Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I am privileged to report to you tonight that the next great bull of the Simmental Breed was just born in a manger near the little town of Mt. Vernon, MO.

Here are the pictures Fire Sweep just sent me. I hope True Grit does not desecrate this wonderful event by calling this noble calf a Queer.

Here ladies and gentlemen is your first glimpse of the next great Simmental legend sired by One Eyed Jack:
3464ayf.jpg

2dkiiwl.jpg

Reminds me of the time I realized my neighbors speckle park bull had visited. You don't need a DNA test when a Speckle Park visits. I have been proven wrong before but unless that cow is 1/2 shorthorn I doubt that is a One Eyed Jack no matter what the straw says. Good looking calf though, up and sucking.

cattleman99":3i5d1e1v said:
Reminds me of the time I realized my neighbors speckle park bull had visited. You don't need a DNA test when a Speckle Park visits. I have been proven wrong before but unless that cow is 1/2 shorthorn I doubt that is a One Eyed Jack no matter what the straw says. Good looking calf though, up and sucking.

No. I bet it is One Eyed Jack but I will let Kris address that. I know that cow. She is a PB Simmental.

It makes the comment "too much chrome" an understatement.

Son of Butch":1kfp5es7 said:
Excluding a few great sires....
You must think the bar for the next Great Simmental is quite low... is that why you believe this is "The One"?

You don't. ;-)

No. That much white was surely not planned. Probably a show steer. May even be too much for a show steer. However, I will bet a steak dinner, the calf will test back to One Eyed Jack.

OK - that is NOT what we call CHROME. That is SPOTTED. Totally different.
Are the black areas ROAN colored??
If that is truly a One Eyed Jack, the owners of the bull will not be pleased. That means he is carrying the spotting gene. :shock: And, that means the cow has the spotting gene. But, roan color is also a separate gene.
Remember, the spotting gene is totally separate from the "chrome" areas.
I would be DNA testing this little boy.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1j1mvjhi said:
OK - that is NOT what we call CHROME. That is SPOTTED. Totally different.
Are the black areas ROAN colored??
If that is truly a One Eyed Jack, the owners of the bull will not be pleased. That means he is carrying the spotting gene. :shock: And, that means the cow has the spotting gene. But, roan color is also a separate gene.
Remember, the spotting gene is totally separate from the "chrome" areas.
I would be DNA testing this little boy.

I imagine she will steer him. I don't know who handles One Eyed Jack, but she probably got it in a full cane. There are no other bulls in her area. So it definitely came from a straw.

I have not used One Eyed Jack here. I don't know whether they are aware he carries the spotting gene. I am sure Kris does.

Good healthy looking calf, and could very well be legendary. At first I thought he reminded me of the old time red and white Simmentals, only black and white, then on closer look the black appeared lighter.
I am in agreement with Jeanne those black spots appear to look roan.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2rqt0tdh said:
So, is the calf roan colored also?

It looks that way. Kris will fill us in. She sent those to me this evening. Just the pictures. It will be fun to hear her responses.

Bigfoot":1n4dzcxa said:
A simmental that almost looks like it has some simmental in it.

Lol. You are cursing for a bruising. You don't want to get the Simmental Ladies on the warpath. Jeanne already told you that you were out to lunch on the "Simmentals are not Simmentals theory".

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1jusadil said:
And I have never in my life seen a Simmental look like that.

I hope Fire Sweep don't kill me. She does not know I put that up.

:hide:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3n7whqyx said:
Supa Dexta":3n7whqyx said:
What a cruel god. He takes kell-inKY's calf and leaves that one.
LOL - you made me laugh!!!
There's nothing wrong with the calf - it's just hair. But it would be nice to know "where it came from"!!!

Jeanne. I will bet you, it came from One Eyed Jack. Fire Sweep is very diligent in her handling. I guess it is possible that a foreign straw got sorted into the wrong cane. I also know that she checks labeling of the straw after AI.

It is more likely in my opinion that One Eyed Jack has a deleterious gene.

Hmmm - the spotting isn't as shocking as the roan. I wish Firesweep would get on. What is the dam?
The spot gene can be hidden for many generations and will only show up IF both parents carry it and BOTH pass it on to the offspring. The roan gene is a total unknown. I would send the picture to ASA and see what they think. Maybe there is a "wild" gene I have never heard of or seen. I love the Shorhorns x w/ Angus = blue roans, but I don't know the dominance of the roan gene/

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2po4zg7k said:
Hmmm - the spotting isn't as shocking as the roan. I wish Firesweep would get on. What is the dam?
The spot gene can be hidden for many generations and will only show up IF both parents carry it and BOTH pass it on to the offspring. The roan gene is a total unknown. I would send the picture to ASA and see what they think. Maybe there is a "wild" gene I have never heard of or seen. I love the Shorhorns x w/ Angus = blue roans, but I don't know the dominance of the roan gene/

I am sure she will. Lol. The Dam is Elsa. I kept her here on my farm for about 6 months summer before last. She is a beautiful cow. I forgot her breeding. I am almost sure she is PB.

I have seen several similar coloured calves as a neighbor turned in a roan shorthorn bull to clean up a few years ago when he had bull problems. He got a handful similarly marked as this calves. His cow herd are 90 per cent solid black with the rest black baldies. He has been running black Simmental bulls for around 15 years and the herd was Angus based before that.

Latest posts