Buying a bull, confidently

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We see post, or threads...whatever you want to call them, on these boards, about the problems...some even horror stories... that members encounter when buying a bull. There are at least 3 members on here, that have sterling reputations for selling top quality bulls, that they stand behind 100%. An Angus, a Simmental, and a SimmAngus breeder with track records of very satisfied clients. And these bulls' prices are inline with prices I see at sales, and with prices that people have posted they paid for bulls that didn't work out. I am sure that there are similar breeders on here that sell bulls of other breeds. I understand transport cost can be a factor, but dang...if I was in Washington or Oregon., I'd rather pay to ship a @gizmom bull from Fla, or a @simme bull from South Carolina, because you'd KNOW the bull will be 100% what they told you he'd be, than to chance buying one off the internet, or a closer breeder that I didn't know. Same thing if I was a Simm producer in California...I would pay the extra to get a @Jeanne - Simme Valley bull from upstate New York, for the same reasons.

I wonder if a separate category " Bulls For Sale", could be added to the Forums for just this purpose? And maybe another one...or it could be included in the "" Bulls For Sale" forum, for people who custom haul, like @kenny thomas ( and again I am sure there are other CT members who do this)? Not commercial, 18-wheeler cattle haulers.

I have an Angus and a 3 Simmental breeders within 10 miles of my house but traveled last year to SC to buy my bull. Working on buying his half brother now from the same breeder.
All the local breeders are very honest but neither listen to my wants. Maybe what i want isnt mainstream but i still like some frame on my bulls.
Think about it this way, if its 200 miles to pick up a bull, 400 round trip. Even if your only getting 10mpg thats less than $150 in fuel. A day to do it. Over the lifetime of a bull that's not much.

I have an Angus and a 3 Simmental breeders within 10 miles of my house but traveled last year to SC to buy my bull. Working on buying his half brother now from the same breeder.
All the local breeders are very honest but neither listen to my wants. Maybe what i want isnt mainstream but i still like some frame on my bulls.
Think about it this way, if its 200 miles to pick up a bull, 400 round trip. Even if your only getting 10mpg thats less than $150 in fuel. A day to do it. Over the lifetime of a bull that's not much.
Yep! I saw the pics of those 2. They look every bit as good as the ones you and @ClinchValley86 got last year. That only supports even more the quality and consistency of the man's breeding program. That's why I think a separate forum for this would be beneficial. That way, you don't have to scan the entire CT hoping you might run up on a post about these people's bulls.

What I like about the three I mentioned, is they don't engage in chest-thumping, boasting and bragging. They just put out information....never see them bashing other breeders, and they are a wealth of information. Very helpful to those on here with questions. It is what their customers....like yourself... say about them and their bulls, that drew my attention to them. And the fact they raise top-quality cattle. :)

I don't have a dog in any of their hunts. Never met them, bought cattle or anything from them. And they may not give a red rat's patooty about my opinions...probably a lot on here don't. But, if there was one forum, for them and other breeder's like them to share information on their bulls and a place for their customers and associates to put comments, it may develop into a valuable resource for people looking for a bull. Eventually. maybe, there would be a nation-wide network of quality bull producers. all in one place on here.

Location matters. Excellent bulls in the south would not hold up at 6-10000ft elevation. Doesn't mean the bull is not top quality. Just not the correct option.
The best bull for some herds isn't necessarily the best for another herd.
The bull to buy is the one that works best in your herd and location!

Location matters. Excellent bulls in the south would not hold up at 6-10000ft elevation. Doesn't mean the bull is not top quality. Just not the correct option.
The best bull for some herds isn't necessarily the best for another herd.
The bull to buy is the one that works best in your herd and location!
Yep. And hopefully if that forum is created, CT members who are bull producers from all over the country would participate.

Been emailing Ms Gizmom ( Gilmores ) thinking of replacing an older bull with a younger. She provided pictures, epd's, and description of the 2 she has for sale . Good breeders want you to be satisfied and be a return buyer . Not exactly what I want # wise . No pressure from her and I appreciate her honesty. One bull not aggressive but she said he was one that would give you that look like he was thinking about it .Again I appreciate her honesty and I will get back with her this fall when she has a younger group ready. She is about 6 hrs from me and lives close to an aunt of mine . So I'll go visit this fall .

Latest posts