Purebred Angus bulls without papers

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never turned down a customer in my life, my family has been in the seafood restaurant business since 1938. I was taught at a young age the customer is always right, if their not happy make them happy. Of course it's not possible to do in every case, because in the restaurant business you serve their meal and drinks before you get paid.
Branded for some reason you just can't help yourself from running folks down. Your blessed to have family land, and been in the Angus business for years and are still searching for your path. You don't do any of your own AI or ET work, and probably have never gotten any crap on your hands. Just give people a break, if they have a job and do right why the heck run someone down. I'll give you this, you have the perfect running mate in Raven.

Muddy said:
Well I know for sure that I don't feel comfortable with buying animals from a Sim breeder in KY.

I think I can survive as long as I want to without your patronage. That is assuming you even have a bank account.

Enough of the bickering, move on.

Bright Raven said:
This got lost back on page 24 when emotions were running high. I would like to bring it forward for discussion now that we are past the "my dad can whip your dad". "No he can't". "Yes he can". "No he can't". "Yes he can".

Branded raised an issue that I don't remember ever being discussed on the forum.

Do any of you who sell livestock via private treaty ever screen the buyer? Do you have standards that a buyer must meet before you are comfortable selling him an animal. The reason that was of interest to me is because I got a call last week from a friend who told me what happened to a couple heifers I sold last fall under the CAIP program.
Some things get lost because of a lack of interest or avoidance of an answer and such.
We have a 4 page questionnaire we send to any potential buyer.Things like favorite color, favorite country music singer, where you were born, where is SAV, your favorite bull, ... I have had to turn down several because they thought modern yellers of words were country music singers and did not select the color blue. Some were even those dreaded commercial cross breeders. Oh my! :lol:

Ebenezer,
Funny. too funny.

I have sent heifers to a place that didn't know what stocking rate was. By the time I got there to deliver them it was too late. I did attempt to mentor them on stocking rates and supplementation. At the end of the day, it is two adults coming to a agreement. I see you concern BR but if you wanted everyone to care of them as well as you did you would literally have 0 customers in the whole state of KY.

************* said:
Midtenn said:
Funny how those who brag about working so hard and taking better care of their land and cattle than everyone else have so much time to post on here in daylight hours. We dont have time for that here not even in monsoons like today (and yesterday).

I guess some folks prefer to work smarter than harder.

It comes down to the 7 P's of planning in the end.

Proper preparation prevents poor performance.

I only get five. What are the other two?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
************* said:
Midtenn said:
Funny how those who brag about working so hard and taking better care of their land and cattle than everyone else have so much time to post on here in daylight hours. We dont have time for that here not even in monsoons like today (and yesterday).

palaver, palter

I want to know how the ''good'' breeders are keeping there cattle out of the killer mud? I would not buy stock from a seller that kept cattle in the conditions that are described in this thread. :cry2:

When someone tells me "if a bull doesn't do what I want them to do I beat em in the face with a metal pipe" I just simply end the conversation. That happened once. Why would I ever sell a moron like that an animal? I've never had to beat an animal with a metal pipe and had plenty of success in moving animals where I want them to go. In fact I can usually move them without screaming.

Watch this video, when I first saw it I said to myself, "how can anyone do this?" Then after years in the business I realized for some it's no problem at all.

https://youtu.be/ASE2CX8Kpuc

True Grit, I have gotten plenty of manure on me and had lots of late nights. I think you would say "what the he.ll if you saw how run down and old my facilities are, or how bad my fence looks, but one thing that's definitely not up for discussion is how well our animals are cared for. They come before everything. By the way, i'm going for AI training this week, have been trying to do it for a long time but classes weren't offered or already filled. I have a great AI guy who once had a dairy, he's a gem, and I feel bad about pulling work from him, but I know I will be a lot more effective being able to do it myself exactly when I want to do it. Ron had a talk with me about that. Also, I figured that once I get to AI'ng 100 plus per year, that it would be more cost effective.

When you don't have any standards for who you sell to, that will reflect back upon you in time. There are plenty of cattle out there and plenty of buyers. The people I've sold to, luckily have been the type that care for their animals, and not all of them were rich folks. One good indicator is if the people don't spook the animals when being near them. Overall, my animals are pretty docile, and when someone buys a bull they can usually walk around them, even touch them without a problem. When the metal pipe guy walked around them they walked away. That's called bad energy.

I get the feeling that you DO NOT abuse your animals and I'm pretty sure you know what what I'm describing above.

mwj said:
I want to know how the ''good'' breeders are keeping there cattle out of the killer mud? I would not buy stock from a seller that kept cattle in the conditions that are described in this thread. :cry2:

It's nearly impossible, and they have to be moved often. Yesterday we had almost 2.5 inches of rain, hard to keep a field looking good or an animal mud free in those conditions.

Some people hold their cattle in a particular area so as not to ruin all their pastures, that's understandable, not feeding them anything but moldy hay in those conditions is not understandable.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
************* said:
Midtenn said:

"Proper Prior Planning Prevents Pizz Poor Performance"

At our place, we try to give every newborn a big hug! :cboy:

************* said:
mwj said:

It's nearly impossible, and they have to be moved often. Yesterday we had almost 2.5 inches of rain, hard to keep a field looking good or an animal mud free in those conditions.

Some people hold their cattle in a particular area so as not to ruin all their pastures, that's understandable, not feeding them anything but moldy hay in those conditions is not understandable.

I would think anyone that stores hay outside will be feeding moldy hay in this weather. Hay is just getting harder to come by every day. You've brought moldy hay up a few times, what is wrong with feeding moldy hay besides the cattle don't like it as well? I've sure fed a bunch and haven't noticed any problems.

************* said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
************* said:

"Proper Prior Planning Prevents Pizz Poor Performance"

I think I see a pattern here. Sometimes one can say more with fewer words and still convey the message.

True Grit Farms said:
************* said:
mwj said:

I would think anyone that stores hay outside will be feeding moldy hay in this weather. Hay is just getting harder to come by every day. You've brought moldy hay up a few times, what is wrong with feeding moldy hay besides the cattle don't like it as well? I've sure fed a bunch and haven't noticed any problems.

I've talked with my vet, and a nutritionist at Southern States, as well as a commercial operator, AND a guy that produces excellent hay. They all told me pretty much the same thing. It can cause a cow or heifer to abort, and or it can cause fertility issues.

Yesterday I was pitched AND convinced to switch my entire mineral program over to Gro-Tec Ag Land Fescue 7. I was told that it would help with fescue issues in the hay, but would also help minimize any issues with moldy hay. The hay I'm feeding right now is wrapped haylage, but I've definitely seen mold in the past and did not feel good about feeding it out.

I've sold hay to the Amish before, hay that for some reason or the other, got hot after baling it with too much moisture and I figured would have mold, they bought it for $10 a bale and said, "it's no problem for us, we will grind it up with other stuff and make it work" Which I'm sure it did.

As you can tell, I'm a "belt and suspenders" type of man. I only want to AI once if I have to and I want it to stick. I value my time, mostly so I can post on CT, LOL, I kid! All joking aside, I don't want to feed anything that might cause a pregnancy to not stick.

I would feed straight corn before paying $100 a roll for moldy hay, which people are doing right now. Our local Southern States got a load of range cubes in this week, but I'm not sure that will be effective as most people would be wasting them if they threw them on the ground, and many don't have any feed bunk method to feed.

midTN_Brangusman said:
Never had an issue feeding cows moldy hay. horses on the other hand is a different story.

Here is an article about how it can cause abortions in cows and heifers

http://bit.ly/2NiKFce

Like I said, I would feed corn, take the worry out of losing calves and wait for the grass to start soon.

Some things we do around our place to help with what mother nature throws at us is....

We plant Sorguhm/Millet on the terraces in the spring. Never harvest. Once we start calving (after several hard freezes), we pair them out to that but in increments. We'll hot fence small sections off and move it back when needed. The calves can still get under it and seek shelter in the tall grass but we have sheds that are hot fenced as well. This has helped keep the mud away and sickness down the last couple years we've done it. Our weather right now, we'll have 0 degrees and 6 inches of snow one day and then a warm spell of nearly 50 degrees for 3 days. So our pens do get muddy. Then ice again.

We also use corn stalk bales and our haybuster to bed things down so our critters have a clean/dry/warm place. Sometimes it is necessary to bed down every day out in our pens.

Our pens all have a rolling slope to allow for most precip to drain off but come rainy season we just wrestle the mud like everyone else. It certainly helps but you can't win that war. Sometimes we'll pair out to our back pasture and feed them there till things green up and we can get them to other pastures.

DO NOT FEED STRAIGHT CORN DOING SO WILL KILL A COW. I'm sure you probably know this and were only joking around but someone somewhere might read this and think it's alright to feed straight corn. I've read reports like those on moldy hay and aborting, breeding back just never seen it first hand. I feel moldy hay is being fed and the quality is questionable at best, and add no supplementation you have problems.

************* said:
True Grit Farms said:

I've talked with my vet, and a nutritionist at Southern States, as well as a commercial operator, AND a guy that produces excellent hay. They all told me pretty much the same thing. It can cause a cow or heifer to abort, and or it can cause fertility issues.

Yesterday I was pitched AND convinced to switch my entire mineral program over to Gro-Tec Ag Land Fescue 7. I was told that it would help with fescue issues in the hay, but would also help minimize any issues with moldy hay. The hay I'm feeding right now is wrapped haylage, but I've definitely seen mold in the past and did not feel good about feeding it out.

I've sold hay to the Amish before, hay that for some reason or the other, got hot after baling it with too much moisture and I figured would have mold, they bought it for $10 a bale and said, "it's no problem for us, we will grind it up with other stuff and make it work" Which I'm sure it did.

As you can tell, I'm a "belt and suspenders" type of man. I only want to AI once if I have to and I want it to stick. I value my time, mostly so I can post on CT, LOL, I kid! All joking aside, I don't want to feed anything that might cause a pregnancy to not stick.

I would feed straight corn before paying $100 a roll for moldy hay, which people are doing right now. Our local Southern States got a load of range cubes in this week, but I'm not sure that will be effective as most people would be wasting them if they threw them on the ground, and many don't have any feed bunk method to feed.

They're more likely to die from eating corn, and improperly wrapped hay, than abort from mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts