New Simmental bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Brought him home last night.
Born 4-5-22. BW 95
He will be used on cows.
My thinking and hope is that he will blend well with our cows, and in particular sisters and daughter of our current bull. They have plenty of height at maturity and length, and hoping his thickness gives his calves some added growth and volume.
1E780BC8-51CD-4AED-9BBC-1DFC58B084DA.jpegEE2486F4-3769-4D75-BE43-BB0E7A886874.jpeg84441A19-472A-4F35-84CB-2E2B26BBB375.jpegEA41F746-4CDE-401E-82D4-70D3C1B7F4F7.jpegD50508AC-F6D0-44EF-96DF-E123B16A4C56.jpeg

He looks a lot better in several aspects than in the other pictures. Better topline, a well defined crest, nice muscular neck and yes, the sheath appears a lot tighter in these pictures. Still looks 'short' but I'm not a simmental guy.
Missing is a good picture of scrotum.
Now that you have him home, how is his temperment?

Born 4-5-22. BW 95
He will be used on cows.
My thinking and hope is that he will blend well with our cows, and in particular sisters and daughter of our current bull. They have plenty of height at maturity and length, and hoping his thickness gives his calves some added growth and volume.
View attachment 28919View attachment 28920View attachment 28921View attachment 28922View attachment 28923
This ain't your first " bull-buying" rodeo. Looks to me like you made a good choice. How is his disposition? At what age do you generally start using young bulls?

This ain't your first " bull-buying" rodeo. Looks to me like you made a good choice. How is his disposition? At what age do you generally start using young bulls?
Disposition seems to be real good.
This one won't be used till around December, unless something unforeseen comes up.
In the past I have turned out young bulls with 10 or so at a year old, I prefer them to be 14-15 months though before turnout.

He looks a lot better in several aspects than in the other pictures. Better topline, a well defined crest, nice muscular neck and yes, the sheath appears a lot tighter in these pictures. Still looks 'short' but I'm not a simmental guy.
Missing is a good picture of scrotum.
Now that you have him home, how is his temperment?
Temperament seems fine, he's calm and seems unconcerned in the shed by himself.
3CACB6BA-36BA-48CB-86E5-26A999581590.jpeg

Born 4-5-22. BW 95
He will be used on cows.
View attachment 28919View attachment 28920View attachment 28921View attachment 28922View attachment 28923
These pics are night and day making him look better.

He looks good. Structurally correct. I do not thing he is showing any post legged issues. He has good angle on his shoulder, which is usually straight with post legged cattle. He is a little short coupled, but massive depth and thickness. He shows good rib which is needed if you plan to keep any replacements. I always tell everyone, you want to be able to fit a 50 gallon drum in your cows if you expect them to have a decent size calf and survive on grass and hay. You did good!
His tail coloring is showing the "wild color gene", but generally they would have black "mascara & eyelashes" and a black nose. I love the look!! Same gene as in brindle cattle from what I have read.

I am catching up on both threads. These pictures are 100% better!! He is not high tail head, not sway back and not posty. He may have a tick more shoulder than what I look for - but his big ears cover them up on the front view (LOL a Simmental trait).
Easy calving bulls "sometimes" are short gestation bulls. But - they are usually the "spread" bulls. Spread bull is a low BW, easy calving - with tremendous growth. These are "generally" early gestation bulls.
Years ago, we used to turn in breeding dates so ASA was able to keep track of gestation in days.
Generally, a CE bull is a low growth bull. I would never be afraid of his CE BW for cows.
And yes, BW is highly influenced by the cow and ENVIRONMENT. I have a friend that has purchases many females from me and we use the same bulls AI. His farm is 1 hour away. Major difference in our BW's. His cows get into a barn in the winter - never are affected by the weather. And are fed good dry hay. My cows are brutally exposed to the cold winter and are fed 16% baleage. My calves BW's probably average 20# more than his cattle. And, my cows are bigger mature weight. So, that makes me think the gestational programing might affect the final mature weight???

He looks good. Structurally correct. I do not thing he is showing any post legged issues. He has good angle on his shoulder, which is usually straight with post legged cattle. He is a little short coupled, but massive depth and thickness. He shows good rib which is needed if you plan to keep any replacements. I always tell everyone, you want to be able to fit a 50 gallon drum in your cows if you expect them to have a decent size calf and survive on grass and hay. You did good!
His tail coloring is showing the "wild color gene", but generally they would have black "mascara & eyelashes" and a black nose. I love the look!! Same gene as in brindle cattle from what I have read.
Thank you,

Agree on these pictures compared to the other two. If the breeder needs pictures of any more of his bulls, suggest he hire you (or maybe your wife?) to take the pictures.
Thanks, that bull was easy to get those pictures. Honestly we didn't know what we were going to find based on the pictures. It was in an area with a lot of Amish. Soon as we turned in the drive wife said they're not Amish. Real nice neat kept place, ( not saying Amish places aren't neat and well kept, all I've seen have been, but just very plain) these folks had spared no expense on their property, facilities or cattle. They showed us some of their cattle, some bulls that had just been brought in from Colorado and South Dakota if heard right.

Latest posts