NCAA Basketball

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":xqncrb8a said:
Bright Raven":xqncrb8a said:
TennesseeTuxedo":xqncrb8a said:
Bout like normal.

ACC with a healthy contingent in the sweet 16.

Go Duke!
Puke!

Go Vanderbilt!

Vanderbilt no longer plays D-1 basketball and you're not even a sports fan to begin with.

I must be getting old. I watched the Syracuse-MSU game and parts of the Texas A&M-UNC game. I always thought Roy Williams was a decent guy.

Bright Raven":2rd42bme said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2rd42bme said:
Bright Raven":2rd42bme said:
Puke!

Go Vanderbilt!

Vanderbilt no longer plays D-1 basketball and you're not even a sports fan to begin with.

I must be getting old. I watched the Syracuse-MSU game and parts of the Texas A&M-UNC game. I always thought Roy Williams was a decent guy.

Did he do something to make you change your opinion?

TennesseeTuxedo":3e6g22h5 said:
Bright Raven":3e6g22h5 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3e6g22h5 said:

He looked disconnected from the game. He fell asleep twice on the bench. It was real cute, once the assistant coach supported him while he slept so he wouldn't fall forward on the court.

Bright Raven":c5fhr6u8 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":c5fhr6u8 said:
Bright Raven":c5fhr6u8 said:

He looked disconnected from the game. He fell asleep twice on the bench. It was real cute, once the assistant coach supported him while he slept so he wouldn't fall forward on the court.

Well I can't hold that against him, I changed channels myself.

jltrent":1jp7hhld said:
Calipari can quiet complaining now about seeding, with no Arizona or Virginia to play. They make make it to the final 4.

Watching him on TV isn't very flattering for him. He seems like someone I wouldn't want to know.

Bestoutwest":372o8m47 said:
jltrent":372o8m47 said:
Calipari can quiet complaining now about seeding, with no Arizona or Virginia to play. They make make it to the final 4.

Watching him on TV isn't very flattering for him. He seems like someone I wouldn't want to know.

He sure gets a lot of players to the NBA!

D2Cat":2azswp5i said:
Bestoutwest":2azswp5i said:
jltrent":2azswp5i said:

They were on their way regardless of who coached them for one year. My favorite coach and team is just as guilty in this age of "one and done".

TennesseeTuxedo":3u2x3djk said:
D2Cat":3u2x3djk said:
Bestoutwest":3u2x3djk said:

They were on their way regardless of who coached them for one year. My favorite coach and team is just as guilty in this age of "one and done".
Yes thank you. How often does Cal say he's "doing this for the kids". It's all about the kids. WHAT? Without Cal they will fail?? C'mon, what a load of ....!! He's a used car salesman at best (or worst). I'm ok with him enjoying the process, going to the drafts and everything, but keep your mouth shut on your intentions, and what it's all about. You are running a business and marketing yourself, exposure is huge, and he's good at it.

If it's about the kids, how about some kids that REALLY need help or "coaching".

torogmc81":1ojh0ibc said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1ojh0ibc said:
D2Cat":1ojh0ibc said:

Yes thank you. How often does Cal say he's "doing this for the kids". It's all about the kids. WHAT? Without Cal they will fail?? C'mon, what a load of ....!! He's a used car salesman at best (or worst). I'm ok with him enjoying the process, going to the drafts and everything, but keep your mouth shut on your intentions, and what it's all about. You are running a business and marketing yourself, exposure is huge, and he's good at it.

If it's about the kids, how about some kids that REALLY need help or "coaching".

This year he'll make $7,450,000 to coach the UK basketball team, with it being closer to $8,000,000 with bonuses. It's never about the kids.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... all/coach/

Duke graduates 98% of their student athletes with basketball being lowest at around 67% because of kids going pro early. YOu don't make good grades there you seldom play.

Duke is a fine University but I doubt the 98% graduation rate cited.
National average is only 65% of students enrolled in a 4 yr program receive a degree by age 25.

Trivia:
Duke is 7th wealthiest private University in USA
1 out of 4.5 Duke students are of Asian descent, so the team does a very poor job as representing the student body.

The institution of College athletics is a cesspool. One coach is the same as the next. Whether it is Calipari or Saban. People love to hate them and perhaps it is even justified. They do what every college wants their coach to do - WIN and WIN BIG. It is not a personality or beauty contest. It is defined by three letters - WIN. PUKE's coach K is a bird of the same feather.

This is something interesting to think about: 56% of Ball State's athletic budget, in 2015, came from the student population. At 22,000~ students, the $13.4M coming from the students will equal $606/student toward the athletic department. Over 4 years, that's $2,424. Add interest and that's anywhere from $2,600-$3,600 you, or your child, will pay for other students to have the opportunity to play collegiate sports.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/c ... /30454791/

Son of Butch":282kk0my said:
Duke is a fine University but I doubt the 98% graduation rate cited.
National average is only 65% of students enrolled in a 4 yr program receive a degree by age 25.

Trivia:
Duke is 7th wealthiest private University in USA
1 out of 4.5 Duke students are of Asian descent, so the team does a very poor job as representing the student body.

I was unaware that the mission statement of a university's sports teams was to be representative of their student body.

Sounds like you are racial profiling.

Bright Raven":aj3oyn14 said:
The institution of College athletics is a cesspool. One coach is the same as the next. Whether it is Calipari or Saban. People love to hate them and perhaps it is even justified. They do what every college wants their coach to do - WIN and WIN BIG. It is not a personality or beauty contest. It is defined by three letters - WIN. PUKE's coach K is a bird of the same feather.

Except this bird has never ever had a hint of scandal associated with his program.

You're a thinker Ron. You know better.

TennesseeTuxedo":1bhnrhhr said:
Bright Raven":1bhnrhhr said:

Except this bird has never ever had a hint of scandal associated with his program.

It is still the same game. As Best said, they are not there for the kids or education. It is about winning - nothing less, nothing more.

Bright Raven":ns53sc4o said:
TennesseeTuxedo":ns53sc4o said:
Bright Raven":ns53sc4o said:

It is still the same game. As Best said, they are not there for the kids or education. It is about winning - nothing less, nothing more.

You sound silly. The purpose of sports is to compete and win. What other purpose should they be there for?

Teachers teach, coaches coach, administrators administrate and the janitor cleans up. Everyone has their role. Why is this hard to comprehend?

TennesseeTuxedo":37jk445s said:
Teachers teach, coaches coach, administrators administrate and the janitor cleans up. Everyone has their role. Why is this hard to comprehend?

Agree. No contest on the statements, the players or the coaches. The level of importance that society places on the role of sports in an environment of higher learning is out of balance. I think the coaches and players have become what the Universities and fans have made them. You know as well as I do that 80 percent of the athletes in basketball and football are not "student" athletes - they are minor league professional athletes.

Bright Raven":2cqtpuia said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2cqtpuia said:

Agree. No contest on the statements, the players or the coaches. The level of importance that society places on the role of sports in an environment of higher learning is out of balance. I think the coaches and players have become what the Universities and fans have made them. You know as well as I do that 80 percent of the athletes in basketball and football are not "student" athletes - they are minor league professional athletes.

And I also know that there are individuals who would have never seen the inside of a college classroom had it not been for their athletic talents and a few are wise enough to take advantage of their opportunities. Sadly most do not.

We don't all get to turn pro.

Latest posts