Neighbor Problems

Help Support CattleToday:

alacattleman":1dpmt975 said:
if all else fails, catch him out somewhere and stomp the pi$$ out of him... we always had good luck with that :p

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: A few years ago I got a new farm and I had it surveyed to be sure I put the fence up 6" off the line. Neighbor didn't like it. Claimed I was stealing his land. The survey I paid for was a mirror image of another survey done in 1928 but this fella still didn't like it. His land was not surveyed and he didn't know where the corners were he just knew mine was wrong cause the fella that sold it to him said he was buying more than he actually was AND his corner was across a county road from me. :???: Anyhow, he mentioned that it would be a shame for someone to shoot my cows. I looked him right in the eye and told him that would be a shame cause I'd hate to go back to Reidesville. (a bad prison in Georgia) He and I have had no problems since. (and no, I wasn't in Reidesville - did work there but not as a prisoner)

You have 2 choices. Fuss and fight over it for the rest of the time you are neighbors, OR,...build a better fence. Yeah, stompin a mudhole in this guy is a very inviting idea, but then again, that just leads to more fussing and fighting. Put up some woven wire, or a hot wire to keep the cows from sticking their heads through. Then whatever kind of crap this guy wants to pull wont matter. Three strands of barbed wire is not enough for cows anyway. If it were me I would put up some 3 or 4 foot woven wire with a couple strands of barb on top in that situation. Sucks you gotta do the extra work because of someone elses B.S., but thats life sometimes. I have a lot of bad neighbors, I feel for you, good luck.

if all else fails, catch him out somewhere and stomp the pi$$ out of him... we always had good luck with that
Done that and----Dude takes out warrant and I end up paying---Done that again and--- Judge gives me suspended sentence but---- NO more problems !! :tiphat:

spray diesel on it or throw some roadkill there...make the area where hes throwin the plants where you put yer garbage so it stinks...

or maybe hes so stupid he dont know

but filed fence will sove the problem til the starts throwin it over..then you can kick his ass

mtblujeans":2lucji0e said:
Thank you for your replies....I think. :)

Our animals are well fed and don't eat the grasses through the fence. The fence in question is actually his. We have almost all new fencing on the perimeter of our property....having new posts, "hog wire", and 2 strands of barb wire to keep the cattle's faces in....except for his fence line....which is 3 strands of barb wire. We don't pet or feed our animals through the fences to avoid problems of them pushing through.

We mend his fence to make sure it stays up but he doesn't really like us touching it. His horses and cattle are pushing through his fence to eat the grasses growing on our property.

I find it a bit extreme to poison a neighbor's animal. We have put a panel up along the fence to keep the newest calves from being curious and getting poisoned.

I just thought that, since it is illegal to poison a stray dog, there might be something we could do to protect our animals other than replace his entire fence for him.

Instead of complaining about the issue if the fence borders your property then it is both of yalls fence. Technically probably his but if you offered to better the fence to fence them out of it then perhaps you wouldnt be in this situation

talldog":20twe183 said:
if all else fails, catch him out somewhere and stomp the pi$$ out of him... we always had good luck with that
Done that and----Dude takes out warrant and I end up paying---Done that again and--- Judge gives me suspended sentence but---- NO more problems !! :tiphat:

Same thing happened to me. Luckily my dad and the judge went way back. Some strings were pulled and all charges were dismissed. I never even had to pay court costs. I did go to court over it though so I could gloat in front of the guy that took out the warrant and show he couldnt touch me even in a court of law. I have changed alot since those "young dumb days" I dont like confrontations anymore unless I absolutely have to because its a hassle.

mtblujeans":1aliawdp said:

Our animals are well fed and don't eat the grasses through the fence. The fence in question is actually his. We have almost all new fencing on the perimeter of our property....having new posts, "hog wire", and 2 strands of barb wire to keep the cattle's faces in....except for his fence line....which is 3 strands of barb wire. We don't pet or feed our animals through the fences to avoid problems of them pushing through.

We mend his fence to make sure it stays up but he doesn't really like us touching it. His horses and cattle are pushing through his fence to eat the grasses growing on our property.
I must be missing something here. How can a fence on a property line be just his?

BC":1g4b4rsu said:
mtblujeans":1g4b4rsu said:

I must be missing something here. How can a fence on a property line be just his?
Sounds like Red Neck thinking.

Even if the fence is on the property line it belongs to the person who put it up.

Had a similar problem. Neighbors cows kept busting through our fence to get into one of our pastures. After the 3rd time, we told them that they get to fix it this time. We had fixed it the first 2 times.

S&W why don't you come out and put your money into something that belongs to someone else and watch what you did disappear into their pocket. Now why would blujeans want to do that?

I luv herfrds":gt26lrfn said:
Even if the fence is on the property line it belongs to the person who put it up.

Had a similar problem. Neighbors cows kept busting through our fence to get into one of our pastures. After the 3rd time, we told them that they get to fix it this time. We had fixed it the first 2 times.

S&W why don't you come out and put your money into something that belongs to someone else and watch what you did disappear into their pocket. Now why would blujeans want to do that?

It doesn't work that way here. Your laws make too much sense. Here, if I put up a fence on the line it belongs to both of us and I will have to ask permission to take the fence down if I want to. For this reason, all the fences I put up are set back six inches and I don't mind if my neighbor uses it but I'll be danged if I'm going to ask permission to take my own fence down if I want to.

put up a few more corral panels so your cows can't reach through or build fence inside the other one. solve the problem instead of adding to it. if they are buttheads let them be buttheads, but don't be one yourself. i have neighbors who plant their garden, flowers, etc a few feet from the fence, they have horses i have cows and 2 mini horses. i put panels up by the garden or shut the animals out of that part. i shouldn't have to but...

Jogeephus":2t0gis29 said:
I luv herfrds":2t0gis29 said:

It doesn't work that way here. Your laws make too much sense. Here, if I put up a fence on the line it belongs to both of us and I will have to ask permission to take the fence down if I want to. For this reason, all the fences I put up are set back six inches and I don't mind if my neighbor uses it but I'll be danged if I'm going to ask permission to take my own fence down if I want to.

Same here. The fence belongs to both parties and by law it is both parties responsibilities to maintain that fence whether they want to or not.

Here there is no law pertaining to maintenance but the neighborly thing to do is to help out either by supplying materials or labor but if you break it your supposed to fix it.

Here, unless there is an agreement otherwise, a landowner is responsible for the right hand half of a shared fence.

Bandsaw":1qo4oz83 said:
Here, unless there is an agreement otherwise, a landowner is responsible for the right hand half of a shared fence.

That's how I've always understood it around here too. With the exception that if one land owner has livestock and the other one does not, then the one owning the livestock is responsible for 100% of the fence. (no livestock, no need for a fence)

My problem is that on some occasions I end up dealing with 100% of the fence. I fix up or replace the right half, and then I have to string up a hot fence along the neighbors dilapidated left half. The neighbors perception of time, priorities, and schedules are a little different than mine.

Sometimes I just go ahead and string up the entire thing. (sometimes it's good to pay the money and not have to deal with it!)

Back to the origional post, I can understand the whole "the fence is the neighbors" argument. We used to own property which bordered along the property of this lunitic. He's in his 80's and the old worn down barbed wire fence was put up by his grandpa, so he is sentimentaly attached to THAT fence. (he has no livestock by the way) Heaven help you if you touch his fence! I once saw another neighbor make that mistake when he thought it would be alright to remove and replace some of it. That crazy neighbor of ours put on quite a show for us, roaring around in his pickup, pacing on foot along his fence, screaming, swearing, threatening, it was really quiet entertaning.

When we had the property next to his, we just ran a hot wire a couple feet along side of his fence, and we got along just fine.

Go buy 5 lbs. of turnip seeds. Sneak into his yard at night and sow the seeds. It wont be long before he will have a yard full of turnips. He will be so busy trying to dig them up and trying to figure out how they got there that he will forget all about piling up ruhebarb leaves. Tell him he is welcome to get rid of them by throwing the turnips over the fence for your cattle. Your cattle get fat and he stays busy cause turnips will grow on a rock.

HOSS":7gu8l4nd said:
Go buy 5 lbs. of turnip seeds. Sneak into his yard at night and sow the seeds. It wont be long before he will have a yard full of turnips. He will be so busy trying to dig them up and trying to figure out how they got there that he will forget all about piling up ruhebarb leaves. Tell him he is welcome to get rid of them by throwing the turnips over the fence for your cattle. Your cattle get fat and he stays busy cause turnips will grow on a rock.

As Larry the Cable Guy would say

"I don't care who ya are thats funny right thar"

Latest posts