Prices,Prices,Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954":2914frg7 said:
I buy bulk in the restuarant business. Right now ground "angus" is running 2.30 a pound. Back last year when beef was high we were paying about $3 a pound. I am a guy who looks at consumer beef prices on a weekly basis because my other job depends on the price of beef as well.

That's around a 23% decrease. Here, calf prices are down around 45%. Try as I may, I cannot find a justifiable explanation. I realize I'm in the southeast and the feedlots are mainly in the Midwest. Maybe I need to get in the freight business.

Saw on Ag TV this morning that there is some sort disconnect in the price of beef in the store and the price we are being paid for our cattle. They were saying they can't explain why the beef price in the store is remaining so high. And that we won't see a relief in what we get for our cattle until prices go down and that in turn will increase demand. They even said that someone along the chain is making allot of money be it feeders or packers buying low from farmers and selling high in grocery stores. I am not usually a conspiracy theorist but that is what they reported.

Ok guys can I please get some help. This is my first time raising a show steer and I am trying to make it so when we clear the fences that he does not get away. How could I help this any good suggestions? Thanks Lyndi

u4411clb":3oapnlo4 said:
Saw on Ag TV this morning that there is some sort disconnect in the price of beef in the store and the price we are being paid for our cattle. They were saying they can't explain why the beef price in the store is remaining so high. And that we won't see a relief in what we get for our cattle until prices go down and that in turn will increase demand. They even said that someone along the chain is making allot of money be it feeders or packers buying low from farmers and selling high in grocery stores. I am not usually a conspiracy theorist but that is what they reported.

Farmer almost always makes the least money. Give him a good year here and there to keep him sucked in :bang:

millstreaminn":rqm5b04v said:
Here's what I got yesterday. Northern Pa.

Heifer 1414 lb, $1.00 lb. (Bred her 4 times and wouldn't take)
Fat cow 1885 lb, .65 lb.
Bull 799 lb, 1.07 lb.

I may be heading up there to some of yalls markets in PA soon not for cattle but other stuff

Caustic Burno":rqm5b04v said:
millstreaminn":rqm5b04v said:
Here's what I got yesterday. Northern Pa.

Heifer 1414 lb, $1.00 lb. (Bred her 4 times and wouldn't take)
Fat cow 1885 lb, .65 lb.
Bull 799 lb, 1.07 lb.
Weather permits I am hauling Sat

I am hauling the 2nd week of june when I put cattle on summer pastures.

Sold two 13 year old cows one weighing 1180 for .71 per lb. and the other weighing 1280 for .70 per lb. Sold a black 515 lb. feeder heifer for 151.75 per lb.

FlyingLSimmentals":3dblm4w1 said:
Sold two 13 year old cows one weighing 1180 for .71 per lb. and the other weighing 1280 for .70 per lb. Sold a black 515 lb. feeder heifer for 151.75 per lb.

Holy COW!!!!! 151.75 per lb? A $78151.25 feeder heifer??? Dang. Dinner at Flying L!

Sorry, I just had to.

JMJ Farms":nm5jm9fe said:
Heck of a lot better than they would have done here. Glad for you CB.
Thanks those were good thick calves brought the same in Livingston as Crockett on Tuesday. Prices on premium calves seems to be holding about there for the last month.
Seen some low grade calves bring a 1.00 today.
Going to make it rough on some people that jumped in during 4 bucks a lb calves and 3k+ cows.

FlyingLSimmentals":3vozlnx4 said:
gerts, Wish I had taken them all for that :nod: :D . Just forgot to move the decimal. Here I'll fix it 1.5175 per lb.

LOL. I noticed it right away and was hoping that the market was trending up!

I had a few too many teen pregnancies amongst the heifers so picked up a couple at the sale on Friday. Nice stretchy black angus heifers that weighed 820 and 875. Paid $1.20 and $1.10. Wish I had bought those kind for that money all spring. They will help to cheapen up the average some. They have missed the AI by a week but the clean up bull has to do something to earn his keep.

For the heck of it I looked up last week at Toppenish. The best light steers reported weighed 440 and brought $1.86. The best steers ready to go to the feed lot weighed 814 and brought $1.28. Add 374 pounds for $223. That is 59 cents a pound for the gain. That is a pretty tough margin to put weight on for 59 cents.

Dave":xm5fpd58 said:
I had a few too many teen pregnancies amongst the heifers so picked up a couple at the sale on Friday. Nice stretchy black angus heifers that weighed 820 and 875. Paid $1.20 and $1.10. Wish I had bought those kind for that money all spring. They will help to cheapen up the average some. They have missed the AI by a week but the clean up bull has to do something to earn his keep.

For the heck of it I looked up last week at Toppenish. The best light steers reported weighed 440 and brought $1.86. The best steers ready to go to the feed lot weighed 814 and brought $1.28. Add 374 pounds for $223. That is 59 cents a pound for the gain. That is a pretty tough margin to put weight on for 59 cents.

Here the optimum to sell is between 4 to 5 wt go figure but that is what the order buyers want. If they go over 6 wt it doesn't pencil out as you pointed out. I bought a 830 heifer for 75 bucks more than I got on a 4 wt makes no sense to me on why you would hold to that weight.

Latest posts