Packin Heat when mowing the lawn

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan":3bk6o641 said:
So, it is really that bad where some of you live that you don't feel safe unless you are packing?

Like I said before, I don't have my head in the sand and think that every place in the u.s. Is Mayberry; I watch the news, but gee whiz, I assumed there were many, many places that were nice, calm places to live without constant fear of violence.

What about others here from KY, is it that bad where you are too?

I ran over to Calloway county last Thursday night. I actually felt silly having a weapon with me. Here, not so much. You could go to certain parts of town here, and literally get shot or stabbed just for being there. Parts aren't bad at all though, you just gotta watch where you go. Out in the county, many of the young people treat meth like it's candy cigarettes. Those kind don't think straight, and they're warped enough to steal from graveyards. Easy to say,"I'll just go to the good parts". Well the flaw in that plan is they all venture out of where they belong. I'm out early, and I'm out late. I have to go here, and I have to go there. Can't live my life behind a locked door. I gotta go, and I gotta carry to go.

About a week ago, I absolutely had to have some parts. The only parts store open at 9:00 at night here is smack dab in the middle of the worst part of town. Do you wait for daylight, and get parts, or do you slip a hog leg down the back of your pants, and take your chances? If there'd been trouble, I'd have wished I'd waited. There wasn't trouble, but, there were people both in the parking lot, and store, that prolonged eye contact with would have been all the prodding they needed.

Something nobody eluded to on here, and I'm surprised. (May only apply here). To go out dressed like a farmer, or in a farm truck, attracts a certain amount of negative attention. I won't go in to any great detail, but I know that what I'm saying is true.

TennesseeTuxedo":2mgcenby said:
Where in the Sam Hill is this war zone you speak of Troy? I run all over north and east Nashville to job sites without a weapon of any kind.

I won't say the town (although I've posted it a few times). We have a higher juvenile crime rate, than Chicago, or saint louis. Sheriff himself told me that. I live 4 mikes from town. It's a 16 mile drive after dark though. If I went the bad way at night, and something happened to me, people would just be like, well he shoulda known better.

Many things mold who we are. Not everybody's life experiences are mine, and not everybody does what I do for a livin. I can tell you first hand, there's evil in this world, the likes of which most of you would not believe. Your fortunate, if it's not in your back door.

Bigfoot":219kb63k said:
TennesseeTuxedo":219kb63k said:
Where in the Sam Hill is this war zone you speak of Troy? I run all over north and east Nashville to job sites without a weapon of any kind.

I won't say the town (although I've posted it a few times). We have a higher juvenile crime rate, than Chicago, or saint louis. Sheriff himself told me that. I live 4 mikes from town. It's a 16 mile drive after dark though. If I went the bad way at night, and something happened to me, people would just be like, well he shoulda known better.

Many things mold who we are. Not everybody's life experiences are mine, and not everybody does what I do for a livin. I can tell you first hand, there's evil in this world, the likes of which most of you would not believe. Your fortunate, if it's not in your back door.

My neck of the woods in KY is in the Warren, Barren, Metcalfe, Monroe, and Adair Counties.
I'm sure if you check the news history, there is plenty of bad stuff that has went on there, but overall, it's a good place to live for people who want to live a peaceful existence. I'm fortunate and thankful that it's not I my back door yet.

herofan":1ybxkg90 said:
Bigfoot":1ybxkg90 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1ybxkg90 said:

My neck of the woods in KY is in the Warren, Barren, Metcalfe, Monroe, and Adair Counties.
I'm sure if you check the news history, there is plenty of bad stuff that has went on there, but overall, it's a good place to live for people who want to live a peaceful existence. I'm fortunate and thankful that it's not I my back door yet.

If you mind your own business, it is fine here. In fact, I think the town of Maysville is as good as anywhere I have lived or better.

Had a college friend from Adair - Joe Sparks.

Bright Raven":3cyhtx76 said:
If you mind your own business, it is fine here. In fact, I think the town of Maysville is as good as anywhere I have lived or better.

Had a college friend from Adair - Joe Sparks.

That's a good way to describe how it is here. I'm not going to pretend we don't have drugs and other bad things, but if a person minds their own business and isn't involved in all that stuff, they are usually ok. There's not much random violence here. The shootings and violence is usually among the roughnecks themselves.

Having packed one for 30 years while wearing the badge, it's a habit that's hard to give up. It had become just a part of getting dressed. First it was just because I still had many I had put behind bars getting out that might want to get even that I carried .. But then since GW Bush signed the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act in 2004 allowing honorably retired Officers to pack anywhere in the US, I see it as one more person able to assist in the war on terror if need be- another set of eyes and ears that could act if by chance the circumstances required it.. And now since we have a President and an Attorney General that want to bring back the rule of law to this country it almost feels like a duty..

In this day and age with meth and all the other new powerful drugs controlling so many lives in all parts of this country of people that would kill you for a $5 fix-- along with the threats from radical terrorist's (from both sides of the spectrum) who seem to strike in all parts of the country , I would not begrudge anyone from becoming trained and packing a weapon.

herofan":3hkv5795 said:
dun":3hkv5795 said:
herofan":3hkv5795 said:
So, it is really that bad where some of you live that you don't feel safe unless you are packing?

Like I said before, I don't have my head in the sand and think that every place in the u.s. Is Mayberry; I watch the news, but gee whiz, I assumed there were many, many places that were nice, calm places to live without constant fear of violence.

NOt from KY but carry becasue you never know in these times. I don;t expect to need it but I'm prepared. Just like I don;t expect to have an accident but I carry insurance just in case.

What you say makes perfect sense, and others here have made good comments as well. If only one homicide happens in 10 years and I'm it, that's all that will matter to me.

I guess random violence around here just isn't common enough that I have ever felt the need. As I mentioned before, I'm 49 and was never in a situation where I felt I would have felt safer if I had a gun.

I have a question, and it's probably an uninformed one, but where do you guys carry your guns when out in public in the summer when not wearing a jacket?
I carry a S&W bodyguard revolver in my back pocket year round. Have switched to the Airweight in the last couple years. It's just as much part of me as putting a pocket knife in the front pocket.

TennesseeTuxedo":3v3ankyt said:

Ever even to Memphis? Ever been sitting at a red light minding you own business only to have a group of young men try and surround your truck? Ever been working in Bessemer alabama to have an elderly lady tell you it was time for you to leave cause it's getting close to dark and you was the wrong color be down there after dark? Or a cop give you directions to get out to an interstate and tell you not to stop any where along the way cause you'll get shot? Man you haven't lived.

Craig Miller":3rb2miva said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3rb2miva said:

Ever even to Memphis? Ever been sitting at a red light minding you own business only to have a group of young men try and surround your truck? Ever been working in Bessemer alabama to have an elderly lady tell you it was time for you to leave cause it's getting close to dark and you was the wrong color be down there after dark? Or a cop give you directions to get out to an interstate and tell you not to stop any where along the way cause you'll get shot? Man you haven't lived.

I've done it all Craig and miraculously I haven't felt the need to shoot anybody yet. The day is young however.

kenny thomas":30abc8lz said:
herofan":30abc8lz said:
dun":30abc8lz said:
NOt from KY but carry becasue you never know in these times. I don;t expect to need it but I'm prepared. Just like I don;t expect to have an accident but I carry insurance just in case.

What you say makes perfect sense, and others here have made good comments as well. If only one homicide happens in 10 years and I'm it, that's all that will matter to me.

I guess random violence around here just isn't common enough that I have ever felt the need. As I mentioned before, I'm 49 and was never in a situation where I felt I would have felt safer if I had a gun.

I have a question, and it's probably an uninformed one, but where do you guys carry your guns when out in public in the summer when not wearing a jacket?
I carry a S&W bodyguard revolver in my back pocket year round. Have switched to the Airweight in the last couple years. It's just as much part of me as putting a pocket knife in the front pocket.

The S&W Airweight Bodyguard in .38 special was the gun Cleon Bagley, the retired Chief of Police of Hazard, KY. carried. Interesting guy. Worked at the City Water Treatment Plant after leaving the Police Department. Was an L&N Railroad Dick during the mine strikes.

TennesseeTuxedo":9dhp01mk said:
Craig Miller":9dhp01mk said:
TennesseeTuxedo":9dhp01mk said:

I've done it all Craig and miraculously I haven't felt the need to shoot anybody yet. The day is young however.

"He's affable"

herofan":oa7csrq3 said:
dun":oa7csrq3 said:
herofan":oa7csrq3 said:

I just duct tape it to my hand. Keep my hand in my pocket. Only thing is you gotta change the duct tape bout once a week or it starts to stink.

Also can't forget about the pistol if your nose itches.

callmefence":1b4m2ark said:
herofan":1b4m2ark said:
dun":1b4m2ark said:

I just duct tape it to my hand. Keep my hand in my pocket. Only thing is you gotta change the duct tape bout once a week or it starts to stink.

Right hand? Left hand? Or both?
Do you need a gun??? I have seen your picture.

:lol:

callmefence":fsn7jmsz said:

I imagine wiping could get pretty exciting, too.

Latest posts