Registered or commercial Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1el9kxms said:
novaman":1el9kxms said:
I understand that quality usually comes with a price. My question is why would anyone spend $2500+ on a cow and expect to get her to pay that off and eventually make money? I would rather spend bigger money on a good quality bull as he is half of your future genetics (on the cows he breeds). One cow will only produce a small percentage of the future genetics.
When a couple of her daughters sell for the same 2500 or a bull for 5000 it seems that would pretty well answer that. It's always a crap shoot

That is were the reputation comes in. Hard to sell 2500 daughters when you are just starting out.

I think Novaman and I are thinking alike on this one. No offense CPL

1500 and A-I to good bulls will get you there faster I think.

Give Christian a break, or better yet re-read his original post. He has more cowsense and common sense than most people 4 times his age.

KNERSIE":1wcqylvc said:
Give Christian a break, or better yet re-read his original post. He has more cowsense and common sense than most people 4 times his age.

I agree with that. I just dont agree on the price thing. Christian has a very good eye for cattle and has a very nice herd from what I have seen on here. We have attended the same sales and have offten had the same cow marked to buy. He is probably farther ahead than me and deffinatly has more cowsense than I do. It is the price thing when I go figuring it doesnt pencil out UNLESS you can sell $2500 daughters and $5000 bulls. Without a reputation you will not sell very many 2500 cows.

JHH":1jrjyeaj said:
KNERSIE":1jrjyeaj said:

I agree with that. I just dont agree on the price thing. Christian has a very good eye for cattle and has a very nice herd from what I have seen on here. We have attended the same sales and have offten had the same cow marked to buy. He is probably farther ahead than me and deffinatly has more cowsense than I do. It is the price thing when I go figuring it doesnt pencil out UNLESS you can sell $2500 daughters and $5000 bulls. Without a reputation you will not sell very many 2500 cows.
It's part of paying your dues. To get the reputation you have to sell animals. From the registered sales I've been to the really good animals sell well even without a reputation behind them. The reputaion starts to help with the seond teir cattle, still good animals, just not the top.

IF you are trying to make a fast buck on a cow, paying $2500 in most cases is too much. However if you see the cow as a type changer, if she is truly the kind of cow you believe whole cow families in your herd can be built around and the purchase will positively impact your program for decades to come I don't see $2,500 or even $4000 (around here that is a wore out pickup truck with 150,000 miles) as being too much to invest. I don't know that I have enough confidence in my animal evaluating ability to go that far out on a $4000 (or more) limb; but it just seems like it is a whole lot easier to multiply cows with the right phenotype to begin with than it is to ever breed up to them.

KNERSIE":1pqgr1lq said:

:hide:

Brandonm22":nuqdtl83 said:
it just seems like it is a whole lot easier to multiply cows with the right phenotype to begin with than it is to ever breed up to them.
You learn well Grasshopper

Brandonm22":vr64fp2p said:
IF you are trying to make a fast buck on a cow, paying $2500 in most cases is too much. However if you see the cow as a type changer, if she is truly the kind of cow you believe whole cow families in your herd can be built around and the purchase will positively impact your program for decades to come I don't see $2,500 or even $4000 (around here that is a wore out pickup truck with 150,000 miles) as being too much to invest. I don't know that I have enough confidence in my animal evaluating ability to go that far out on a $4000 (or more) limb; but it just seems like it is a whole lot easier to multiply cows with the right phenotype to begin with than it is to ever breed up to them.

Agreed. When I get this much money into a cow, it's frequently to add her genetics to my own herd through heifer retention or producing a cleanup bull. Also, people spending this kind of money may also be doing ET work to magnify the impact of that investment into their genetic pool.

nobody has mentioned what can happen when things go bad.here awhile back i was thinking bout buying a $3000 reg beefmaster pair with heifer calf.well i didnt buy that pair because i was doing other things at the time.i asked about the pair when i was buying some cattle for my nephew.an the foremen told me she slipped in the mudd an dislocated her hipp.so if id bought her it most likely wouldve been $3000 down the drain.

bigbull338":1w1cvk09 said:
nobody has mentioned what can happen when things go bad.here awhile back i was thinking bout buying a $3000 reg beefmaster pair with heifer calf.well i didnt buy that pair because i was doing other things at the time.i asked about the pair when i was buying some cattle for my nephew.an the foremen told me she slipped in the mudd an dislocated her hipp.so if id bought her it most likely wouldve been $3000 down the drain.
Exept for the insurance paying for her.

bigbull338":1ewo6py1 said:
i know if she wouldve been here wouldnt be no ins on her.
For those kinds of dollars it seems foolish to NOT have insurance

dun":a9satdr2 said:
bigbull338":a9satdr2 said:
I know insurance is available but haven't looked into it. What companies provide livestock insurance and is there a recommended one to go with?

tncattle":3bxevorz said:
dun":3bxevorz said:
bigbull338":3bxevorz said:
I know insurance is available but haven't looked into it. What companies provide livestock insurance and is there a recommended one to go with?
You could look at Farm beureu or whoever carrys your regular farm insurance.

tncattle":2pesjq44 said:
dun":2pesjq44 said:
bigbull338":2pesjq44 said:
American LIvestock is one of the best for specific animal coverage
www.Amlivestcok.com

bigbull338":2jf7ueov said:
NOW I don't beleive this you were actually thinking of spending $3000 dollars on a reg cow
Now why would you do that when you can buy the best reg cow out there for $1500
Oh I see you were just thinking about it and didn't actually have any intention of doing it
because it is easier to $crew some poor college kid out of his reg cows for $850

wrong AC id spent the $3000 for that pair in a heartbet.but me an my buddy couldnt come to terms on the deal.as for the $850 reg paints,that was about all they was worth.because i wouldve given him $3800 for them.but that wasnt his asking price.i made him an offer to take all 3 when i just wanted the cows,an he took my offer.talked to a friend about the price after i bought them.an he said the boy was lucky to get that as paints dont bring squatt now.then i was at a sale.an this red cow came in with black an white speckled heifer calf an sold for $1800.if the heifer calf wouldve sold at sale barn she bring $400 because of color.i got screwed on the paint deal because they bred angus.an i have to sell the calves at the sale barn.so i figure we are even on the deal.

Latest posts