Prices,Prices,Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

You seem to be implying that beef from Australia is substandard. I can assure that our health and inspection rules are every bit as stringent as those of the US. Our cost of production is high on the farm and very high with processing due to higher wages and often on the world stage we can't compete on price but our clean high quality reputation will usually see us through in most of the top markets with which we compete and often with the US.
Ken

wbvs58":58nxj0h4 said:
You seem to be implying that beef from Australia is substandard. I can assure that our health and inspection rules are every bit as stringent as those of the US. Our cost of production is high on the farm and very high with processing due to higher wages and often on the world stage we can't compete on price but our clean high quality reputation will usually see us through in most of the top markets with which we compete and often with the US.
Ken
The implication is not of my making. The USDA says they have no control over how meat is processed in other countries. Consumer confidence is the deciding factor. Australia exports a lot of beef to countries besides the U.S. When it comes to top end beef exports, the U.S. far exceeds any other country. 70% of the Australian beef imported to the U.S. is ground beef, not Prime cuts. Cattle that are grazed and ground do not have the same marbling as cattle that are finished in feed lots.
The Australian stamp of approval may be just as valid as the USDA sticker. If you placed them side by side in the meat department of a U.S. grocery store the American consumer is going to buy the USDA.

If you placed them side by side in the meat department of a U.S. grocery store the American consumer is going to buy the USDA.
That is the hope sold by the checkoff program. Lower the price on imported beef vs. US product and many will go with the bargain, especially hamburger. The main difference in the two products are the same as imports from other countries: grass fed vs. grain finished.

Tim/South":1ekf4vi1 said:
wbvs58":1ekf4vi1 said:
Ken
The implication is not of my making. The USDA says they have no control over how meat is processed in other countries. Consumer confidence is the deciding factor. Australia exports a lot of beef to countries besides the U.S. When it comes to top end beef exports, the U.S. far exceeds any other country. 70% of the Australian beef imported to the U.S. is ground beef, not Prime cuts. Cattle that are grazed and ground do not have the same marbling as cattle that are finished in feed lots.
The Australian stamp of approval may be just as valid as the USDA sticker. If you placed them side by side in the meat department of a U.S. grocery store the American consumer is going to buy the USDA.
Australia competes very competitively with the US in prime markets such as the Japan and Korea with our feedlot finished cattle. Over the last couple of years we have had a large turn off of our cow herd due to drought and hence a large supply of lean grinding meat which my understanding is blended with your excess fat trimmings for hamburgers. You have been in a herd rebuilding phase and not as many cull cows to grind so things have worked out well. If we get a bit of rain this summer you won't have to worry about our grinding meat as cows will be too valuable to slaughter plus the price you are paying for manufacturing meat has fallen. Things will and always have ebbed and flowed with supply and demand.
Ken

1-6-16%20sale_zpsocmcncsg.png

I took 3 more feeders to Guthrie, KY yesterday and put another heifer in the replacement pen.
- Had a gray white face feeder bull weight 545 and sold for 149.50 per lb.
- A solid black feeder bull that weight 550 and sold for 154.50 per lb.
- A really pretty gray blaze face heifer that we wanted to keep because of her looks but she was wild and crazy, she weighed 475 and brought 159.00 per lb.
Noticed the sale had more replacement cows than slaughter cows. Breds went from $725 - $2100.

FlyingLSimmentals":1mxbvv2i said:
I took 3 more feeders to Guthrie, KY yesterday and put another heifer in the replacement pen.
- A really pretty gray blaze face heifer that we wanted to keep because of her looks but she was wild and crazy, she weighed 475 and brought 159.00 per lb.
Noticed the sale had more replacement cows than slaughter cows. Breds went from $725 - $2100.
I hope those prices hold as I can make a little money and I mean a little with no bad luck. If I had some ready to sell they would go ASAP.

jltrent":l5uavoyf said:
FlyingLSimmentals":l5uavoyf said:
I hope those prices hold as I can make a little money and I mean a little with no bad luck. If I had some ready to sell they would go ASAP.

I got some ready to ride now but no hurry as i got plenty of hay and I am waiting to see what prices are going to do when grass greens up again. I will probably go to Lynchburg sale this Monday. I got one bull calf that's 10 months old that needs a new home if he acts up between now and Monday he will be riding.

Market seems a bit stronger for good calves but the ones with a minor flaw ain't bringing much. There seems to be an opportunity here to buy some # 1 1/2 unweaned calves that have a possibility to improve to # 1's with some tender loving care and a little time. Maybe sell in May.

I sold 6 last week 5 steers and a heifer they did not do as well as they would have last year but I still felt they did ok they were all 1/4 to 1/2 Brahman.
1 black steer 490 lbs. @1.73 = 847.70 showed lots a Brahman ,wish he would have been a heifer
2 black steers avg.517.50 lbs. @1.93 = 998.77 each
2 steers 1 black and 1 white avg.607.50 lbs. @ 1.71= 1038.83 each
1 heifer ,didn't look to good, 365 lbs. @ 1.58 = 576.70

Latest posts