Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1yefvi57 said:
Hmmm - the spotting isn't as shocking as the roan. I wish Firesweep would get on. What is the dam?
The spot gene can be hidden for many generations and will only show up IF both parents carry it and BOTH pass it on to the offspring. The roan gene is a total unknown. I would send the picture to ASA and see what they think. Maybe there is a "wild" gene I have never heard of or seen. I love the Shorhorns x w/ Angus = blue roans, but I don't know the dominance of the roan gene/

Jeanne. It is possible that this calf might be an embryo implant. The Sire is One Eyed Jack. But it could have been an embryo flushed to One Eyed Jack. I just saw on Kris' Facebook that she had a new calf born to a Short Horn Commercial Cow and One Eyed Jack. I know Elsa is not a short horn. So it must be an embryo implant.
2u63dpg.jpg

Bright Raven":2fiw4vyu said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2fiw4vyu said:
Hmmm - the spotting isn't as shocking as the roan. I wish Firesweep would get on. What is the dam?
The spot gene can be hidden for many generations and will only show up IF both parents carry it and BOTH pass it on to the offspring. The roan gene is a total unknown. I would send the picture to ASA and see what they think. Maybe there is a "wild" gene I have never heard of or seen. I love the Shorhorns x w/ Angus = blue roans, but I don't know the dominance of the roan gene/

Jeanne. It is possible that this calf might be an embryo implant. The Sire is One Eyed Jack. But it could have been an embryo flushed to One Eyed Jack. I just saw on Kris' Facebook that she had a new calf born to a Short Horn Commercial Cow and One Eyed Jack. I know Elsa is not a short horn. So it must be an embryo implant.
2u63dpg.jpg

Or did the two switch calves? We're the births witnessed? Just asking. Cause that would make sense.

cattleman99":30971yzh said:
Bright Raven":30971yzh said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":30971yzh said:

2u63dpg.jpg

Or did the two switch calves? We're the births witnessed? Just asking. Cause that would make sense.

Just one birth. Cow in the picture is Elsa. It is possible that Elsa delivered an implanted embryo of a Short Horn X One Eyed Jack.

The calf is an embryo calf.

Dam is a cow owned by a lady here on CT. A Belgian Blue.
Sire: One Eyed Jack

We had a heifer born a few years ago out of a lucky dice cow that dad swore was from the neighbors shorthorn bull. As the calf grew the "Blue roan" color fadded to solid big spots. It can happen.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":kxstwd4u said:
Yup. Dice was a solid black bull, that sure would spot up your calves, bred to a cow carrying the gene.

Did you see the calf is an embryo? Dam is a Belgian Blue

Jeanne. Embryos came from Anne. You know her.

Bigfoot":1ryz6m5b said:
No worries. It can probably still be registered as a simmental :D

It is 5/8 Simmental, so yes. Just like you register a Simangus. I doubt that she will.

First, I am going to kill Ron!

Ok, let's explain a few things. First, he is an embryo, in fact sired by One Eyed Jack, and out of a 1/4 blood simm, 3/4 blood Belgium Blue cow. The cow is, in fact, owned by Glacier Ridge, or better known as Anne. Eve injured herself, and before putting her down they wanted to flush her. They flushed her to One Eyed Jack. Anne wanted some semen on one of my bulls, so I traded her a few embryos for the semen.
Elsa is a Jan 14 cow, who had a fantastic Optimizer heifer (been on here many times) in Nov 15, then an American Pride bull in October16 (shown and sold as a bull - pictured here also). We could not get her stuck, even with Ron breeding her. I did not want to lose more time on her, so I decided to put a lower cost embryo in her to give it a try, and it stuck. That calf is the embryo. I got what I wanted, a live calf that she can raise and get her back on track with AI.
That calf will be castrated, and shown in our carcass contest next spring. Both of my kids are fighting over who gets to show him, because of his unusual color (he is a blue roan, with lots of white!). So he gets the baldy face from OEJ, and the roaning from his dam.
Here is a picture of Eve
2jax3j4.jpg

I have to say, I was not expecting that much color. Anne has two heifer calves out of this flush, I think about yearlings now. They both look like their dam, color wise. I look forward to seeing how he grows and hangs on the rail.
Now, back to your regularly scheduled program!

My last will and testament.

All my worldly belongings go to my son.

Since I am an atheist of firm conviction, I know these are my last hours. I only have a few before Fire Sweep sends in the hit squad. I have had a good life and I am ready.

From dust I came and to dust I return.

Good bye good world.

Bright Raven":2alpdpe3 said:
My last will and testament.

All my worldly belongings go to my son.

Since I am an atheist of firm conviction, I know these are my last hours. I only have a few before Fire Sweep sends in the hit squad. I have had a good life and I am ready.

From dust I came and to dust I return.

Good bye good world.
Well raven you jumped the gun a little bit with this thread! And now it's time to pay the price! :wave:

True Grit Farms":79dhomxe said:
I'd get the hide tanned when the time comes.
now that is a great idea..... I wonder how well our brand will show up on that hide? A tanned hide with our brand sounds cool!

wbvs58":79dhomxe said:
It'll darken up a lot.

Ken

How long does it take to darken? I'm not used to these color variations!

Fire Sweep Ranch":2v1rx1nl said:
True Grit Farms":2v1rx1nl said:
now that is a great idea..... I wonder how well our brand will show up on that hide? A tanned hide with our brand sounds cool!

Your brand would survive tanning. But the problem is that the white brand will not have much contrast with the pelage on the hide. Both are white. I assume you would tan with hair on.

You can have a rug made. Take it to a good taxidermist in Springfield.

Bright Raven":1bbjcng9 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":1bbjcng9 said:
True Grit Farms":1bbjcng9 said:

Your brand would survive tanning. But the problem is that the white brand will not have much contrast with the pelage on the hide. Both are white. I assume you would tan with hair on.

You can have a rug made. Take it to a good taxidermist in Springfield.
I was just thinking about how much value your breeding choices could add to the Simmental breed. In the near future the hides might be worth more than the meat.

Latest posts