New born with problems------- Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds like my mother. She used to subscribe to Prevention magazine. Every month they would have a new disease/ailment. Invariably she would discover that she had it. The next issue she would have whatever the disease of the month was that time. I wouldn;t doubt that she didn;t have prostate problems at some time

Liz - tell Sirloin to stop being a nincompoop, PEM indeed. Tell him to call in Medicinewoman.

dun":52p8uel2 said:
This sounds like my mother. She used to subscribe to Prevention magazine. Every month they would have a new disease/ailment. Invariably she would discover that she had it. The next issue she would have whatever the disease of the month was that time. I wouldn;t doubt that she didn;t have prostate problems at some time
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Update:
Feb, 26, 2014 8 AM
Calf expired over night.

SSGenetics
Check your PM
Liz

I thank you'll for your input.
Much of what some of have said is true, if this was my herd or yours as a hobby farmer.
You are relating your views as if all cow/calf operation run the same, which they do not, and what is possible for you and me, is not always possible on other cow/calf operations.
This herd is more like a " range herd " vs my herd or yours.
When you have cattle in these numbers you can not afford to play midwife, nursemaid or run an infirmary. It is always best to let the cow raise her calf.

As for leaving the calf in the field.
It was suspected momma had abandoned her calf, as she had not been seen with the calf except for shortly after birth and the calf had not been taken and hidden.
The calf was left in the field in hopes momma would return.
When it became obvious she was not going to return, the calf was removed from the field for further study.

Had this calf not been born out front in plane view it would have died in a back pasture or in the woods somewhere and most likely no one would have never known it was even born.
Liz

FYI:

Re:
Can someone explain to me how sulfur toxicity and the new strain of Polo virus are related? I know exactly how virus works but I am not sure how sulfur toxicity in beef cattle caused Polo in california kids?
Polio in humans is a virus. (poliomyelitis )
PEM ( AKA polio ) ( /Polioencephalomalacia ) in cattle is not a virus, it is toxic poisoning.
PEM produces (poliomyelitis ) like symptoms.

PEM ( /Polioencephalomalacia ) is passive.
Meaning it can be passed through milk and meat to humans.
Just like it can be passed from a cow, to her calf in gestation and in her milk.

At one time, blind staggers or PEM observed in Wyoming was thought to be caused by selenium toxicity.  This theory has now been discounted and the condition is known to be caused by sulfur toxicity.
http://vetmed.iastate.edu/diagnostic-la ... -can-be-ca

I call BULL SHYT on this, Sir Loin.

"PEM ( /Polioencephalomalacia ) is passive.
Just like it can be passed from a cow, to her calf in gestation and in her milk."

Show some documentation for this claim... not just your outlandish suppositions.

This is not a 'personal attack', but rather a challenge of and request for some proof of this claim.

Lucky_P":mo1ht5wg said:
I call BULL SHYT on this, Sir Loin.

"PEM ( /Polioencephalomalacia ) is passive.
Just like it can be passed from a cow, to her calf in gestation and in her milk."

Show some documentation for this claim... not just your outlandish suppositions.

This is not a 'personal attack', but rather a challenge of and request for some proof of this claim.

As the kids say---------uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Lucky_P
At some point logic has to prevail.
Logic is, a cow passes on her vitamins, antibiotics and minerals to her calf.
Sulfur is a mineral.
There for, prior to birth the calf is on it's mothers blood and receives vitamins, antibiotics and minerals directly from her. That is passive.
After birth the calf receives vitamins, antibiotics and minerals in the cows milk.
That too is passive.

In the next few months I will be ending my 3 field test on passiveness and I will get back to you on the results/findings.
So for now, all we can do is wait for CDC to come out with their findings in Ca.

Liz

FYI;
Here is what they call it in the UK.
With pics.
Cerebrocortical necrosis (CCN) syn Polioencephalomalacia (PEM) Definition/overview
http://www.nadis.org.uk/bulletins/nervo ... attle.aspx

As has been typical, your reasoning is flawed, and without logic.
In monogastrics, sulfur is essentially inert. Baby calves are monogastrics, with no rumen function.
Even IF the dam were consuming enough excessive S - or excessive grain, both of which can precipitate polioencephalomalacia - and you've NOT demonstrated that the dam of this calf was affected - any S that MIGHT be passing to this calf will have no detrimental effect.

The 'polio-like' deal in CA children is a viral poliomyelitis, and has no connection whatsoever to polioenceophalomalacia in cattle, much less any association with what may or may not have been fed to the cattle that may or may not have produced beef that these affected children may or may not have consumed.
The associations that you're attempting to draw are no more plausible than saying that because cattle sometimes die of blackleg, that teenagers develop blackheads(comedones, plugged pores, zits) as a result of eating beef - and are at risk of dying.

Lucky_ P

Well, I sure hope you are correct. I would love nothing more then to be proven wrong.
The ball is in the CDC's court now and all I can do is sit back and wait and pray for our children.

Liz
PS: Did you miss this in my first post? "Knowing the herd history,"

Status
Not open for further replies.