Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Help Support CattleToday:

Good Hereford bulls can be found most anywhere. All it takes is time to hunt them down and lots of money to buy. But that is true for all breeds of bulls really.

SPH":2hjszmw9 said:
glacierridge":2hjszmw9 said:
SPH you've a lot of nice stock and I too am not the biggest Hereford fan.
A lot of the local ones here look pretty peaked and sad, a lot of hobby breeding in this area I think.

Thanks. We only feed out about 3 or 4 bulls a year from the top end of the calf crop and the rest are steered. I follow a group on Facebook where people post Hereford cattle for sale and I just cringe sometimes at some of the photos and asking prices on said animals. Someone posted one the other day of a 4 year old bull that basically looked like a cow with nuts asking $3500 for him and to say the bull looked like a cow with nuts may have even been too generous as we have cows with more muscling than that bull did. Sometimes people will comment on those and it's interesting to see the conversations that ensue.
SPH, I follow the same page on FB and I couldn't agree with you more!!

3waycross":1bo9fozc said:
SPH":1bo9fozc said:
Workinonit Farm":1bo9fozc said:
SPH really NICE. That 1st pic, really very nice for a yearling.

As Toad stated, there's not much, in the way of Herefords, that are as nice as those around here. ("helper bull".......LOLOLOL)

Have you VA guys ever looked into Knoll Crest Farm in Red House, VA? They have some pretty good Herefords, in fact they use a lot of the Revolution and On Target genetic lines that we have been using lately along with some other pretty proven Hereford lines too. They do fall and spring calving so they usually have 2 sales a year.

Knollcrest is where Double V and I bought our current Gelbvieh bull. He was the last son of their famous Kingpin bull that they ever raised.

Their sale was April 11th. I went over the sale book so many times and watched the videos. Like a kid in a toy store. Every sale they have I come to my senses in realizing that's a whole different league and no need for me to attend. I'd come home feeling like the kid that didn't find any presents under the tree. The sale reports are coming out soon and I'm anxious to see where the Waylon angus bulls sold. Top of the line bull crop in all breeds presented.

There are good Hereford bulls in the Virginias, you just have to sort through them, like any thing else.

TN Cattle Man":85gvfsxl said:
SPH":85gvfsxl said:
glacierridge":85gvfsxl said:
SPH you've a lot of nice stock and I too am not the biggest Hereford fan.
A lot of the local ones here look pretty peaked and sad, a lot of hobby breeding in this area I think.

Thanks. We only feed out about 3 or 4 bulls a year from the top end of the calf crop and the rest are steered. I follow a group on Facebook where people post Hereford cattle for sale and I just cringe sometimes at some of the photos and asking prices on said animals. Someone posted one the other day of a 4 year old bull that basically looked like a cow with nuts asking $3500 for him and to say the bull looked like a cow with nuts may have even been too generous as we have cows with more muscling than that bull did. Sometimes people will comment on those and it's interesting to see the conversations that ensue.
SPH, I follow the same page on FB and I couldn't agree with you more!!

Like these...

10641132_859274947477672_2897060497980050988_n.jpg

10464376_10200315036114093_1961832252134992577_n.jpg

Argh, you'd hope they have someone as a mentor that would be upfront with them and tell them that is not how Hereford bulls are supposed to look. Most of us have cows with heavier muscling than that probably. That last photo is a coming 4 year old they are asking $3500 for. If they find some sucker to pay that for him I'd love his number because we send steers to the feed lot that probably look more masculine without their nuts than any of those bulls do.

Those two yearlings are poor quality but the mature bull below definitely has some potential. You put about 400lbs on him and he'd look much different.

bulldurham":2us1yxzu said:
Those two yearlings are poor quality but the mature bull below definitely has some potential. You put about 400lbs on him and he'd look much different.

He's a 4 year old cow with testicles

3waycross":rpvt06vj said:
bulldurham":rpvt06vj said:

He's a 4 year old cow with testicles

Exactly, you shouldn't have to put 400lbs on a 4 year old bull either and can you really say that a 4 year old has "potential?" at that age. You could say that about a yearling or 2 year old but at 4 years he's done growing and is what he is. I know bulls can thin out some while they are working but he doesn't even have any masculinity to him to say he's just in poor condition

He's just in pour condition. That's a pretty decent bull. Good length, super deep chested, strong loin/top, great hip-both in terms of length hooks to pin and being nice and level all DESPITE being in a BCS of 3.

I've seen good bulls in bad conditions and they still have masculinity to show...but this pic shows a crappy bull in good condition.

no offense but if that is the picture of his nuts @ 7 months he might be a little underequipted.

WarEagle73":fo9q87xu said:
Bull we bought back in December. Simangus born Sept. of 2013. Came from a full feed bull test station. First pictures are the day he was purchased.

This was about 3 weeks ago. Has been with Heifers since March 1st, Turn in with Cows about April 1st.

This Past weekend.

He seems to have shed a bit of that fat, but still just as thick as the day we got him in my opinion.
I like the big white house with porch around it

1982vett":1085y8lt said:
AdamsCreek":1085y8lt said:
He's not much to look at but he does his job and makes a little calf
But he has a nice pen.... :D
I wanted to do it like the rest of my corrals but the price of pipe went way up and my desire to work that hard went way down in the last 17 years.

Latest posts