American Aberdeen Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with American Aberdeen Angus? Formerly known as Lowline cattle.
We purchased a few to add to our full size Angus herd. Thinking they would be good for those who want a 1/2 of a beef but don't have someone who can buy the other half. An Aberdeen is basically a 1/2 a cow at slaughter. They are allegedly known for super docile temperament. So far not our experience. They claim their ability to be very efficient on grass is unbeatable and the bulls are great to use on standard heifers due to their calving ease. The 1/2 breed calves sell well. Especially crossed with wagyu. Not something we plan on doing but it's quite popular and the breeders I have talked to about it sell for high prices.
Having said all that so far our experience has been horrible. Just wondering if anyone here has experience with them and what their feelings are on them. I am ready to sell them all to homesteaders and be done with them completely. Before their transferred registration papers have even arrived.

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with American Aberdeen Angus? Formerly known as Lowline cattle.
We purchased a few to add to our full size Angus herd. Thinking they would be good for those who want a 1/2 of a beef but don't have someone who can buy the other half. An Aberdeen is basically a 1/2 a cow at slaughter. They are allegedly known for super docile temperament. So far not our experience. They claim their ability to be very efficient on grass is unbeatable and the bulls are great to use on standard heifers due to their calving ease. The 1/2 breed calves sell well. Especially crossed with wagyu. Not something we plan on doing but it's quite popular and the breeders I have talked to about it sell for high prices.
Having said all that so far our experience has been horrible. Just wondering if anyone here has experience with them and what their feelings are on them. I am ready to sell them all to homesteaders and be done with them completely. Before their transferred registration papers have even arrived.
Day to day management really shouldn't be any different with these than standard angus and I would imagine temperament would be more related to that individual animal than the breed itself. I'm curious as to why such a bad experience?

I have percentage Aberdeen cattle (because people I sell beef to don't want a full-size half). We had one bull calf that would aim for your knees if you walked in the pasture. He tasted good. Definitely less meat per animal than full-size cattle-pro or con is however you interpret that. But their yield seems better as far as dress-out.
There are some very reputable breeders who are breeding for production qualities, some strictly for show, and "reproducers" who register every animal regardless of merit-and sell to fill the "mini-cow" craze.
They work for us, but disposition is one of those absolutes that we use for cull criteria. Have only had 2 in 6 years that earned the freezer legitimately.

I raise American Aberdeen for the direct to consumer meat market. #freezerbeef. I'm expanding and improving pastures so that I can keep more of them adequately. Hate to hear that your experience with them has been horrible. Care to expand on that?
The first red flag was the breeder couldn't catch them in near a week. Of course I wasn't told until I'd driven a days drive in winter weather to see them. On under 100 acres this blew my mind. These cattle are supposed to be docile and easy to work with. I saw signs of bad feet in younger stock. It was hard to see the feet though in deep snow. I was told they are very sensitive with strangers. That seemed like another red flag for me. Some of the herd had their heads up high with the high ears and took off for the far side of their pasture. I really was trying to trust the breeder. When I got a few picked out I really felt like I should have left with an empty trailer. Unfortunately for us I did pick up a few and when I took them to the vet to get their transport papers they were wild as could be. By this time it was pretty much too late to back out. 99% are quite standoffish. 1 ended up being returned. She was down right dangerous. Kicked the snot out of my trailer. Destroyed the footing in my corrals (now cow belly deep mud) and charged us a few times. She even sees us from far away and would start quivering and pacing the corral pushing on the panels looking for a way out. Thankfully I never let her out of the corral or I have no doubt we would have been chasing her for miles. So all that to say, bad feet and wild temperament are the biggest concerns. I have always culled hard for temperament and honestly only 1 (yes 1) has a decent temperament. I am waiting for their registration papers to be sent but I suspect putting them in peoples freezers would be the best for everyone. Some are pregnant so that adds another delay in a decision. I really just want them all gone honestly. Docility is one of their claims to fame and that is absolutely NOT what we are experiencing. This is not a new breeder either. Thanks for the response.
Day to day management really shouldn't be any different with these than standard angus and I would imagine temperament would be more related to that individual animal than the breed itself. I'm curious as to why such a bad experience?
That's what we were told. On the temperament I agree except they all seem to be on the hotter side. That's why I was asking here. Everyone here is usually pretty honest either way. I want to be sure it is just this experience and not the breeds fault. I spoke to another breeder last week in another state and they don't have any full bloods anymore and did say they have some they cull for their temperament. I've hesitated to reach out to other breeders because they seem to figure out who these came from. They are a known breeder. I don't want to bad mouth them I am just so frustrated with the entire situation.
I have percentage Aberdeen cattle (because people I sell beef to don't want a full-size half). We had one bull calf that would aim for your knees if you walked in the pasture. He tasted good. Definitely less meat per animal than full-size cattle-pro or con is however you interpret that. But their yield seems better as far as dress-out.
There are some very reputable breeders who are breeding for production qualities, some strictly for show, and "reproducers" who register every animal regardless of merit-and sell to fill the "mini-cow" craze.
They work for us, but disposition is one of those absolutes that we use for cull criteria. Have only had 2 in 6 years that earned the freezer legitimately.
That is the reason we got some. Seemed like having some would be good for those customers that can't handle a full size Angus. Thank you for the info. Very helpful.
I've had a couple, have a few daughters/granddaughters, that are half lowline and 1/2 regular angus. All have, have had, decent dispositions. No complaints. I think it might just be the way they were handled previously, and could be the particular "family/line" you wound up with.
The handling is what I was "hoping" I was seeing. Well lack of I guess. I was hoping they would settle in and calm down with regular care. So far only 1 has. There definitely is a genetic factor involved here. I have no doubt about that anymore. Thanks for the response.

Always go with your instincts on buying things, it would've been easier to pull an empty trailer than end up with something you don't want. But, I've been there before too and it sucks having buyers remorse. I drove a days drive one time to buy a used truck, a ford dealer had it, pictures looked good and the salesman assured me it was in good shape. It was a diesel dually with dual tanks, part of the deal was that they would fill up both tanks. I get there and the pictures had to have been doctored because the truck looked rough and it looked great in the pictures. I drive it and when it shifted into 2nd it shifted really hard, it was an automatic. While I'm test driving I pull over and dig through the glove box and find the former owners number, come to find out he traded it in due to transmission problems that apparently that Ford dealership couldn't ever get completely fixed and he got tired of dealing with it and traded. Needless to say I came home empty handed, it's really a long drive back when you don't get what you were going after. The salesman had the nerve to tell me that I owed them for those 2 tanks of diesel.

I wouldn't give up on the lowlines if that's what you think you have the market for, I'd just select more carefully. I have a friend that started with some dexters with a mini hereford bull on them saved heifers and now has a lowline red angus on them. They are all gentle. They're good looking cattle too, deep bodied and thick. They look like a regular cow with shorter legs. His cows will weigh around 800 and bulls 1200.

Always go with your instincts on buying things, it would've been easier to pull an empty trailer than end up with something you don't want. But, I've been there before too and it sucks having buyers remorse. I drove a days drive one time to buy a used truck, a ford dealer had it, pictures looked good and the salesman assured me it was in good shape. It was a diesel dually with dual tanks, part of the deal was that they would fill up both tanks. I get there and the pictures had to have been doctored because the truck looked rough and it looked great in the pictures. I drive it and when it shifted into 2nd it shifted really hard, it was an automatic. While I'm test driving I pull over and dig through the glove box and find the former owners number, come to find out he traded it in due to transmission problems that apparently that Ford dealership couldn't ever get completely fixed and he got tired of dealing with it and traded. Needless to say I came home empty handed, it's really a long drive back when you don't get what you were going after. The salesman had the nerve to tell me that I owed them for those 2 tanks of diesel.
Yikes. Glad you didn't get the truck.
You are right. That's exactly what I should have done. I knew it at the time deep down. Hopefully I won't make this mistake again.
I wouldn't give up on the lowlines if that's what you think you have the market for, I'd just select more carefully. I have a friend that started with some dexters with a mini hereford bull on them saved heifers and now has a lowline red angus on them. They are all gentle. They're good looking cattle too, deep bodied and thick. They look like a regular cow with shorter legs. His cows will weigh around 800 and bulls 1200.
Thank you. This thread has shown that I shouldn't give up on the lowlines. I do seem to have a market for them. I'll have to look around and see if I can find a different breeder who has good stock. Will certainly be more picky on site and not be afraid to go home empty. I've certainly learned a long time breeder doesn't mean squat.

Do you do any AI breeding? Contact the lowline assoc (AAA) or whatever they call themselves... I'm sure you could get semen through them. Then your better quieter cows can raise the half bred calves up... smaller size....
And if you get these high headed ones bred and calved out... take the calves away and bottle raise them, so they are more inclined to be gentle, and beef those cows...
Yes there are genetics involved...and we get some squirrely calves out of our quieter cows just bred to our normal bulls... on occasion... but they live what they learn... and if they learn to be wilder, high headed, skittish... they often will always be more inclined... if they grow up with a quiet calm background, they are more apt to be quieter... even if they have flightier genes..
And some are just plain NOT WORTH IT....
The AAA ought to have a breeders directory that will give you places to go look at some others...

Do you do any AI breeding? Contact the lowline assoc (AAA) or whatever they call themselves... I'm sure you could get semen through them. Then your better quieter cows can raise the half bred calves up... smaller size....
And if you get these high headed ones bred and calved out... take the calves away and bottle raise them, so they are more inclined to be gentle, and beef those cows...
Yes there are genetics involved...and we get some squirrely calves out of our quieter cows just bred to our normal bulls... on occasion... but they live what they learn... and if they learn to be wilder, high headed, skittish... they often will always be more inclined... if they grow up with a quiet calm background, they are more apt to be quieter... even if they have flightier genes..
And some are just plain NOT WORTH IT....
The AAA ought to have a breeders directory that will give you places to go look at some others...
Apparently the association has "issues". I have had multiple breeders tell me that. They don't answer their phones or return calls. I have been unable to speak to anyone yet. Another thing I am frustrated with. They did cash my check for a membership however so at least I know someone is still there.
We are only AI here. I am looking for lowline semen but put it on hold while I figure out this mess. Actually taking the calves and putting them on our jersey has been discussed quite a bit recently. Our hope is exactly what you are thinking. Raising them right may save a few and have them be decent stock. Why we were thinking of putting them on our jersey. She'd certainly raise them calm along with milking they would have day to day interactions with us. Or like you said bottle feeding them. Not like we won't have the milk to do it with once our cow freshens before they calve.
The just plain not worth it was shipped back to the breeder. That cow was down right dangerous. There was no calming that one down. She would quiver the moment she saw, heard or smelled a human. Been a long time since I have seen a head that high. Spent 2 weeks pacing the corrals trying to bust out.
The breeder we purchased this initial group from we found through the registries breeders directory. Not a ton of options though on their site or in their previous magazine releases. I am very nervous now to trust since we have had such a bad experience so far.

In your original post you stressed that you have culled for disposition. Dig down into your soul and ask yourself if you would still keep these cattle if they were a group of purchased regular Angus. If not, sell them and advertise them for what they are. You might find that they fit fine into someone else's herd who will put up with that temperament. Life is too short.

Apparently the association has "issues". I have had multiple breeders tell me that. They don't answer their phones or return calls. I have been unable to speak to anyone yet. Another thing I am frustrated with. They did cash my check for a membership however so at least I know someone is still there.
We are only AI here. I am looking for lowline semen but put it on hold while I figure out this mess. Actually taking the calves and putting them on our jersey has been discussed quite a bit recently. Our hope is exactly what you are thinking. Raising them right may save a few and have them be decent stock. Why we were thinking of putting them on our jersey. She'd certainly raise them calm along with milking they would have day to day interactions with us. Or like you said bottle feeding them. Not like we won't have the milk to do it with once our cow freshens before they calve.
The just plain not worth it was shipped back to the breeder. That cow was down right dangerous. There was no calming that one down. She would quiver the moment she saw, heard or smelled a human. Been a long time since I have seen a head that high. Spent 2 weeks pacing the corrals trying to bust out.
The breeder we purchased this initial group from we found through the registries breeders directory. Not a ton of options though on their site or in their previous magazine releases. I am very nervous now to trust since we have had such a bad experience so far.
The association is what it is-a money-making registry. Aberdeen don't have EPDs, so that is a challenge. There is semen available at Bovine Elite, if you want to look at some sires. I'll message you about some of our experiences with AI sires

The association is what it is-a money-making registry. Aberdeen don't have EPDs, so that is a challenge. There is semen available at Bovine Elite, if you want to look at some sires. I'll message you about some of our experiences with AI sires
Can't thank you enough for this information! You've given some really help information and a great place to start. I do have access to semen from Bovine Elite.

Last edited:
Can't thank you enough for this information! You've given some really help information and a great place to start. I do have access to semen from Bovine Elite.
Pharo cattle company has a lowline in their line up with semen available, his name is Machine, he is listed under their black angus.

Aberdeen Angus - well.....think about this. American Angus Assn (AAA) - cattle were originally Aberdeen Angus cattle. The Lowline decided to change their name to Aberdeen Angus (Aberdeen Angus Assn - AAA). Funny how that works out.

The ORIGINAL Lowline was developed in NZ (or Australia??). It was an experiment to see if LARGE cattle or SMALL cattle were more efficient. They bred the biggest to the biggest, smallest to the smallest - Lowlines and Highlines. At the end of the experiment, they decided neither were better - average size was best. The experiment station told the workers to ship the Lowlines. The workers didn't. One of them decided he would start a new breed - the Lowlines.

Think about temperament of ALL species of animals - Draft Horse vs Shetland pony - St Bernard vs Chihuahua --- large species are all more docile than minis. The smaller they are the meaner they have to be to survive.

If you buyers can't handle a half of beef - sell them a 1/4. Why in the world would you want to spend time raising something that is going to give you half of a regular one?? You have to breed each one - you have to calve each one - you have to vaccinate each one - and they will give you HALF of a regular one. Makes no sense to me.

Latest posts