Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":2nddkqge said:
Bright Raven":2nddkqge said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":2nddkqge said:
now that is a great idea..... I wonder how well our brand will show up on that hide? A tanned hide with our brand sounds cool!

Your brand would survive tanning. But the problem is that the white brand will not have much contrast with the pelage on the hide. Both are white. I assume you would tan with hair on.

You can have a rug made. Take it to a good taxidermist in Springfield.
I was just thinking about how much value your breeding choices could add to the Simmental breed. In the near future the hides might be worth more than the meat.

Sarcasm noted. That breeding decision was made for the reasons Kris described above. If you didn't read it, her post explains the logic behind their decision. I throw that out there in case you missed the explanation.

BTW: It would make a wonderful rug. Her daughter has a Zebra rug I gave her. This would be nice In her son's room.

Bright Raven":2ru6rlw3 said:
True Grit Farms":2ru6rlw3 said:
Bright Raven":2ru6rlw3 said:
Your brand would survive tanning. But the problem is that the white brand will not have much contrast with the pelage on the hide. Both are white. I assume you would tan with hair on.

You can have a rug made. Take it to a good taxidermist in Springfield.
I was just thinking about how much value your breeding choices could add to the Simmental breed. In the near future the hides might be worth more than the meat.

Sarcasm noted. That breeding decision was made for the reasons Kris described above. If you didn't read it, her post explains the logic behind their decision. I throw that out there in case you missed the explanation.

BTW: It would make a wonderful rug. Her daughter has a Zebra rug I gave her. This would be nice In her son's room.
You can still register the calf with the ASA, that's the joke. And logical? Logical is culling your poor producers, she's not a fertile cow and that is easily passed on. Then to go through the expense of putting a embro in that's not what your after is a waste. IMO That's going to be one heck of a calf, I would like to see it at 18 months.

True Grit Farms":2tkz27hv said:
You can still register the calf with the ASA, that's the joke. And logical? Logical is culling your poor producers, she's not a fertile cow and that is easily passed on. Then to go through the expense of putting a embro in that's not what your after is a waste. IMO That's going to be one heck of a calf, I would like to see it at 18 months.

Why didn't you say that? Now that you put some meat on the bone, I can see your logic. But there is more than one way to skin a calf. It is not my decision, if that same scenario played out here, I might cull too.

As you know, I don't have a bull and don't plan to use one. If I cannot get a cow to stick to AI, she might not stay here.

Well, for all the rig-a-ma-roll surrounding this thread, :lol: , I have to say I think he's a cool looking calf. And I also like the idea of tanning his hide, it would look good! :)

Bright Raven":1eej03vz said:
Son of Butch":1eej03vz said:
Excluding a few great sires....
You must think the bar for the next Great Simmental is quite low... is that why you believe this is "The One"?
You don't. ;-)

No. That much white was surely not planned. Probably a show steer. May even be too much for a show steer.
No, I don't think the bar for the next Great Simmental is set low. In fact I think it may never be reached again.

Now that the situation has been explained, I can understand the logic.
I think you might be on to something and he may well become a legendary Simmental bull.
Bringing Belgium Blue into the mix could help the breed and certainly shouldn't hurt Simmental calving ease any. :)

p.s.
Frankenstein, Hannibal Lector and Rasputin all became legendary.
Maybe Kris will name him Rasputin or perhaps after his descendant.... Vladimir Putin.
Vlad the Destroyer has a certain ring to it.

Son of Butch":129jsxdz said:
p.p.s.s.
Rasputin if he remains a bull.
Vlad for a steer... as I like the idea of castrating Putin.

I like Rasputin as a name. I doubt Kris would. That guy would have made a fortune if he had lived during the Era of the TV evangelist.

Amazing the influence he had. There are people who have some kinda mojo to do that. He was one.

Putin has a nice sound to it! I will have to run it by the kids... right now we are calling him "little dude".

Here is a funny; Since it was so cold when he was born, we pulled him and his dam up for the night into the barn. I let them out the next morning, because I hate keeping cattle in the barn (hate cleaning up pens by hand). Anyway, he walks out with him dam to the pasture, and ALL the cows, including the ones nestled down in the hay I laid out the night before, came running at him, some vocalizing! I think they thought he was a dog, because his coloring is so unusual!!! They followed him around for several minutes, and his dam did not like it!
My girls are not used to so much color.... but I never would have guessed they would react that way to a calf!

True Grit Farms":2yojzz95 said:
Logical is culling your poor producers, she's not a fertile cow and that is easily passed on. Then to go through the expense of putting a embro in that's not what your after is a waste. IMO That's going to be one heck of a calf, I would like to see it at 18 months.

I was going to let this rest, but decided against it. How is this cow NOT a fertile cow WHEN she just had her THIRD calf BEFORE her fourth birthday? Had I had a walking bull, she would have stuck. Most people that AI give them one chance, then throw a bull at them. We choose to work a little differently. IF they do not stick AI, we put an embryo in them. I think they have to be pretty fertile to carry an embryo. I have several cows that did not stick AI one year, raised an embryo, and then stuck AI the next year. Regardless of AI or embryo calf, the cow has to be fertile to do either. No free loaders here. Everyone produces a calf at least once a year, or they are gone.
By the way, she produces one heck of a calf! This was her calf from last fall (2016):
33m7wnl.jpg

Sired by American Pride, and had a yearling weight of 1182 (Oct born). I sold him at Farm Fest

This was her calf from 2015, a heifer sired by HPF Optimizer, Nov born
24wwu8k.jpg

For a first calf, had a weaning weight of 550 pounds at 189 days of age, a yearling weight of 1010 (of course, she was fed for show), and who she herself had a marvelous calf in October this fall, sired by Elevate, and is already 30 days bred back for a Broadway calf next September.
6h6aog.jpg

I think she is a pretty darn good producer myself. And her daughter seems to be following in her footsteps.

Fire Sweep Ranch":3gtb6wm9 said:
True Grit Farms":3gtb6wm9 said:
Logical is culling your poor producers, she's not a fertile cow and that is easily passed on. Then to go through the expense of putting a embro in that's not what your after is a waste. IMO That's going to be one heck of a calf, I would like to see it at 18 months.

I was going to let this rest, but decided against it. How is this cow NOT a fertile cow WHEN she just had her THIRD calf BEFORE her fourth birthday? Had I had a walking bull, she would have stuck. Most people that AI give them one chance, then throw a bull at them. We choose to work a little differently. IF they do not stick AI, we put an embryo in them. I think they have to be pretty fertile to carry an embryo. I have several cows that did not stick AI one year, raised an embryo, and then stuck AI the next year. Regardless of AI or embryo calf, the cow has to be fertile to do either. No free loaders here. Everyone produces a calf at least once a year, or they are gone.
By the way, she produces one heck of a calf! This was her calf from last fall (2016):
33m7wnl.jpg

Sired by American Pride, and had a yearling weight of 1182 (Oct born). I sold him at Farm Fest

24wwu8k.jpg

For a first calf, had a weaning weight of 550 pounds at 189 days of age, a yearling weight of 1010 (of course, she was fed for show), and who she herself had a marvelous calf in October this fall, sired by Elevate, and is already 30 days bred back for a Broadway calf next September.
6h6aog.jpg

I think she is a pretty darn good producer myself. And her daughter seems to be following in her footsteps.
That's called assuming, AI can be more effective than a bull on a lot of cows. A bull just has the timing down to a tee or breeds her more than once sometimes. All that matters is it worked out for you. To me if a cow didn't stick to AI twice, I sure wouldn't of went thru the expense of putting a embryo in her. You'd be hard to beat at poker. And I dang sure wouldn't of put a half azz embryo in her. She sure produced a couple of really nice calves. Why not just use her as a recp? You know she's going to raise a really good calf.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1ht84mna said:
True Grit Farms":1ht84mna said:

33m7wnl.jpg

24wwu8k.jpg

6h6aog.jpg

Beautiful cattle, :tiphat: That bull calf looks really impressive to me, and has some serious length of body.

Bright Raven":1qkp56hn said:
Here ladies and gentlemen is your first glimpse of the next great Simmental legend sired by One Eyed Jack:
3464ayf.jpg
I nominate Little Dude aka Vladimir PUTIN as Cattle Forum's 2018 Calf of the Year.

Thanks to Ronsputin's exceptionally "informative" posting he'll be hard to beat in creating controversy.
Get a sister to him and you could name her: "Miss Information"
One Eyed Jacks are Wild (in poker) cross with Rampage and you could get a legendary Sim-angus bull.
Rampaging Jack.

FS - I would guess Grit has not tried to maintain a breeding season using 100% AI. Our cows are fertile myrtles or they wouldn't be in your program or mine.
And what's wrong with using a cheap embryo to produce a potential 4-H calf? Good job.
Not sure about your situation, but my vet does my embryo implants and charges $10/implant + house call. Cheaper than some of the semen I use!!
He is flashy and will get more "roaned" colored, I believe.

There are very fertile cows out there that will not stick to AI but when put with a bull stick quick every time. Personally I AI very little. Find the calves are usually as good or better out of my herd bulls.

cattleman99":339l0arv said:
There are very fertile cows out there that will not stick to AI but when put with a bull stick quick every time. Personally I AI very little. Find the calves are usually as good or better out of my herd bulls.

Not being sarcastic, but that depends on how good the herd bull is. Maybe my herd bulls that I had here were common. Based on that premise - my AI calves have been much better.

More importantly for me, I don't have the time and resources invested in a walking bull.

Bright Raven":1o3hipwj said:
cattleman99":1o3hipwj said:

Not being sarcastic, but that depends on how good the herd bull is. Maybe my herd bulls that I had here were common. Based on that premise - my AI calves have been much better.

More importantly for me, I don't have the time and resources invested in a walking bull.

Time? Not sure what you mean. Takes me a lot less time to pick a bull out of a catalog, take a drive to look at him and buy him than it does to try and heat detect and AI. Lots of sales around here every year between eastern Saskatchewan and Manitoba, North Dakota isn't far either if the dollar improves. At 60-100 bulls per sale there are several thousand to choose from, so it's not hard to get one bought for 6-8k which I am comfortable spending.

cattleman99":3g5xgxti said:
Time? Not sure what you mean. Takes me a lot less time to pick a bull out of a catalog, take a drive to look at him and buy him than it does to try and heat detect and AI. Lots of sales around here every year between eastern Saskatchewan and Manitoba, North Dakota isn't far either if the dollar improves. At 60-100 bulls per sale there are several thousand to choose from, so it's not hard to get one bought for 6-8k which I am comfortable spending.

Time and resources managing a live bull. Feeding him separately during the time you don't want him in the herd. Keeping him separate from the heifers.

This is premised on the infrastructure, acreage and small size of my operation. My strategy is keeping everything in one herd. I can then rotate between three pastures. With a bull, I often had to manage him separately. AI for me has been a relatively simple effort. I have been 100 % on getting them all bred. Right now, I have bred 21 since Thanksgiving. 15 have passed as bred. 6 are waiting to pass. For only the effort of 45 days of heat detection and breeding, I can put my bull in a tank!

I have a second yard with a small pasture and lots of bush I Winter my bulls in a couple miles away. There is no issue for me that way. I AI a little but prefer not to, except for the heifers.

cattleman99":vbfnnbp9 said:
I have a second yard with a small pasture and lots of bush I Winter my bulls in a couple miles away. There is no issue for me that way. I AI a little but prefer not to, except for the heifers.

Larger operations makes a big difference. I understand.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":ffta3kmy said:
FS - I would guess Grit has not tried to maintain a breeding season using 100% AI. Our cows are fertile myrtles or they wouldn't be in your program or mine.
And what's wrong with using a cheap embryo to produce a potential 4-H calf? Good job.
Not sure about your situation, but my vet does my embryo implants and charges $10/implant + house call. Cheaper than some of the semen I use!!
He is flashy and will get more "roaned" colored, I believe.

Yes, exactly!
The kids are having fun watching this guy, he stands out! His mom has more milk than he can consume.... and at just a few days old, he has taken possession of the "compost pile"!!! :lol2:
This one will be a fun steer project.
mu9w7a.jpg

King of the MOUNTAIN! lol

Latest posts