Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

glacierridge":2aejpgmu said:
Ron and Kris,
I'm very excited to have you and yours watch this little guy grow.
We've had excellent carcass contest results with the marriage of Simmental and Belgian Blue. Plus, they are PRETTY!!!
Will be eager to watch him grow and the results.
The tanned hide idea would be fantastic. :)

Now that you made an appearance. I will give you credit for the flush this embryo came from. Just be thick skinned when True Grit comments it is a half azz combination but you can handle that.

Bright Raven":3s8k0pi5 said:
glacierridge":3s8k0pi5 said:
Ron and Kris,
I'm very excited to have you and yours watch this little guy grow.
We've had excellent carcass contest results with the marriage of Simmental and Belgian Blue. Plus, they are PRETTY!!!
Will be eager to watch him grow and the results.
The tanned hide idea would be fantastic. :)

Now that you made an appearance. I will give you credit for the flush this embryo came from. Just be thick skinned when True Grit comments it is a half azz combination but you can handle that.
I didn't mean it like that if that's what I actually said. The calf looks fantastic to me and the donor cow is no slouch either. I was a little shocked that such a distinguished and experienced Simmental breeder would use that cross. There's nothing wrong with that calf besides it's color, and we're pretty much in agreement it's very unique.

I've seen the full siblings of this calf and they're pretty! I believe they're registered. Had the calf been a heifer, it'll probably be registered as Simmental. I do like Simmental x Belgian Blue crosses and from what I've seen Anne's Sim x BB they're meaty and made nice quality carcasses.

Took another picture tonight, dang that little guy is cute! We can not settle on a name yet, but many have been thrown out. His dam is very proud of him.... as you can tell!
352hwjo.jpg

Fire Sweep Ranch":2cxk66xe said:
Took another picture tonight, dang that little guy is cute! We can not settle on a name yet, but many have been thrown out. His dam is very proud of him.... as you can tell!
352hwjo.jpg

He is very handsome. I like him.

Fire Sweep Ranch":27c8zpi9 said:
352hwjo.jpg
Her udder looks better in that picture.

Gators Rule":3d3u1g0d said:
gizmom":3d3u1g0d said:
I feel bad saying this with him looking right at me in the picture but he would make an excellent rug.

Gizmom

Those were my exact thoughts!

Incidentally, some folks in an attempt to appear big, act small.

Don't feel too bad, it's already been discussed lol.

Thought I would update this thread with a picture. He currently weighs 190 pounds, weighed him last night. He is acting off, so we brought up the group and temped them. He was 105, so I gave him Resflor Gold. He is a tank for a calf under 2 months!

He is still sharp looking. Hope the little guy gets feeling better. 105 is HIGH.
This up & down weather is a killer. We have had pouring rain all day 36F. That is the WORSE weather possible in my books.

True Grit Farms":3g7w5h7a said:
Bright Raven":3g7w5h7a said:
True Grit Farms":3g7w5h7a said:
I was just thinking about how much value your breeding choices could add to the Simmental breed. In the near future the hides might be worth more than the meat.

Sarcasm noted. That breeding decision was made for the reasons Kris described above. If you didn't read it, her post explains the logic behind their decision. I throw that out there in case you missed the explanation.

BTW: It would make a wonderful rug. Her daughter has a Zebra rug I gave her. This would be nice In her son's room.
You can still register the calf with the ASA, that's the joke. And logical? Logical is culling your poor producers, she's not a fertile cow and that is easily passed on. Then to go through the expense of putting a embro in that's not what your after is a waste. IMO That's going to be one heck of a calf, I would like to see it at 18 months.

Thought I would update this thread. The recip cow that is raising this calf had an embryo put in her because she did not stick to AI last year. She is currently raising that funky looking (embryo) steer, and has settled to her first AI attempt, HPF Optimizer, again for a calf in December (backed her up 30 days from this year - so two calves in 2018). Sometimes, they just do not settle to AI, but take an embryo. The following year they pick right back up where they left off. NOT using a live bull to cover has some disadvantages, but the good ones stick around year after year. We are looking forward to her AI sired calf this fall. I will update on the steer calf when I can get a picture, but he is a TANK and thick as ever. I am excited to see how he does in our carcass contest!

Not the best pick but caught him eating last night. He is a big boy! Only 5 months old, and still has two months till we wean...

2432hs8.jpg

Here is another Update on Ottis. He is in with the heifers right now, so not getting much grain but still growing like gangbusters! We branded two weeks ago, and it looks like his is coming in nicely. We have our first official weigh in for the carcass contest in Feb, and I am looking forward to it! Remember, he is 3/4 simmental, 1/4 Belgium Blue.

2vj98w6.jpg

And rear
2wp184m.jpg

Fire Sweep Ranch":2zestkda said:
Here is another Update on Ottis. He is in with the heifers right now, so not getting much grain but still growing like gangbusters! We branded two weeks ago, and it looks like his is coming in nicely. We have our first official weigh in for the carcass contest in Feb, and I am looking forward to it! Remember, he is 3/4 simmental, 1/4 Belgium Blue.

2vj98w6.jpg

And rear
2wp184m.jpg

Kris. Here is Eve's new calf. Anne tagged me on that.
28cddg6.jpg

Ron, that calf is a great granddaughter of Eve, so several generations away from our steer. But it shows you how strong that blue roan coat can be!

Latest posts