Bull chase

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I have a charolais-Angus cross that has begun to bag up heavily. I have her down for April calving. Today I notice while riding pasture looking for newborns, my bull and this cow were walking a back fence away from the herd. I kept watching them as I rode around and the bull is walking this cow all over the place. This evening when I went to check water here they came by the coral fence, her in front and him behind. He hasn't tried to mount her, just walking. Is this normal and he thinks she is cycling? I have never seen this with a pg cow and bull. The other cows pay it no attention.

Wait, I need clarification. Just re-reading the post and the math isn't working for me. You have her down for April calving and she's just now bagging up on 5/14 and your last response was the 16th? So, she's either way overdue or didn't settle the first time you saw the bull on her. Is it possible she already had a calf and is hiding it somewhere? Or lost it, hence the big bag?

I do agree it's preferable to keep the bulls away during calving but acknowledge that's not always an option.

I would check to see if she really does have a calf in there.

Ken
I don't know how to check this and the last vet I could find that would come out is over 75 miles. And took 3 days to get here. Cat and dog vets around here.

Last edited:
Wait, I need clarification. Just re-reading the post and the math isn't working for me. You have her down for April calving and she's just now bagging up on 5/14 and your last response was the 16th? So, she's either way overdue or didn't settle the first time you saw the bull on her. Is it possible she already had a calf and is hiding it somewhere? Or lost it, hence the big bag?

I do agree it's preferable to keep the bulls away during calving but acknowledge that's not always an option.

She is over due according to what I had her down for. I have found no signs of miscarriage and she still looks like any day now. I have also looked for a calf but none found. Evidently I have an incorrect date of ETA on her. Wouldn't surprise me if it don't show up this evening. It's lightning and raining heavy here now. Last 2 I had born was during a severe storm with lots of rain. One calf named Stormy and the other Wet Weather.

Latest posts