to pick it up yourself from the post office. Am I reading this correct?

kenny thomas said:
You have a different kind of town than we do. One town has a feed store and a stockyard and a small convenience store. The other has a small super market and a Kubota dealer. The third town is where the courthouse is but not much else but a feed store and a stockyard. Sometime I look pretty bad when I unload at the stockyard but rarely go back home to change before the sale.
Sounds like you live in a poor place with not much going on.

TexasBred said:
The last few years I've come to love overalls and wear those most of the time. If I go to down I may change into a pair of jeans. I do still shave every other day. No need to dress up if I'm going to town because all I'm going to see is farmers and cattlemen dressed just like me. I will usually wear jeans and a button up shirt if we go out at night.

Overalls!! I practically live in them during the summer because they're waaaay cooler than jeans (baggy/air flow) but my legs are still protected. And I do wear them to town.

Latest posts