Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Help Support CattleToday:

Big Cheese, how does that 3 or 4 month calving period match up with your best forage growth?

Thought I would try the picture thing. Not a great pic but this is an angus bull I've been using on some F1 brafords and some other crossbred cows.

B&M that's a funny lookin cow in the far left! :lol:
Glad that you got the picture posting down.
Looks like you have a pretty good bull also.

anewcomer":2khcfxd3 said:
Big Cheese, how does that 3 or 4 month calving period match up with your best forage growth?

It worked well this year because most of the calves were born during January and February so when the grass started coming in they were big enough to eat it and grow. With us running our bulls year round though most of them will move up a month or more in their calving so next year they will probably mostly calve from December to January...the majority anyway. So to answer your question there will be times it matches up well with our forage growth and there will be times when it doesn't. We only took 4 big calves through the winter last year but there will probably be more this year. We don't have a certain calving period its just most of our cows all calve during a 3-4 month window....the time just changes every year.

If I had to have the calves during a certain time of year to meet forage forage growth I would probably have them during the months of November and December and maybe January so that they will be big enough to handle the tough part of winter and big enough to eat the grass when it comes up. Our neighbor has his during that time frame and his calves do really well and sell really well. He didn't lose any calves during our tough winter we had this year.

Nice looking bull there Highgrit. I like a good Hereford bull. They are my 2nd choice behind Charolais for my pasture. There is just something about those white face calves that I just like seeing.

highgrit":2o0lnlpj said:

He's a Hereford, not a Beefmaster but his calves put the beef on.
That the one that threw the spotted calf?

dieselbeef":669u4k64 said:
old bull went 1895 lbs on the mrkt scale sunday..he was a bigun

Good check and down payment on the new one. He always looked heavier than that.

fitz":3sd1mli2 said:
dieselbeef":3sd1mli2 said:
old bull went 1895 lbs on the mrkt scale sunday..he was a bigun

Good check and down payment on the new one. He always looked heavier than that.

:nod: :nod:
I was thinking the same thing. With any luck the check should go a long way towards what you paid for the new bull.

Good luck with the new guy.

Latest posts