Purebred questions from a newbie

Help Support CattleToday:

Chapin81

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I got a Genetics question.

So currently my parents and I have a herd of cattle in Guatemala.
We have two sires which are brahman but mediocre-looking(looking to make a better-purebred herd longterm)they are replaced every two years, and they are servicing between 200-220 heifers.
My question is the heifers were originally Zebu, Nelore, Guzerat, and some Holstein. In the last 15 years, the heifer's original traits or characteristics have slowly disappeared. My question is IF I were to do AI with the "best-looking heifers or close to purebred characteristics" will I phase out the other breeds or genetic traits?

Also after going through several generations of AI will the bulls be considered purebred??

I hope I explained my question correctly and I hope the wonderful people of this board can help answer my questions.

Also for AI, I'm looking to buy semen from bovine elite or other vendors and probably buy JD Hudgins semen or V8 Ranch. Their sires look really promising.

And to all that provide their input Thanks in advance, I'll see if I can post some old pics shortly. and some new ones I took last month.

What breed of bull(s) are you planning on breeding to. With most registries an animal is considered purebred when they reach 87.5% which is the 3rd cross.

I was thinking of buying registered Brahmans. I did that a 12 years ago and the offspring looked very nice. However since I have not been as involved in the last few years things have gone a bit downhill. Parents unfortunately are getting older and depend on others to do stuff for them. Btw thanks for your reply. I'll see if I can upload a few pics.

Selecting for breed traits helps narrow down and make things more pure. The only true known mix is the very first F1. Everything is 50/50. Every cross after that gets completely random, so even though your law of averages says 75% your actual genetic expression can vary from 100% one way to 100% the other. Learned this from Neogen geneticist in Lincoln, NE last fall.

Chapin81 said:
I was thinking of buying registered Brahmans. I did that a 12 years ago and the offspring looked very nice. However since I have not been as involved in the last few years things have gone a bit downhill. Parents unfortunately are getting older and depend on others to do stuff for them. Btw thanks for your reply. I'll see if I can upload a few pics.

If you are trying to improve the uniformity of your herd then start with one breed. You have selected Brahmans as your breed so I would sort out any females now that are the least like your "ideal female". If you aren't worried about registered but only concerned about uniformity then 7/8 minimum should be your goal for the calves on the ground. So you will need to have all production cows/heifers be 3/4 Brahmans. Also, don't keep every female calf-- only keep the females that represent what your "ideal female" does.

I have done the same thing in stages with our Murray grey breed up females. I am looking to improve by looking at the dam, deciding what I want to be more like ideal and breeding for that with the cross. I only keep the calves that are successful. If you are doing AI then you will have a little more genetic freedom but you may want to try only one or two bulls your first time in order to have more uniformity.

Good luck! Patience is the name of the game when trying to improve the herd as a whole.

I am not familiar with the upgrading program in the Brahman breed, but for "most" other breeds that ALLOW upgrading:
You start with a commercial cow (that is what all your cows would be considered if they don't have registration papers). You breed to a REGISTERED PUREBRED Brahman bull. The offspring will be eligible to be registered as a 50% Brahman. Then when that female gets old enough & you breed her to a PB Brahman bull, you will get a 75% Brahman calf. 3rd cross "should" be considered a PB Brahman (if your country Brahman Association works like most of USA breed associations).
You can use ALL the cows in your herd as a base to upgrade using top Brahman bull genetics (live or AI).
Or - you can cull out the females that don't fit what you want in a cow based on looks or production.
Hope this helps. Welcome to the boards!!!

GHzFarms said:
Selecting for breed traits helps narrow down and make things more pure. The only true known mix is the very first F1. Everything is 50/50. Every cross after that gets completely random, so even though your law of averages says 75% your actual genetic expression can vary from 100% one way to 100% the other. Learned this from Neogen geneticist in Lincoln, NE last fall.
he's right..and I learned that from experience..F1s are fantastic momas and their popular...but you got something that can't replicate itself..as far as what you'll have in raising replacements from them..it's a start over program...you step outside of the 3 breed rotation ?? Which is where they excel..

Latest posts