Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Help Support CattleToday:

Dsteim":2a3n9kwr said:
Bought a new herd bull last week he's a Gamechanger son.

Good looking bull! I like those Game Changers. I went up to 8 on one at the Mound Creek sale, couldn't get him bought but of course the next bid bought him. Todd is a good dude I think you will be happy with that bull.

I think I know the bull you're talking about it was the high selling GC son right? My dad and I went to the Mound Creek sale to look at some of the GC yearlings before we bought ours from Todd. I really like the calves out of GC. We bought a best bet cow from him last year and the bull this year. Have you seen GC live? That dudes a beast.

I took this today. This is a June 16 3/4 blood Simm Angus, weighed 1200 a few weeks ago (before he was a year old). He is in the top 3% for weaning weight EPD and top 10% for yearling EPD. His dam is an Upgrade sired 3/4 blood cow that produces a good one every year. His sire is HPF Optimizer, from Select Sires.
Here is a link to his pedigree: https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=3120507

iba13m.jpg

Fire Sweep Ranch":1dqfsx0y said:
I took this today. This is a June 16 3/4 blood Simm Angus, weighed 1200 a few weeks ago (before he was a year old). He is in the top 3% for weaning weight EPD and top 10% for yearling EPD. His dam is an Upgrade sired 3/4 blood cow that produces a good one every year. His sire is HPF Optimizer, from Select Sires.
Here is a link to his pedigree: https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=3120507

iba13m.jpg

Love the nose ring.

What can you tell me about your development program Fire Sweep? How much feed to your bulls get and when do you start your feed program and when do you taper it off?

Thanks in advance.

TennesseeTuxedo":2ph2gfas said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":2ph2gfas said:

iba13m.jpg

Love the nose ring.

What can you tell me about your development program Fire Sweep? How much feed to your bulls get and when do you start your feed program and when do you taper it off?

Thanks in advance.

We try to keep them at 2% of their body weight on a bull ration, with rumensin, from weaning until they are sold (we sell them from 9 months old to 12 months- I just put this guy up for sale today, thus the picture). So, he should be getting 24 pounds a day at 1200 pounds. He is more likely getting 12, since there are two bulls in the pasture and they were on 25 pounds a day for both (the other bull is a late September bull we weaned about 60 days ago). He is on pasture that is mostly fescue, with a little bit of clover. We do not overfeed our bulls, most of our buyers want to put them right to use, so they have to be ready to go to work, albeit light work (we suggest no more than a cow per month of age of the bull, so no more than 12 cows to start off). Our bulls DO NOT start on grain until they are weaned. We wean most of our bulls at 6 to 7 months old, and they are usually around 600 to 700 pounds so we start them slow on the bull ration until we get them up to speed.
Does that answer your questions? I send you a nose ring in the mail if you think it would look stylish on your bull! :lol2: :tiphat:
The nose ring is a necessity for showing; any bull over 9 months of age has to have a nose ring to be shown. We never use it though.

Fire Sweep Ranch":7k4i481y said:
TennesseeTuxedo":7k4i481y said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":7k4i481y said:

iba13m.jpg

Love the nose ring.

Thanks in advance.

We try to keep them at 2% of their body weight on a bull ration, with rumensin, from weaning until they are sold (we sell them from 9 months old to 12 months- I just put this guy up for sale today, thus the picture). So, he should be getting 24 pounds a day at 1200 pounds. He is more likely getting 12, since there are two bulls in the pasture and they were on 25 pounds a day for both (the other bull is a late September bull we weaned about 60 days ago). He is on pasture that is mostly fescue, with a little bit of clover. We do not overfeed our bulls, most of our buyers want to put them right to use, so they have to be ready to go to work, albeit light work (we suggest no more than a cow per month of age of the bull, so no more than 12 cows to start off). Our bulls DO NOT start on grain until they are weaned. We wean most of our bulls at 6 to 7 months old, and they are usually around 600 to 700 pounds so we start them slow on the bull ration until we get them up to speed.
Does that answer your questions? I send you a nose ring in the mail if you think it would look stylish on your bull! :lol2: :tiphat:
The nose ring is a necessity for showing; any bull over 9 months of age has to have a nose ring to be shown. We never use it though.

Appreciate the good information you shared. I saved a May 25th bull from last year and he weaned at 8 months at a 1,000 even and I never fed him anything after weaning and was never creeped but him and his mother were on wheat pasture for 8 weeks before weaning. Just put him on wheat pasture after weaning until it was finished. He got cake 1-2 times a week when we checked them. I didn't weigh him at a y/o but sure he is over 1,200. I debated on feeding him some and may regret not doing it but decided he was so big at 8 months it was best to let him slow down a little.Turned him out with 4 hd a week ago and will add 2-4 more as the summer goes along. Your development program sounds very solid without overfeeding them like so many do.

elkwc":383cn7ol said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":383cn7ol said:
TennesseeTuxedo":383cn7ol said:
Love the nose ring.

Thanks in advance.

Appreciate the good information you shared. I saved a May 25th bull from last year and he weaned at 8 months at a 1,000 even and I never fed him anything after weaning and was never creeped but him and his mother were on wheat pasture for 8 weeks before weaning. Just put him on wheat pasture after weaning until it was finished. He got cake 1-2 times a week when we checked them. I didn't weigh him at a y/o but sure he is over 1,200. I debated on feeding him some and may regret not doing it but decided he was so big at 8 months it was best to let him slow down a little.Turned him out with 4 hd a week ago and will add 2-4 more as the summer goes along. Your development program sounds very solid without overfeeding them like so many do.

Very impressive, where are you located and what are you raising?

TennesseeTuxedo":xrlegvlr said:
elkwc":xrlegvlr said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":xrlegvlr said:

Very impressive, where are you located and what are you raising?

TT I run my cattle in with the Lady I go with. She is located in west central OK. The calf is sired by registered Angus parents. His sire is a son of HD that is proving to be a top sire. He sired the top performing bull at this winters Green Springs RFI bull test in MO. His calves have a lot of natural growth to them. And his heifers are proving to be very good mothers. The breeder that owns him and that I purchased the dam from as a bred cow feeds out everything they don't keep for bulls and any females that aren't kept or sold for replacements. 100% of the sires calves on feed last year graded choice. The calfs dam is a daughter of War Party out of a good producing cow that has produced several herd bulls with a lot of bone. This calf isn't perfect but feel he will work well on the cows I give him. Going to give him a few heifers this summer also. Although her herd is mainly Angus she has some crosses. Most are mainly black. I purchased what I felt were the best buys when I started buying mine. Have a few registered Angus cows, a few commercial Red Angus cows and we purchased some nice Hereford heifers this winter. May add a few more Herefords. The one thing I will watch when selecting cows to mate him too is milk production. His mother is borderline on being too heavy a milker. I will match him mainly with cows we need to add some milk too. Have one nice Connealy Consensus 014E daughter that doesn't milk very well. Hope he will add some milk to her. He is square, deep and soggy. In a few years I will be able to tell you more about him. Will only breed 6-8 to him this year. And if there is wheat pasture will put him on it next winter. One thing is his weight is very solid. No extra fat.

Fire Sweep Ranch":2rnv3eg7 said:

iba13m.jpg

I posted this guy for sale on Monday evening, $3000. He walked on the new owner's trailer this morning (36 hours later). The people who bought him were looking at the last bull I posted and sold in April (an Upgrade sired one that I put pics on here before I sold also). Except they called right after I sold that bull, and missed out. This was another Facebook sell.
So thankful for the good blessings we get!

Dogs and Cows":2z74i86g said:
I posted this guy for sale on Monday evening, $3000. He walked on the new owner's trailer this morning (36 hours later). The people who bought him were looking at the last bull I posted and sold in April (an Upgrade sired one that I put pics on here before I sold also). Except they called right after I sold that bull, and missed out. This was another Facebook sell.

I don't know how to use facebook...how do you sell on there? Are there sales pages or something?

Thanks FSR!

Tim[/quote]

There are lots of groups on Facebook to sell stock. I am in about 10 of them, some local, some that cover all over the US. My April Upgrade bull went to Texas, so he was seen on one of the wider Facebook groups. This is one example (if the link will work):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Registe ... al.Cattle/

If the link does not work, try searching for it. You can post just about anything in just about any group! Hope that helps...

Fire Sweep Ranch":z4t6lbc8 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":z4t6lbc8 said:

iba13m.jpg

At $3k that was a great deal for the purchasers. Meant to comment before but that is as thick a young bull as I've seen. Very nice. I really need to try this Optimizer bull out on my cows.

Latest posts