Hereford or Brahman?

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know where you live in Arkansas... but my first real acreage was in NW AR and I had a neighbor that lost a great Brahman bull during a cold snap. Brahma don't tolerate cold well.

Personally, I'd suggest sticking to one breed for a couple of years and learn everything you can from them before stepping out into other breeds. Especially if you are working with registered stock. You don't see many registered stock sources that maintain two breeds. I have seen them do some crossbreeding as a promotional tool to show how their breed can be used in crossbreeding, but they usually stick with a single breed and become expert in that breed.
Okay thank you. That sucks your neighbor lost the Brahman bull.
I'm 30 minutes from Conway. So I will probably just stick with Herefords then

@Hereford Lover101 I'm sorry if you personally feel like somebody is "doing your thinking for you" as that was not my intention. All I meant to convey is that if you're planning to have both anyway, the crosses can make a good additional revenue here and there.

Time to go collect my check from my breed promotion... Lol. Some people around here need to check and see if their hat is made of felt, straw, or tin foil.

@Hereford Lover101 I'm sorry if you personally feel like somebody is "doing your thinking for you" as that was not my intention. All I meant to convey is that if you're planning to have both anyway, the crosses can make a good additional revenue here and there.

Time to go collect my check from my breed promotion... Lol. Some people around here need to check and see if their hat is made of felt, straw, or tin foil.
It's totally fine, I didn't feel that way at all. It just feels like y'all are giving me good ideas on what I can do and how I can be smart about doing all this. So don't worry about it at all, I really appreciate the help and advice I've revived from ya, so thank you 😊

It's totally fine, I didn't feel that way at all. It just feels like y'all are giving me good ideas on what I can do and how I can be smart about doing all this. So don't worry about it at all, I really appreciate the help and advice I've revived from ya, so thank you 😊
I wouldn't much call it help, but I'm glad it had some value to you.

Okay thank you. That sucks your neighbor lost the Brahman bull.
I'm 30 minutes from Conway. So I will probably just stick with Herefords then
Not trying to push you any particular way, it's your decision to make. Most of us are pretty good at giving advice whether it's worth much or not.😂
If I were starting out, knowing what I know now and looking at the choices you have mentioned, I would lean towards starting out with Herefords.
That being said the fact that you are near Conway AR, I would not be afraid at all to add some Brahman cattle. There are no doubt quite a few in the area. My wife is from Southeast OK just little ways right across the AR state line from Ft. Smith AR. There are a lot of Brahman and Brahman cross cattle in the area.
Here in KY, there are not as many, but they are some around. The Brahman crosses I have had have done fine and I really believe they could be beneficial in a lot of herds.

My reason for recommending the Herefords is the versatility along with handling ease. You can go reg herf or show animals. You can breed to brahmans and make F1s. As a fall back, because some times life happens, you can always run a good angus bull and sell meat or even go to the auction barn. You will have A LOT of options with a good set of hereford cows, IMO.

A good point was brought up about cross breeding. If you go that route with a Brahman you definitely want to deal with well known breeders. Let them know you goals so they can help size up a bull accordingly.

May not want to breed Hereford heifers to Brahman bulls, those cross calves can be huge at birth. Maybe use a easy calving Brahman bull over Hereford cows.
Probably be better to have a Hereford bull with Brahman cows. In that particular cross, Brahman cows are less likely to have trouble calving.
@Hereford Lover101 , KY Hills gave some good advice. Brahma buls on british cows, sometimes result in humongous bull calves. Heifer calves, not so much. In the 60's everyone learned about Br bulls on Hereford and angus cows the hard way. However, in the last 60 years there have been a lot of changes to the breed, and you can get Brahma bulls that you can use on British cows. You tell the Brahma person you are buying the bull from, and they will sell you one that you could use safely. Best no doubt to use Bra cows and Herf bull, but you are looking at $2500+ for a Bra cow vs $1k for a Hereford cow. If you don't have a lot of cows, then you can AI some Hereford cows with sexed Brahma semen selected for heifers.

@Hereford Lover101 , KY Hills gave some good advice. Brahma buls on british cows, sometimes result in humongous bull calves. Heifer calves, not so much. In the 60's everyone learned about Br bulls on Hereford and angus cows the hard way. However, in the last 60 years there have been a lot of changes to the breed, and you can get Brahma bulls that you can use on British cows. You tell the Brahma person you are buying the bull from, and they will sell you one that you could use safely. Best no doubt to use Bra cows and Herf bull, but you are looking at $2500+ for a Bra cow vs $1k for a Hereford cow. If you don't have a lot of cows, then you can AI some Hereford cows with sexed Brahma semen selected for heifers.
Hey, when do you collect your check for breed promotion? Mine is late. According to some folks here, we should be cashing in ;)

Hey, when do you collect your check for breed promotion? Mine is late. According to some folks here, we should be cashing in ;)
LOL. I saw that comment by one of the Hateful 8. What breed are you supposed to be promoting? They never told me, so I might not be doing a good enough job to get paid. You back in Texas or still in Alabama?

LOL. I saw that comment by one of the Hateful 8. What breed are you supposed to be promoting? They never told me, so I might not be doing a good enough job to get paid. You back in Texas or still in Alabama?
I guess I'm promoting Brafords. Back in Bama again. Working, trying to hunt me up some damn fence help on that place, and trying to draw up plans for a better working pen to drop in the corner of the fenced center field chamber, all that's on that place is a little jerry-rigged job for working with horses. Also, that mare that was being kept in that center chamber died, a tree fell on her. It wasn't a big tree, but it hit her just right.

I guess I'm promoting Brafords. Back in Bama again. Working, trying to hunt me up some damn fence help on that place, and trying to draw up plans for a better working pen to drop in the corner of the fenced center field chamber, all that's on that place is a little jerry-rigged job for working with horses. Also, that mare that was being kept in that center chamber died, a tree fell on her. It wasn't a big tree, but it hit her just right.
damn! That sucks about the mare!

Latest posts