Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch":1sltmyvs said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1sltmyvs said:
FS - I would guess Grit has not tried to maintain a breeding season using 100% AI. Our cows are fertile myrtles or they wouldn't be in your program or mine.
And what's wrong with using a cheap embryo to produce a potential 4-H calf? Good job.
Not sure about your situation, but my vet does my embryo implants and charges $10/implant + house call. Cheaper than some of the semen I use!!
He is flashy and will get more "roaned" colored, I believe.

Yes, exactly!
The kids are having fun watching this guy, he stands out! His mom has more milk than he can consume.... and at just a few days old, he has taken possession of the "compost pile"!!! :lol2:
This one will be a fun steer project.
mu9w7a.jpg

King of the MOUNTAIN! lol

That is the coolest picture I have seen on Cattle Today. :D

Maybe Belgian Blue is a better cross with Simmentals than Angus. He is very vigorous.

True Grit Farms":1n1r33bu said:
That's a beautiful calf no doubt. But definitely just a recip cow if the udder is as bad as it looks in the picture.
You are such a professional at judging an udder based on THAT picture? :roll:

Though she may not have a perfect udder, and her teat size is a bit big for a show cow (which, she is not), this is by no way just a "recip" cow. Here she is THIS MORNING, very full of milk because she just calved and the calf is not keeping up on her milk production:
qp2elh.jpg

And here she is last year, in normal production:
2ppgfud.jpg

And right before her first calf...
289wjv7.jpg

And of course, you saw HER DAUGHTER in production, in the picture on the last page..... I think I will keep her, and her daughter, based on what they produce. After all, they are just "hobby" cattle :tiphat:

Fire Sweep Ranch":3suec6xz said:
True Grit Farms":3suec6xz said:
That's a beautiful calf no doubt. But definitely just a recip cow if the udder is as bad as it looks in the picture.

Though she may not have a perfect udder, and her teat size is a bit big for a show cow (which, she is not), this is by no way just a "recip" cow. Here she is THIS MORNING, very full of milk because she just calved and the calf is not keeping up on her milk production:
qp2elh.jpg

2ppgfud.jpg

FS It would make me proud to own any of these females. I would like too see pics of these "perfect" cows of TG's. You only AI your cows once is that correct? If so not sure how a one could condemn a cow on fertility based on that. Again just my opinion. Seeing your cattle makes me consider Black Simmi's but like I've stated before our market here don't prefer them. Sure nice cattle. Will be interested in seeing how the calf develops.

289wjv7.jpg

And of course, you saw HER DAUGHTER in production, in the picture on the last page..... I think I will keep her, and her daughter, based on what they produce. After all, they are just "hobby" cattle :tiphat:

Fire Sweep Ranch":39uht9y2 said:
True Grit Farms":39uht9y2 said:

qp2elh.jpg

2ppgfud.jpg

289wjv7.jpg

Your comprehension of words is as bad as your boyfriends. Question, what does the udder look like to you in that picture? There's a reason I used the word IF in that sentence. :hide:

True Grit Farms":28jtl182 said:
Your comprehension of words is as bad as your boyfriends. Question, what does the udder look like to you in that picture? There's a reason I used the word IF in that sentence. :hide:

I hope she ignores that, Vince. It might bother her, kinda makes me proud. :hide:

Seriously, she has forgot more about cattle than you will ever know.

Bright Raven":3ixw9oak said:
True Grit Farms":3ixw9oak said:

I hope she ignores that, Vince. It might bother her, kinda makes me proud. :hide:

Let me ask you Ron, what does the cows udder look like to YOU in that picture? I don't make excuses for my cattle.

True Grit Farms":10j8k071 said:
Bright Raven":10j8k071 said:
True Grit Farms":10j8k071 said:

Let me ask you Ron, what does the cows udder look like to YOU in that picture?

I understand your impression of the udder in that picture. However, in truth - I had that cow on this farm for 6 or more months - she has an acceptable udder.

You have to be who you are Vince. On my oath as a Cattleman, I enjoy your company here. If I can use a rare opportunity to criticize you it would be this: don't be so quick to judge.

You call me a liberal. It does not bother me. In fact, call me anything you want to, you have my blessings. But calling does not make it so.

Bright Raven":p34re9bz said:
True Grit Farms":p34re9bz said:
Bright Raven":p34re9bz said:

Let me ask you Ron, what does the cows udder look like to YOU in that picture?

I understand your impression of the udder in that picture.
However, in truth - I had that cow on this farm for 6 or more months - she has an acceptable udder.

You have to be who you are Vince. On my oath as a Cattleman, I enjoy your company here. If I can use a rare opportunity to criticize you it would be this: don't be so quick to judge.

You call me a liberal. It does not bother me. In fact, call me anything you want to, you have my blessings. But calling does not make it so.
That still doesn't answer my question of what does the cows udder look like to YOU?
When you assume and twist and delete words it's nothing different than what the liberal fake news networks do. IMO

True Grit Farms":aiamnit6 said:
That still doesn't answer my question of what does the cows udder look like to YOU?
When you assume and twist and delete words it's nothing different than what the liberal fake news networks do. IMO

The udder looks distended. The left front teat looks turgid. It is not remarkably unusual for a postpartum cow.

The udder looks functional. Is it perfect, no, but it should hold up for as long as it needs to. Simmental milk, unlike some other breeds. That's where the weaning weights come from and were the profit comes from. That's why they are as popular as they are up here. Give her a few weeks and her milk production will taper down to the calfs needs.

My observation has been the perfect looking cow with the perfect udder seldom weans an above average calf. Looked at lots of perfect looking cows in many different breeds over the years where they are selling embryos that have very few registered progeny because they aren't very good.

Bright Raven":tv0m1xmt said:
True Grit Farms":tv0m1xmt said:

The udder looks distended. The left front teat looks turgid. It is not remarkably unusual for a postpartum cow.
We're talking a cow with only her third calf here, what's her udder going to look like after 10+ calves is anyone's guess? Fact is a good or poor udder is very hereditary and can be passed on from the Dame or Sire. This cow has produced two really nice calves of her own. One was sold as a bull, hopefully to a terminal operation. Because it's very apparent he will sire some really good calves. But there's also a very real possibility that his heifers will have udders that look like his Dame. To me this is another good example to see what the Dame of your bull looks like.

True Grit Farms":ev6n9n1f said:
Bright Raven":ev6n9n1f said:
True Grit Farms":ev6n9n1f said:

We're talking a cow with only her third calf here, what's her udder going to look like after 10+ calves is anyone's guess? Fact is a good or poor udder is very hereditary and can be passed on from the Dame or Sire. This cow has produced two really nice calves of her own. One was sold as a bull, hopefully to a terminal operation. Because it's very apparent he will sire some really good calves. But there's also a very real possibility that his heifers will have udders that look like his Dame. To me this is another good example to see what the Dame of your bull looks like.

I agree. I will be culling a cow this spring that other than her udder, has been a very fine cow.

cattleman99":1yr29fyk said:
The udder looks functional. Is it perfect, no, but it should hold up for as long as it needs to. Simmental milk, unlike some other breeds. That's where the weaning weights come from and were the profit comes from. That's why they are as popular as they are up here. Give her a few weeks and her milk production will taper down to the calfs needs.

My observation has been the perfect looking cow with the perfect udder seldom weans an above average calf. Looked at lots of perfect looking cows in many different breeds over the years where they are selling embryos that have very few registered progeny because they aren't very good.
Could be a very true observation, because to many folks just kick the ball down the road. So a cow with a good udder doesn't usually raise an above adverage calf? I've read some real bs on the internet but this is right at the top. A lot of the top seedstock producers in the US of A raise very few above adverage calves according to your observations. Every seedstock producer that I've been to culls their cattle with poor udders. All you have to do is look at the udders on the Dames of the top AI bulls in the country to see how important a good udder is for selling semen.

Bright Raven":2vfqc5la said:
True Grit Farms":2vfqc5la said:
Bright Raven":2vfqc5la said:

I agree. I will be culling a cow this spring that other than her udder, has been a very fine cow.
Use her as a recip, a proven calf raiser is a hard find.

True Grit Farms":b0on289p said:
Bright Raven":b0on289p said:
True Grit Farms":b0on289p said:

Use her as a recip, a proven calf raiser is a hard find.

That is exactly what Kris told me.

True Grit Farms":1lcxskww said:
cattleman99":1lcxskww said:

Could be a very true observation, because to many folks just kick the ball down the road. So a cow with a good udder doesn't usually raise an above adverage calf? I've read some real bs on the internet but this is right at the top. A lot of the top seedstock producers in the US of A raise very few above adverage calves according to your observations. Every seedstock producer that I've been to culls their cattle with poor udders. All you have to do is look at the udders on the Dames of the top AI bulls in the country to see how important a good udder is for selling semen.

Keep cherry picking partial quotes and trolling Simmental topics TG. You may have finally found your calling in life.

cattleman99":1d9dn0lq said:
True Grit Farms":1d9dn0lq said:
cattleman99":1d9dn0lq said:

Keep cherry picking partial quotes and trolling Simmental topics TG. You may have finally found your calling in life.

He is a Simmental troll. As long as it makes him feel good, we should be happy for him? :D

True Grit Farms":2s9ouzcm said:
cattleman99":2s9ouzcm said:

Could be a very true observation, because to many folks just kick the ball down the road. So a cow with a good udder doesn't usually raise an above adverage calf? I've read some real bs on the internet but this is right at the top. A lot of the top seedstock producers in the US of A raise very few above adverage calves according to your observations. Every seedstock producer that I've been to culls their cattle with poor udders. All you have to do is look at the udders on the Dames of the top AI bulls in the country to see how important a good udder is for selling semen.[/quote
If the AI studs pay attention to udders of the dam it would surprise me as they don't seem to pay any attention to structural soundness. I would rather have that udder than an unsound bull or cow that won't last till they are 5.

Ron and Kris,
I'm very excited to have you and yours watch this little guy grow.
We've had excellent carcass contest results with the marriage of Simmental and Belgian Blue. Plus, they are PRETTY!!!
Will be eager to watch him grow and the results.
The tanned hide idea would be fantastic. :)