Prices,Prices,Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan":241mm043 said:
Skyhightree1; why not use the callicrate bander and do that 600 lb bull calf with an attitude? We do all our larger calves with it. Doesn't stop the wild ones from being wild but cuts off (sic) the hormones and calms down the "bull"y actions alot. I like to let the natural testosterone work on the growing of the calves until they get up to 4wts when we can, but some get done when they go to pasture w momma due to lack of handling facilities etc. It works REAL good, they usually only lay around for half hour or so as it cuts off the feeling really quick if you do it right, and that's it.

I don't have one nor does any of my friends. I thought about buying one but realistically I would never use it. I have been selling bulls lately.

True Grit Farms":2lbyurqo said:
JMJ Farms":2lbyurqo said:
I will have a total of $28/roll in it. 4x6 net wrapped. The farmer is a neighbor and close friend. They usually leave it on the field bc they say it's worth more to build the land than it is to bale it and buy fertilizer. The only reason they offered it to me is because they are gonna let the farmland go next year (it's dryland) and they want to get what they can out of it. 80 acres. I hope it yields around 2-3 rolls per acre.

That's a good price and the cows love and do very well on peanut hay. Any ideas on what a roll of peanut hay weighs compared to Bermuda hay. I was told you need to feed 2 rolls of peanut hay to equal one roll of Russell Bermuda hay?

A lot of it depends on the moisture of the hay when it's rolled. If it's rolled good and tight it's definitely lighter but I wouldn't think there would be a whole terrible lot of difference in it. I've never weighed a roll. As far as quality, IMO, one roll of peanut hay is worth 2 rolls of bermuda as far as the benefit to the cow. After we get it rolled I will weigh a bale so we will know for sure bc I would like to know myself also.

Floyd the hay guy told me that so that's why I'm interested in your results also. I know when I feed peanut hay the coons are in the barn every night.

skyhightree1":mueuyayz said:
farmerjan":mueuyayz said:
Skyhightree1; why not use the callicrate bander and do that 600 lb bull calf with an attitude? We do all our larger calves with it. Doesn't stop the wild ones from being wild but cuts off (sic) the hormones and calms down the "bull"y actions alot. I like to let the natural testosterone work on the growing of the calves until they get up to 4wts when we can, but some get done when they go to pasture w momma due to lack of handling facilities etc. It works REAL good, they usually only lay around for half hour or so as it cuts off the feeling really quick if you do it right, and that's it.

I don't have one nor does any of my friends. I thought about buying one but realistically I would never use it. I have been selling bulls lately.

We don't sell bull calves here now, they are discounted .20 to .30 per pound and that is way too much to lose. We bought our bander used, try craig's list or ebay.... We have several people that have borrowed it for the very reason, they only have one calf or something, that would make it an expensive investment but I have never regretted it. We don't ask anyone to pay to use it, just they buy their own bands and the tetanus shot, or pay us for the cost if they use ours. Saw a pen of NICE 5wt bull calves go through 2 weeks ago, brought .90 when equivalent steers were bringing 1.25 to 1.30.. If I had some cash I think I would've taken the chance but things are tight right now and do not want to borrow any money for that. If prices hold at 1.25, in 2 weeks those calves could have gone back and made .30 lb. It's done all the time.... You can cut the sack off in a week and they look fine.

farmerjan":2nosgkkz said:
skyhightree1":2nosgkkz said:
farmerjan":2nosgkkz said:

We don't sell bull calves here now, they are discounted .20 to .30 per pound and that is way too much to lose. We bought our bander used, try craig's list or ebay.... We have several people that have borrowed it for the very reason, they only have one calf or something, that would make it an expensive investment but I have never regretted it. We don't ask anyone to pay to use it, just they buy their own bands and the tetanus shot, or pay us for the cost if they use ours. Saw a pen of NICE 5wt bull calves go through 2 weeks ago, brought .90 when equivalent steers were bringing 1.25 to 1.30.. If I had some cash I think I would've taken the chance but things are tight right now and do not want to borrow any money for that. If prices hold at 1.25, in 2 weeks those calves could have gone back and made .30 lb. It's done all the time.... You can cut the sack off in a week and they look fine.

yea I know the hit you take and don't worry about it. at times steers and bulls were priced the same

farmerjan":2fu40zrw said:
skyhightree1":2fu40zrw said:
farmerjan":2fu40zrw said:

Jan, not trying to disagree with you, but if you take a 5 weight bull and cut him, he won't be fine in a week. And he will lose weight. So if you try this be prepared to hold them a little longer than a week.

Since I have had a fair amount of experience using the callicrate bander, I think I am justified in saying that in a week the calf will act fine. Now, we don't band them and pull them off the cow all at the same time; but in either case, if the calf is banded and stays with the cow, he will be acting like nothing ever happened in less than a week. If the calf is already weaned and used to coming into a feed bunk, and you band him, he will be back to acting normal in just a couple of days. They don't drop weight unless they don't eat. Been there, done that many times. I have seen the calves come to the feeder the next day and eat like normal. We calve out 75-100 both spring and fall and have used the bander a lot. If the bander is used properly, the recovery time is VERY SHORT and that is one of the things that is true about all the advertisement. I didn't really believe it until we used it and now I am a total convert. In the warmer months, we will cut the sack off after a week since it will get pretty rank, but in the cooler months we just let it fall off whenever unless we are going to ship them soon. We don't do all the calves this way since some of the pastures don't have working pens, some get banded as babies, but when we can we try to hold off and band when they have a little growth from natural testosterone.
We bought 10 "steers" last year and found 2 bulls in the bunch. Banded them and ran them back through the chute 5 days later, the sacks felt cold so no circulation, they were all coming in to eat everyday, and they went to pasture and the 2 that were bulls weighed nearly 30 lbs more than the others when we sold them, they were sorted off the rest due to the little bit bigger size. One other was shorter and he sold separate too. That was with a small group of bought calves that we didn't know anything about, just a spec group.

skyhightree1":mzkxwj4q said:
farmerjan":mzkxwj4q said:
skyhightree1":mzkxwj4q said:

yea I know the hit you take and don't worry about it. at times steers and bulls were priced the same

When the prices were real high 2 years ago we didn't worry much about them being bulls or steers, but since it has gotten bad we are very careful to make sure they are all steered.

We have banded hundreds of bulls with those banders from 250-1100 lbs. Very few are gonna hold their weight and look real good after a week unless they are still on their mother. Bigger they are the worse they will probably look. If you want to make money on banding a set of 5 weight bulls it will usually take 30 days to really work.

I worry about my cattle and reputation no matter what the price is. Good animal husbandry should be the standard practice for everyone, but the truth is some folks want to profit off other folk's work and money.
I try and pay attention to what the cattle are saying. And a 500lb bull is saying he wants to breed anything he can. And while he's trying to act like a bull, no one is eating and everyone is stressed out. I cut or band ASAP, and believe that's the way it should be done. But a person needs to what they feel is right.

Ojp6":3ida2ch1 said:
We have banded hundreds of bulls with those banders from 250-1100 lbs. Very few are gonna hold their weight and look real good after a week unless they are still on their mother. Bigger they are the worse they will probably look. If you want to make money on banding a set of 5 weight bulls it will usually take 30 days to really work.

And 20 of those days the steers need to be on feed.

Ojp6":2otgzp8n said:
That group of 5 wt bulls were kept on pasture for approx 60 days after the banding; what I was trying to convey is that we don't have the problems with eating or recovery that we have had with cutting and usually do it about 2-3 weeks before we pull them off the cows. Maybe we have just been very lucky to have had such good luck with the ones we do.

skyhightree1":1vwymuat said:
Stocker Steve":1vwymuat said:
You know you are an angel investor when the sales barn manager runs across the parking lot and begs you to come back inside... :cowboy:

Or a sucker :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Couldn't resist :cowboy:

or really quick with a pistol syringe

I just sat and watched two nice pretty black angus pairs one with bull calf and one with heifer 5 year old cows sell for $700.00each... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am sure you can go to a local sale barn and buy someones $700 junk, People like to see the crap that sells at a local barn + compare it 2 what the rest of the animals everywhere else should be worth . How many head did they sell today at your sale ? What did the cows weigh ? What was kill price on the cow s

BobbyLummus1":3ompd07x said:
I am sure you can go to a local sale barn and buy someones $700 junk, People like to see the crap that sells at a local barn + compare it 2 what the rest of the animals everywhere else should be worth . How many head did they sell today at your sale ? What did the cows weigh ? What was kill price on the cow s

These were nice cows.it may still be going I didn't write down everything but most were 950-1200 lbs of course not all are great but im talking about good looking stuff. The " junk" sold for 375 - 550.00 per head and they were bred I have no idea how many head were sold its still going now. Kill prices were .58 -.79 that I saw. As was said 2 trillion times before not every bovine that goes through the barn is someone's junk. However, I have turned many of someone's junk into great money for me.

skyhightree1" I have turned many of someone's junk into great money for me.[/quote said:
Good traders always cash flow, but the 2015/2016 collapse is one for the record books.

I did my part for demand by having a T bone tonight, but we are going to stay in this downward spiral if US exports are low and everyone keeps heifers.

skyhightree1":g0rn39hv said:
BobbyLummus1":g0rn39hv said:

These were nice cows.it may still be going I didn't write down everything but most were 950-1200 lbs of course not all are great but im talking about good looking stuff. The " junk" sold for 375 - 550.00 per head and they were bred I have no idea how many head were sold its still going now. Kill prices were .58 -.79 that I saw. As was said 2 trillion times before not every bovine that goes through the barn is someone's junk. However, I have turned many of someone's junk into great money for me.
Cows going back to the farm still aint that cheap here but they are 1/2 the price they were last year.

kenny thomas":2serqm30 said:
[
Cows going back to the farm still aint that cheap here but they are 1/2 the price they were last year.

If you get a chance tune in to the Winchester sale next Monday its unreal.

Latest posts