Pics of your herd bull

Help Support CattleToday:

That is a again one of the best looking Angus bulls I have ever seen. I will definitely have to check out Sydenstricker in the future. Those are probably the best looking Angus bulls I have ever seen in Florida also. From what I can tell being down there so many times, Angus must not hold there condition to good, or the bulls I should say. I notice that alot of people use Angus and Charolais bulls alot down there, Ive seen them on some fairly big ranches, but they look pittiful. Why is that? Overworked during breeding season? Do some ranchers just not grow there bulls good and put weight back on them? My examples are one fairly big ranch near where I stay, they run 1,600 head and use Charolais and Angus bulls, but the majority of them look real poor and feminine, mostly the Angus. This other ranch down the road from them has there bull pasture right on the highway. From what I can see they have Charolais as well and Wynne Ranch Brangus bulls all in great shape. Whats the deal down there, to hot for some bulls, (I know Brangus do better) or negligent Ranchers? Sorry to be so long winded.

Thanks for all the kind words I will pass them along. These bulls have all done a great job for us. I dont have any more bull pictures, I do have a picture of a 20 month old daughter of his I will try and post tonight.

I am no fan of Precision either but this bull is kinda different, he has never sired any flat ribbed, hard doing type cattle. He will sire alittle too much frame if mated incorrectly but his steer calves have been used alot by the kids as show steers. He sires really attractively fronted cattle.

Cope,
As for Sydenstrickers you really should go one year, probably the year before you need a bull. The reason is you will be floored as to how deep the quality runs in that sale. They will have ~ 125 Fall yearling bulls in the sale in November with another 100 Jan bull calves and 25-30 2 yr olds. We have always bought yearlings they will be in 2-3 pens (40-60 head). I have been to enough bull sales to know that usually you can cut the bottom half out right away with one look, but not here.
I have seen better bulls but have never seen a place where the quality is so deep (~80% are really good bulls). Never show up the morning of the sale go the day before, I think you will need that kind of time. You can certainly buy a bull there most of the yearling bulls in that sale will be @ $3000 and below. I watched a guy behind me from Tn buy a really nice bull last year out of a donor cow for around $2000. The bull ratioed like 104 for weaning and 103 for yearling really nice buy.

I will be the guy in the Florida Gator hat freezing my "be nice" off in 35 degree weather. :lol:

CopeMan":zx5vaoeg said:
That is a again one of the best looking Angus bulls I have ever seen. I will definitely have to check out Sydenstricker in the future. Those are probably the best looking Angus bulls I have ever seen in Florida also. From what I can tell being down there so many times, Angus must not hold there condition to good, or the bulls I should say. I notice that alot of people use Angus and Charolais bulls alot down there, Ive seen them on some fairly big ranches, but they look pittiful. Why is that? Overworked during breeding season? Do some ranchers just not grow there bulls good and put weight back on them? My examples are one fairly big ranch near where I stay, they run 1,600 head and use Charolais and Angus bulls, but the majority of them look real poor and feminine, mostly the Angus. This other ranch down the road from them has there bull pasture right on the highway. From what I can see they have Charolais as well and Wynne Ranch Brangus bulls all in great shape. Whats the deal down there, to hot for some bulls, (I know Brangus do better) or negligent Ranchers? Sorry to be so long winded.

That's really suprising ;-)

Here is the daughter I promised she is 22 month old due in ~60 days.

50100.jpg

Some nice looking bulls, a few of the nicer angus I have seen on here.

I have posted him before but here is our Goldmine Simmental bull.

Semmintal.jpg

ClaimJumperHome.jpg

Can't say he does anything for me. Long, but he comes up to high in the flank, and that sway-back is going to get worse with age. I'd prefer a bull with more depth and rounder muscle.

hereford_jock":20h302zp said:
HPIM1239.JPG

Here's our bull at about a year

He looks like a bullcalf with a lot of potential, he is in an awkward stage, but there seems to be nice long muscle on the hindquarter. Not quite the same type I try to breed, but a good example of a young hereford bull for more favourable conditions.

How old is he now? Can you post a more recent pic without the halter?

I think the sway back is because at the stage where he is in his rearend stands taller than his front end and because his head is held high on the halter it creates a sway back impression. My only real criticism at this stage is that he could havee been a little deeper in the chest given that he was obviously very well fed.

I disagree. I think that he has alot of potential. It seems we are holding him to a different standard than earlier pictures on a different thread. This bull is well cared for while someone late last week had some limmy cross bull pictured and nobody would say that bull needed the knife.

I think alot of this bulls "sway backed" problem is what Knersie said about an ackward stage in his life. The other thing that would help is if the photographer would get on his/her knees to take the photograph. I dont think the ground is all that level were the picture is taken either.

Good bull good luck with him.

This is my first attempt to post a picture.

This is our 2 yr old Maine Anjou Bull. There are some real nice calves on the ground out of him.

PT.jpg

A note about my above post. This bull had only been on feed for 35 days and he had been working in a pasture of about 40-50 head of cows for the spring and summer. He was definately not "pampered".

Just had to post a new pic of Macho. It was taken in April, but I hadn't put it on my computer & posted it on my site. It's on my web site now under "herd pictures". He's 4.5 years old in pic. Phenotypically, he was always great, right from a weaned calf on up. But, the "proof is in the pudding" and his calves are awesome. His daughters are really producing with great udders - and are show winners to boot! His steers & bulls are performing great on tests.

Macho_in_yard_4-07_bright_straight.jpg

Above pic doesn't really show his thickness, so here's some older pics showing different profiles. He was about 2 years old in these pics.
Macho_2A_adjusted_pixel.JPG

Macho_7A_pixel.JPG

Latest posts