Purebred Angus bulls without papers

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is feeding range cubes on the ground a waste?
Or is it just a waste if done in the rain?

If I have thrown the range cubes out on the ground the cows pretty much eat it up in no time.

Hunter said:
Is feeding range cubes on the ground a waste?
Or is it just a waste if done in the rain?

If I have thrown the range cubes out on the ground the cows pretty much eat it up in no time.

I was referring to putting them down with all the rain and mud. If there were dry ground, of course, on the ground would work fine.

sim.-ang.king said:
************* said:

They're more likely to die from eating corn, and improperly wrapped hay, than abort from mold.

How so?

Corn = calories. If possible ground corn cobs, maybe throw in some molasses or sorghum and put out protein tubs. Most of the hay around here right now, is basically useless, little to no energy value at all, not to mention full of mold and mycotoxins. Why risk feeding it with calving season right around the corner?

I realize that feeding nothing but straight corn is not going to fix the issues at hand, but we aren't too far away from having grass, and it might help. A big worry however moving forward will be the fescue toxicity, which around here will probably be amped up with the winter that we have had.

Also when you say "improperly wrapped" do you mean that air got into the tubes? or that the hay wasn't wrapped soon enough after baling it high moisture? Hay sprayed with preservative should be fine, shouldn't it?

Bright Raven said:
Do any of you who sell livestock via private treaty ever screen the buyer?
I do not screen potential buyers for their ability to care for the animal. I do screen for their ability to pay. I assume that if a person is willing to pay for cattle, it is in their best interest to care for that animal. Obviously there is a wide range of opinions on how to best care for an cow. IMHO the only opinion that matters is that of the owner.

I do not raise bulls, but this thread has got me thinking about it. What do you think? I already AI all my cows. Most of my cows are already from AI sires. Some are even stacked with several AI sires/grandsires. None of my cows are registered. Maybe I am missing out on an opportunity. My only real issue is having bulls around again. I don't have enough pen or pasture area to keep them separated from cows and heifers I don't want them breeding.

One neighbour has been feeding his dairy cows with the worst possible quality hay/haylage for years and every year in summer his cows start calving with lively calves. Not sure how many, never really was interested in counting them, but at the end of the summer there are plenty of the little ones.

On the topic about corn. To feed only corn is not the best idea... Too low in protein, high in starch, low in fibers and low in calcium. The diet has to be balanced or you will have a lot of problems.

bigbluegrass said:
Bright Raven said:
I do not screen potential buyers for their ability to care for the animal. I do screen for their ability to pay. I assume that if a person is willing to pay for cattle, it is in their best interest to care for that animal. Obviously there is a wide range of opinions on how to best care for an cow. IMHO the only opinion that matters is that of the owner.

I do not raise bulls, but this thread has got me thinking about it. What do you think? I already AI all my cows. Most of my cows are already from AI sires. Some are even stacked with several AI sires/grandsires. None of my cows are registered. Maybe I am missing out on an opportunity. My only real issue is having bulls around again. I don't have enough pen or pasture area to keep them separated from cows and heifers I don't want them breeding.

I happen to agree with you on the obligations of the seller.

Regarding selling bulls. The market is broad. It ranges from unregistered bulls that have a primary breed influence. Some producers are looking for a live calf and not intending to make significant improvement in the genetics of their herd which is absolutely their business. It ranges all the way up to producers looking for a specific registered breed and even sired by a specific bull.

In fact, I have had buyers order heifers from me with a specific request that they be AIed to Cowboy Cut. The person who did that is a User on this board.

I think it is up to you BBG. Regardless of the kind of bull you produce, there is someone out there looking for that kind of bull.

There are different types of molds
One is from when the hay is baled with too much moisture and it heats up, that's the bad stuff.
The other is from hay that got wet when in the stack, usually never heats up, it's not nearly as dangerous. The type of hay also makes a difference, as well as the stage of gestation.. I was told it's most dangerous in the last 2 months.

For years we didn't have a hay shed.. the top two layers and the bottom layer weren't nice, but they ate it and we never had a problem.

Who do you sell animals to? well, when you sell to the sale barn, you certainly have no control over it.. What's the definition of abuse? To some people it would be not housing animals in a barn when it's cold.. Mine stand outside no matter what the temps are, as long as the bellies are kept full they seem to do fine

bigbluegrass said:
Bright Raven said:
it matters more than you think when those Bulls wind up in the pasture of a idiot..he maintains the bull in a condition, are his cows..where he's unable too settle them.."""no fault of your own"""but you can bet those guys are the first too tell others your Bulls are sorry and not to buy from you ..and 90# of them they have no trouble with the ability to pay for it..and those are the worst..

ALACOWMAN said:
bigbluegrass said:
Bright Raven said:
it matters more than you think when those Bulls wind up in the pasture of a idiot..he maintains the bull in a condition, where he's unable too settle cows.."""no fault of your own"""but you can bet those guys are the first too tell others your Bulls are sorry and not to buy from you ..and 90# of them they have no trouble with the ability to pay for it..and those are the worst..

Best thing I've read on CT for a while. Well said and accurate. :clap:

Several inappropriate post were deleted before this thread was locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts