New born with problems------- Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCLiz 3

Reaction score
New born with problems Pics

Another beautiful day here in Tenn. While I sit in side deciphering SL's chicken scratch!
The man writes like a dang court reporter with his own codes.
This is the best I can do and I thought I would share it with you. But don't tell him.
Liz

more below!

New calf 2014 – 17 WH
Pics on file.

Calf was first found 8 AM Sun. Mother was with calf and calf was attempting to stand, but could not.
Calf believed to have been born in early AM, as it was cleaned ,no afterbirth was found and mother's posterior was clean.

Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 10:30 AM Responded to poss sick calf.
Calf was observed lying in the pasture, mother was no where to be seen.
Calf made no attempt to take flight when approached.
When irritated it did not call out, but did make an attempt to stand only to fall over.
All 4 legs appeared not to be able to hold its weight.
Calf seemed lethargic.
Legs showed no signs of contracted tendons or tendinitis or stiffness.
No signs of injury,
Eyes not dilated and clear.

Breed: Char B Anus cross - Heifer
All vitals were normal.
Weight 47 lbs
A _ I calf

Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 3 PM
Calf was found approx 20 ft from previous location and mother no where around.
Exam revealed condition had not changed.
No sign of dehydration.
Calf sucked finger, but reluctantly and with little force.
Managed to get ½ a qt of colostrum down it by bottle.

Advised I did not think the calf would make it.
Did not recommend dispatching it, as it did not appear to be in pain.
Calf was removed to barn where it will be raises as a bottle baby or expires.

Knowing the herd history, I suspected passive PEM.
SL

Well, just because he didn't bawl wouldn't concern me. Unless they are pretty spooked they don't usually bawl, and when we are handling them I prefer it that way. But waiting for 1 1/2 days before actually doing something about this calf.....well, you're not giving it much of a chance. If it hasn't been up and sucked within about 4-6 hours something should have been done about it if you wanted to keep it alive.

Had it been here, at 8 am Sunday, when I first saw that the calf was born, presumably dried off, but couldn't stand (I mean the cow had already cleaned, so that would mean a couple hours old at the very least). That would have raised a few red flags right there. It/they would have been brought into the corral where we would likely give it a shot of selenium and either get it up sucking the cow in the chute, or bottle feeding/tubing it colostrum.... If that didn't get it going we'd have started looking for other causes....

Makes sense to start with the simple, fixable causes before jumping to an assumed worst case scenario.....

But isn't that it's possible that SirLoin do not saw the mother cow nursed the calf or that the calf was able to walking around?

ibetyamissedme":2jirzbwj said:
Just to be safe I'd kill it, the thing clearly is suffering. Besides that it may want to meet you by a lake and kill you first.

Liz or SL ?
My vote is for Liz to take out SL, 2 for 1 deal ;-)

I'm pretty green, but judging by that calves hooves hes been up doing something because theres dried and caked mud on all of them. But I suppose that doesn't mean its traveled far. :mrgreen:

Yougottabeshittinme.....looks like a perfectly normal calf. Moved around, not dehydrated so getting hydration from somewhere. Leave him and mom together and alone.

If you all would have tolerated SL/NCLiz, he/she would not have gone over to the Show Cattle web site and started slinging his/her malarkey. He/she lasted about half a day before they started getting irritated with his/her spill. They are asking for him /her to be removed, so far they just threw all the post in to one, to keep from wasting all the space.

The same post, here was posted there, just as SL there, now it is here and NCliz is posting it?

Wait for the post on the sick kids in California I'm sure it is next.

VCC":2qcab8uw said:
If you all would have tolerated SL/NCLiz, he/she would not have gone over to the Show Cattle web site and started slinging his/her malarkey. He/she lasted about half a day before they started getting irritated with his/her spill. They are asking for him /her to be removed, so far they just threw all the post in to one, to keep from wasting all the space.

The same post, here was posted there, just as SL there, now it is here and NCliz is posting it?

Wait for the post on the sick kids in California I'm sure it is next.
It's already in the "Coffee Shop"

TexasBred":3atp6as1 said:
Yougottabeshittinme.....looks like a perfectly normal calf. Moved around, not dehydrated so getting hydration from somewhere. Leave him and mom together and alone.

Left front knee looks swollen in one pic. Could be the pic. Would be easier to judge with a pic of the legs were side by side for comparison.

Other than that, I don't see anything obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts