Purebred Seedstock Opportunity

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to get into the seedstock business by buying an established operation. The current owner is having to liquidate for reasons that can't be avoided. I'm not gonna list individual prices for all animals. I'm also not gonna disclose the breed bc I want unbiased answers. It is a very common beef breed. The breeding strategy was sound and animal EPDs look good. Not extraordinary but above average. I am also fond of the breed. Any inputs or constructive criticism is welcome.

Yearling heifers $1000/ea
Yearling bulls $1000/ea
2.5 year old bulls $1500/ea
3.5 year old bull $1500/ea
13 year old cows $800/ea
3 year old pairs $2000/ea
Various other middle aged and cows with minor problems are available.

I'm definitely buying all 3 older bulls. Thinking of buying the yearling heifers and starting slow. Thoughts on this or other options?

JMJ Farms":1zernnko said:
I have the opportunity to get into the seedstock business by buying an established operation. The current owner is having to liquidate for reasons that can't be avoided. I'm not gonna list individual prices for all animals. I'm also not gonna disclose the breed bc I want unbiased answers. It is a very common beef breed. The breeding strategy was sound and animal EPDs look good. Not extraordinary but above average. I am also fond of the breed. Any inputs or constructive criticism is welcome.

Yearling bulls $1000/ea
13 year old cows $800/ea

I'm definitely buying all 3 older bulls. Thinking of buying the yearling heifers and starting slow. Thoughts on this or other options?

I ran a registered herd for twenty years my advice is to start slow.
Your selling your name along with the cattle.
Just because it's registered doesn't make it seedstock IMO.
I always felt the bottom 30% should be culled as such whether going into a commercial operation or the salebarn.
Most important again IMO to remember the commercial cattlemen sets the market, he is your number one customer.

My 2 cents.

Without question, I would buy the 13 year old breds first - they are diamonds to have made it that far. Might only get another couple years out of them, and might have to baby them a little. But the heifers off of them are keepers, and maybe even a bull, and you won't be in to them for big money.

Caustic Burno":3pdqncpf said:
JMJ Farms":3pdqncpf said:

Yearling bulls $1000/ea
13 year old cows $800/ea

I ran a registered herd for twenty years my advice is to start slow.
Your selling your name along with the cattle.
Just because it's registered doesn't make it seedstock IMO.
I always felt the bottom 30% should be culled as such whether going into a commercial operation or the salebarn.
Most important again IMO to remember the commercial cattlemen sets the market, he is your number one customer.

My 2 cents.

I think that's good advice CB. All of it. Thank you.

Aaron":21vi69z8 said:
Without question, I would buy the 13 year old breds first - they are diamonds to have made it that far. Might only get another couple years out of them, and might have to baby them a little. But the heifers off of them are keepers, and maybe even a bull, and you won't be in to them for big money.

I thought they were priced very fairly Aaron. They are dang near worth $800 as commercial. Not quite but I just thought it was very reasonable.

Also, the owner was very forthcoming with information. Owner told me that one older cow had a worn out bag, that one older cow was losing condition, that one 3 year old had a previous uterine prolapse, that one 5 year old always raised a healthy but small calf. And then the owner told me about the others and the good qualities they had. There are only (8) 13 year old cows. (6) are problem free. I feel they are good for one more calf at a minimum. And at a risk of only $4800, I think it's well worth taking as well. What's the worst that could happen? You lose $4800 if they die on the trailer on the way home. Get (6) purebred calves that make the cut and you've got a good head start. What you think about the $1k yearling heifers?

JMJ Farms":3tbusx0j said:

Yearling bulls $1000/ea
13 year old cows $800/ea

Mike

Those are very low prices for seedstock. Is he just extremely motivated or is the quality of his seedstock that poor? $1000 each for yearling heifers and bulls??? Those look like commercial cattle prices not seedstock prices. If those prices represent what you can get for yearling seedstock bulls and heifers, those prices will not begin to cover your expenses.

Bright Raven":1fvrvok0 said:
JMJ Farms":1fvrvok0 said:

Yearling bulls $1000/ea
13 year old cows $800/ea

Mike

Those are very low prices for seedstock. Is he just extremely motivated or is the quality of his seedstock that poor? $1000 each for yearling heifers and bulls??? Those look like commercial cattle prices not seedstock prices. If those prices represent what you can get for yearling seedstock bulls and heifers, those prices will not begin to cover your expenses.

Exactly. I haven't put my eyes on them. I have however seen pictures and they are way above average. I hope to make the trip this weekend. Pictures look really good. I have looked at each animals individual EPDs on the breed website and they are good. Not top of the breed across the board but generally no more than 5 traits below breed average and most have 3 or less traits below breed average.

Extremely motivated would be correct.
It is a sale under duress. Long story short, residential expansion is creating liability issues that they are not willing to risk. It's apparent that the have a very healthy portfolio and this was a hobby. They are also 70 years old. Very attached to their animals and are way more concerned about the welfare of the animals than the money. I stumbled upon them by pure accident. It's something I have contemplated for some time but never thought my pocketbook would allow it. The breed is very popular. Bulls the quality of the ones I'm buying are in the $3500-4000 range here right now. The bulls I'm buying have excellent EPDs and phenotype, with 3 traits in the top 10% and 6 traits in the top 25%. They are a steal. One bull only has 3 traits below breed average. The other has 4 below. I don't have any doubt I can sell the breed. Or the quality. But is it a worthwhile venture to be in the Seedrock business? Everything tells me yes. I guess Im just look for reassurance to make sure I'm not missing anything and to determine the best route.

Should have mentioned earlier. It's pick and pay. Don't have any obligation to buy any certain number or any combinations. It's whatever I want and leave the rest.

Provided its not some wingding breed like highland cattle, or miniature xyz - go for it. Calve the 13 yr olds and send em down the road.

JMJ Farms":6efls1bc said:
Bright Raven":6efls1bc said:
JMJ Farms":6efls1bc said:

Yearling bulls $1000/ea
13 year old cows $800/ea

Mike

Exactly. I haven't put my eyes on them. I have however seen pictures and they are way above average. I hope to make the trip this weekend. Pictures look really good. I have looked at each animals individual EPDs on the breed website and they are good. Not top of the breed across the board but generally no more than 5 traits below breed average and most have 3 or less traits below breed average.

Extremely motivated would be correct.
It is a sale under duress. Long story short, residential expansion is creating liability issues that they are not willing to risk. It's apparent that the have a very healthy portfolio and this was a hobby. They are also 70 years old. Very attached to their animals and are way more concerned about the welfare of the animals than the money. I stumbled upon them by pure accident. It's something I have contemplated for some time but never thought my pocketbook would allow it. The breed is very popular. Bulls the quality of the ones I'm buying are in the $3500-4000 range here right now. The bulls I'm buying have excellent EPDs and phenotype, with 3 traits in the top 10% and 6 traits in the top 25%. They are a steal. One bull only has 3 traits below breed average. The other has 4 below. I don't have any doubt I can sell the breed. Or the quality. But is it a worthwhile venture to be in the Seedrock business? Everything tells me yes. I guess Im just look for reassurance to make sure I'm not missing anything and to determine the best route.

Should have mentioned earlier. It's pick and pay. Don't have any obligation to buy any certain number or any combinations. It's whatever I want and leave the rest.

Thanks. I can understand his concern about wanting them to go to someone who he knows has good animal husbandry skills. I have never sold a yearling bull for less than $2,500. You simply cannot get a registered bull to 12 months old, pay to register it, pay for a BSE, vaccinate, etc and sell for less. In fact, $3 to 4 K is more appealing.

In terms of the heifers, buy every one that came off the old 13 year old cows and be very choosey after that, if at all.

Aaron":1w3rl907 said:
In terms of the heifers, buy every one that came off the old 13 year old cows and be very choosey after that, if at all.

Based on the fact that longevity is a highly inheritable trait?

JMJ Farms":3ybjt2wn said:

Yearling bulls $1000/ea
13 year old cows $800/ea

Backing up a couple of points others have said ...

1 -- As soon as those critters get off the trailer, they're yours. Anything you sell that comes from those cattle will begin bearing your reputation, and not the reputation of the one selling them to you.

2 -- Selling seedstock can be a very (!!) competitive business. This is both good and bad.

3 -- Other than them dying, the worst thing that happens is you make an enormous amount of ground beef and sell it off the farm.

4 -- If you want to grow your numbers, and if it's not too late to sex the pregnancies, I'd give serious thought to asking to have all the pregnancies sexed and buy any female carrying a heifer. On the flip side, if you think you're going to be a bull-selling-machine, buy all females carrying bull calves. Same thing applies to buying pairs. Get the heifers if you're growing your herd; get the bulls if you think you're going to have a market for them.

5 -- The old girls are a steal!! Even the ones that aren't trouble free ... get their calves on the ground and if they can't make it with their calf, sell them and buy a nurse cow until they can wean (wean them early at around 4mo; you can creep them along after that, and by the time they're old enough to breed, they should be fine).

6 -- Regarding the yearling heifers, I'd be inclined to buy them all (if your checkbook can handle it) and run them all in a very tight breeding window (possibly starting with AI) of maybe 45 days, keeping the breds and selling the opens ... or, absent that, you could maybe get a gate cut based on whether or not they have an active CL? If they do at this age, then they definitely will when it's time to breed them. I believe differently than many, that fertility is more heritable than is commonly believed -- if it weren't, then I don't understand what I see when I look out at nature.

7 -- If it's got a wonky temperament, do not buy it regardless of the price ... unless you're planning on taking it straight to the butcher. Bad temperaments is the quickest way to get a bad reputation as someone selling breeding stock.

8 -- If you buy a ton of his herd, ask him if he'd give you whatever leads he has on selling breeding animals; maybe even offer him a referral fee if any of them turn into customers in the next year? If he'll agree to something like that, he may give you an even better deal on whatever animals you buy.

9 -- If you have time, test all females for neospora; don't buy any that have it. There is no cure and it can wreck havoc on herds ...

10 -- If any of the pairs are both nice critters in their own right and are bred (to a bull you like), I think that's a really good price.

Feel free to contact me privately if you'd like to talk about any specific thoughts I have about narrowing your choices among the younger animals.

Good luck to you!

Update. I guess I am no officially in the purebred business. I will not call myself a breeder yet as I will be the very first to admit that I've got a lot to learn. I do feel like I bought some very nice animals for a more than fair price. I ended up buying (3) 13 year old cows, (1) 10 year old cow, (5) cows between 2.5-6 years old, (8) yearling heifers, (1) yearling bull, and (3) bulls from 2-3.5 years old. Got them hauled yesterday. I will post a couple of pics for judgement. Oh yeah, they're Limousins, not Angus. Let the bashing begin :hide: :lol2:

Yearlings

Yearlings

2.5 yr old bull

3 yr old bull

2 yr old bull

Love that guardrail fence. Good luck to you! I know very little about Limousines besides judging practice out at Wulf Farms in Morris, MN. But they definitely have their place in the cattle world.

Franke said:
Love that guardrail fence. Good luck to you! I know very little about Limousines besides judging practice out at Wulf Farms in Morris, MN. But they definitely have their place in the cattle world.

It holds up very well! I don't know a lot either, except that we really like limousin bulls on commercial cows. These cattle have a couple of different WULF lines in them. Appreciate the wish for luck. I'm gonna need it!!

Pick either what you like to make and stick with it or find out what sells and learn to like it...Ha but hopefully they are one in the same.

Latest posts