Pics of your herd bull

Help Support CattleToday:

shadebull.jpg

I had this bull on another thread a few months back. He is breeding about 9 heifers and young cows right now.

I'll post our senior herd sire once we get a halfway decent day to take photos! Finally getting some precipitation. (We had snow last week, and rain this week). Still about 7" under.

rkaiser":30frh9wb said:
Thanks for the compliments folks. I looked around a bit for some measurement on the bull but came up short this morning. I know that he was the highest scoring linear measuring bull that we have raised and his frame is definitely below a 5. He weighs about 2100 pounds. Yes Doc the picture may make him look a bit short but the rib capacity makes it a bit deceiving. He was in a pen on a silage and about 10 pounds of barley ration for a couple months prior to the picture being taken. He looks the same now - if not better at the same time of year - a year older on good quality hay. This year our rising two year old sale bulls have not had any supplemental grain since birth and although they may not carry quite the flesh that this bull is obviously showing, they are looking awfully good.

We are doing some line breeding, and planning more, but this bull was a result of an out cross mating of very phenotypically similar bloodlines. We will be using him and his offspring in a further line breeding program.

If I had some of old Maurice Boney's money for advertising Doc - we might even be able to afford a trip to the stud station to have him drawn. ;-)

By the way - we had given him a bit of a trim prior to the photo. Especially taken the wool off his face. These cattle hair up almost as much as the Galloways and the hide is thick enought that the Mexicans tell us they can keep the bugs off better than most Bos Taurus breeds thay have tried.

RKaiser,

great bull, the best balance and proportioned bull I've seen posted here.

rkaiser":2i2ya8zw said:
Thanks for the compliments folks. I looked around a bit for some measurement on the bull but came up short this morning. I know that he was the highest scoring linear measuring bull that we have raised and his frame is definitely below a 5. He weighs about 2100 pounds. Yes Doc the picture may make him look a bit short but the rib capacity makes it a bit deceiving. He was in a pen on a silage and about 10 pounds of barley ration for a couple months prior to the picture being taken. He looks the same now - if not better at the same time of year - a year older on good quality hay. This year our rising two year old sale bulls have not had any supplemental grain since birth and although they may not carry quite the flesh that this bull is obviously showing, they are looking awfully good.

We are doing some line breeding, and planning more, but this bull was a result of an out cross mating of very phenotypically similar bloodlines. We will be using him and his offspring in a further line breeding program.

If I had some of old Maurice Boney's money for advertising Doc - we might even be able to afford a trip to the stud station to have him drawn. ;-)

By the way - we had given him a bit of a trim prior to the photo. Especially taken the wool off his face. These cattle hair up almost as much as the Galloways and the hide is thick enought that the Mexicans tell us they can keep the bugs off better than most Bos Taurus breeds thay have tried.

That is a great looking bull. Are you saying they are using Red Welsh Blacks in Mexico? I'm sure I misread that.

We actually sent a few Welsh Black Bulls down to Mexico before all of this BSE BS started. They were black bulls gberry. most of our stock is black. This red bull just happens to be one of our current herd bulls. The feedback that we had from the Mexicans was that the bulls we sent shed off and kept most of the hair off, but the thick skin was seen as an asset as the bugs did not seem to bother them all that much. Not that I have noticed a difference with flies or mosquitoes here at home, but this was just the report that the Mexican gave us.

Regardless of the fertility problems that can be claimed and documented .... this one served us well. He died last year. Don't have a picture of the current ones.

bull6a.jpg

Here are some of our guys:

Waverley Sarpedon - our main herd sire. We bought him as a four year old, he's now about 10 - 12 (I'd have to look it up to see exactly how old).

Sarpedon at approx. 18 months:

Sarpedon_2_yr_old.jpg

Sarpedon at approx. 3 years:

Sarpedon_old_good.jpg

Temar Venturesome - the new herd sire we bought three or four years ago. Bought him as a 3 1/2 y.o so he's about 7 or 8 now.

Venturesome as a 4 y.o:

Venturesome_4_yrs.jpg

Venturesome as a 7 y.o:

New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_010.JPG

Cappucino, a son of Sarpedon, at approx. 26 months:

MG_Photos_21-08-07_030.jpg

Venturesome daughters:

New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_026.JPG

New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_038.JPG

MG_Photos_21-08-07_024.jpg

Sarpedon daughters:

New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_036.JPG

MG_Photos_21-08-07_001.jpg

MG_Photos_21-08-07_027.jpg

Mums_photos_15-09-07_723.jpg

Mums_photos_15-09-07_729.jpg

KMacGinley":18jcx28n said:
Keren":18jcx28n said:
rkaiser":18jcx28n said:
How about a three year old Fullblood Red Welsh Black bull.

KG11-011407-9874_DVW133P.jpg

Impressive bull - BUT I'm scared to death of those shoulders :shock:

Why would that be? He is pretty smooth there, I wouldnt be too scared.

I agree, what I see is a bull with very well structured shoulders, remember calves aren't born with masculine shoulders like that.

KEW":1buev1t0 said:
Here are the pics of my herd bull. This a home bred and grown ET son of Lindsay Starbright. (Murray Grey).
IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg
[/img]

Beautiful bull Kevin!! :D

This is the one I'm useing now, can't take any credit for him though, except I had enough in the checking account to get him :)
IMG_0034111.jpg

I guess this is my best home grown

DSCN0363a.jpg

YY_Herd_Bulls_October_4th_Dover.jpg

I would like to solicit comments on one of our herd sires. He is a coming 3. (DOB 3/3/05). This photo was taken 10/06/07 . He has a 57 inch Hip Height and weighs 2,100 lbs. He comes from a superior line of females within a very maternal breed. Thanks!

Shorthorn1 - I really like his depth in the chest, masculinity, legs look straight, good topline, just like to see a little rounder muscle extending down to the hock. Pretty good bull all in all though.

Latest posts