loading 1-2 ton bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":1cj3ysgx said:
You have to just start moving him towards the trailer. Get all four of yall and a couple of yalls kids. Two with 2x4s and two with hot shots.

If he starts going every one has to get on his azz and look like a wall. Hot shot him and keep pressure on his rear with that 2x4. Makes sure he knows yall are ALL back there. IF he tries to turn his head,, WHOP! His head should be faced foward the whole time.

Have one kid break off every time to close a gate. If he starts turning on you,, of coarse stand your ground. Jump at him,,, arms big. Every one has to be together on it.

We have pins that are a circle, with a lane along one end. One gate to get in the pin. When we want to load some thing that is how we do it. :lol:

Four adults and two kids in a pen with a known dangerous bull and everybody is swinging lumber or hot shots???? You are going to need a third kid outside the pen with a cell phone with the number to the Lifesaver helicopter on autodial.

Brandonm2":15pi9yuu said:
Brute 23":15pi9yuu said:
You have to just start moving him towards the trailer. Get all four of yall and a couple of yalls kids. Two with 2x4s and two with hot shots.

If he starts going every one has to get on his azz and look like a wall. Hot shot him and keep pressure on his rear with that 2x4. Makes sure he knows yall are ALL back there. IF he tries to turn his head,, WHOP! His head should be faced foward the whole time.

Have one kid break off every time to close a gate. If he starts turning on you,, of coarse stand your ground. Jump at him,,, arms big. Every one has to be together on it.

We have pins that are a circle, with a lane along one end. One gate to get in the pin. When we want to load some thing that is how we do it. :lol:

Four adults and two kids in a pen with a known dangerous bull and everybody is swinging lumber or hot shots???? You are going to need a third kid outside the pen with a cell phone with the number to the Lifesaver helicopter on autodial.

Go back to yalls bubble... We got 8yr olds that rope bulls like that and drag them in trailers horse back.

I started working cows when I was 5 yrs old. :roll:

If you can't take the heat don't go near the oven. :x

You haven't ever seen me on here saying I can't get an animal in the trailer so I must be doing some thing right.

All I can say is that I envy you the size of your pens if it actually takes six of you to walk ONE penned bull into a crowding pen so you can swing the sorting gate on him to make him go in to your chute.

Brandonm2":3sci29k7 said:
All I can say is that I envy you the size of your pens if it actually takes six of you to walk ONE penned bull into a crowding pen so you can swing the sorting gate on him to make him go in to your chute.

That is not what it takes us,, that is what I recomended to him. That is to drive the bull into the trailer.

If a bull or cow is that bad that we can not get them in a trailer,,, meaning they have charged us, our horse, and broke down the pens,,, we shoot'em,, no questions asked. I ain't got time... :lol:

Brandonm2":vgyfvqq7 said:
Brute 23":vgyfvqq7 said:

:roll: :shock: :lol:

backhoeboogie said:
There replies all get more interesting each time I read through. Do you folks not have the facilities to handle cattle?

I can't imagine even beginning to work them without the right equipment, chutes, pens etc. Some of these posts are beginning to sound like a carpenter without a hammer or saw.[/quote

Its not that we don't have the facilities, but animals aren't always perfect, and they get mean and unmanageable, and sometimes when one thing won't work, its possible to do it another way.

GMN

I was bait;;
I was the youngest, and most of your stock was easy to handle"cept a Brangus named "Sugar"Haa Haa Haa!!!!
They went to load him one day to rent him to a neighbour.
This sucker would chase anything,,, so an uncle, and two older brothers tied a ROPE AROUND MY LEG, and throad me in the trailer. After ohhh a SECOND here he come. They told me to "RUN RUN" Run where??? To the front of the trailer. In the mean time the tail gait was closed. As soon as I cleared the center gait, it was closed.. After I was rescude from the side door, I asked what is up with the rope????Well? Ugh?? you see???Ugh//Oh Yea well you see, bulls are afraid of rope, we put that on you to make shure that he would not attack you. Thank you I said, I love you guys so much..
HEY MAMA guess how much the guys love me..
Mama took me to a pitcher show, while the big boys got to stay a home and play with DAD, and UNCLE NED; Bet they had a blast !!!!!!!!!!

To think that every thing always works out perfect and is always easy show ignorance and lack of experience. To say,"That never happens to us" or "We never have those problems" is a dead give away. :lol: If I only had 10 cows they would probably sit, skake, and load up.

Any one has worked cows enough knows it does not work like that. You start with a plan,, but you have to go with the flow,, you have to be ready for ANYTHING,, but in the end you get the job done by what ever means necessary. If it means painting half you face purple, holding you left hand in the air, wearing one shoe, and talking in jibberish. IF you are closed minded you are going to have a hard time.

I have said before. More than once we have had to get them to literally charge us and then we run in the shoot with them coming behind and either bailed out the shoot or climbed out the trailer. It worked.

Brute 23":1gmh82pe said:
To think that every thing always works out perfect and is always easy show ignorance and lack of experience.

I have said before. More than once we have had to get them to literally charge us and then we run in the shoot with them coming behind and either bailed out the shoot or climbed out the trailer. It worked.

You missed your calling. You should have been a rodeo clown. One day you will get old and discover all that stuff is hard on your body.

With all that vast experience you have I figured you'd know the difference between chute and shoot.

Pipe is cheap. You can build a 20 foot cut gate for under $50 to squeeze them into the chute if you know how to weld. One person can do it all. Do you go through all that running a jumping when you worm them and vaccinate them too? You call that experience? I have another name for it.

Where is CB? He'd have a field day with this one.

backhoeboogie":3cjpq60l said:
Brute 23":3cjpq60l said:
To think that every thing always works out perfect and is always easy show ignorance and lack of experience.

You missed your calling. You should have been a rodeo clown. One day you will get old and discover all that stuff is hard on your body.

With all that vast experience you have I figured you'd know the difference between chute and shoot.

Pipe is cheap. You can build a 20 foot cut gate for under $50 to squeeze them into the chute if you know how to weld. One person can do it all. Do you go through all that running a jumping when you worm them and vaccinate them too? You call that experience? I have another name for it.

Pipe is cheap? Really where? Metal is pretty expensive.

Ever seen a cow jump out of 6' pipe pins, ever seen a bull break welds, ever seen cattle kill them selves from running into pipe so hard, ever seen horses chunked out of cattle pins, I could go on and on. What would you experts do then? Get back in your bubble?

Think what you want. Have you seen how cattle act when they see people for the first, second, third time?

I like to debate,, but be logical. Do you think we had them chase us into a trailer and then we kept them? :lol:

Man, from the way some of you guys talked I thought yall were pretty sharp. Seems like the more yall talk the more I see yall have read alot of books. :roll:

I know the difference between shoot and chute. Thank you. You must spend alot of time reading and typing to always be so perfect with your english. Not surprising. ;-)

I am just amazed every time some one posts on here. I have been letting some of my buddys read this stuff and they are cracking up. The old men just shake their heads.

Now I don't like being like this but yall are asking for it. To sit back and critisize this mans abibilities and facilities because he is having trouble with one bull is BOLD, VERY BOLD. Be a little more openen minded here. No one has seen it all or expereiced it all.

Brute 23":1khvg0rl said:
backhoeboogie":1khvg0rl said:
Brute 23":1khvg0rl said:

Ever seen a cow jump out of 6' pipe pins, ever seen a bull break welds, ever seen cattle kill them selves from running into pipe so hard, ever seen horses chunked out of cattle pins, I could go on and on. What would you experts do then? Get back in your bubble?

Think what you want. Have you seen how cattle act when they see people for the first, second, third time?

I like to debate,, but be logical. Do you think we had them chase us into a trailer and then we kept them? :lol:

Man, from the way some of you guys talked I thought yall were pretty sharp. Seems like the more yall talk the more I see yall have read alot of books. :roll:

I know the difference between shoot and chute. Thank you. You must spend alot of time reading and typing to always be so perfect with your english. Not surprising. ;-)

I am just amazed every time some one posts on here. I have been letting some of my buddys read this stuff and they are cracking up. The old men just shake their heads.

Now I don't like being like this but yall are asking for it. To sit back and critisize this mans abibilities and facilities because he is having trouble with one bull is BOLD, VERY BOLD. Be a little more openen minded here. No one has seen it all or expereiced it all.

This summer when we were working some cattle, I was getting three cows into the alley to go towards the head catch. A 1300 pd. cow decided to jump the 6 ft. fence and by gosh she made it. Do you think I tried to stop her?

Brute 23":3tlbywog said:

So you are too lazy to check on your cows more than twice a year, then are too cheap to build a pipe gate, but are willing to risk a kid getting hurt just to load a bull?

I would like thank you for all your responses. We had one hell of a day. I think he knew something was a coming when we all came at him cussing and spitting. 1st the dumbbunney rushed Chris and stepped on his leg before he had a chance to throw the rope over his head. I decided I had enough and went got the 30-6. I called the local locker and someone come got him. Thats over and I'm beat. Good night.

I'm sure you are glad the ordeal is over and I bet somebody is lucky you didn't pass this problem over to them thru the salebarn. Dangerous bulls don't need to be anywhere but in a meat locker. Hope Chris wasn't hurt too bad. Friend of mine spent three weeks in hospital due to something similar. Price of bull is insignificant when compared to a hospital bill.

Brute 23":itzwu57z said:

An old timer just gave me 1800 feet of 3 inch pipe. He said he wanted me to have it. All I have to do is go get it. That would make some nice permanent corrals.

Built some post hole diggers out of 4 inch pipe and a T-post driver for another neighbor. Both better than anything you can buy. Those blades don't bend when you hit rock. They said they had piles of junk iron on the place and I could come get any and all of it. It doesn't come any cheaper than that. The like the diggers so well they want me to build 6 sets of blades complete with hinges - everything but handles. They are going to send them as Christmas gifts.

Bed frame angle iron is good stuff and you can pick it up really cheap. Bought nine old frames from a garbage sale for $11. The iron would have been almost $80 from the metal supply and not nearly as good of a material grade.

You can make elevated hay cradles out of old trampoline frames.

Welding rods and grinding discs are indeed store bought. Most tube steel I use is too.

Today I am building a new log splitter. I'll have to buy hydraulic hoses and paint from the store. Going to use the tractor for the pressure source. The used cylinder cost me $16 and its a bit big but that's okay. Traded the last one for a 15 month old heifer and I need another one.

backhoeboogie":19shy13h said:
Bed frame angle iron is good stuff and you can pick it up really cheap. Bought nine old frames from a garbage sale for $11. The iron would have been almost $80 from the metal supply and not nearly as good of a material grade.

Dang Hoe! Don't give away all our secrets on getting cheap steel. I have made a lot of stuff from bed frames including portable hog traps. :lol:

Brandonm2":3nnsiob8 said:
angie":3nnsiob8 said:
Actually, we have our animals shot and quartered on farm, loaded (in quarters) with loader into back of truck and hauled to the locker. We could load ~ just prefer to do it this way. Guy comes to our farm ~ he has a good local business doing this.

And he does this with 2000+++ lb bull culls??? Who buys a quarter of a past market age breeding bull???
In the wind up of it they used her method and it worked.

More power to them for it; though I don't know anybody whom I would sell a quarter from a breeding bull too and my own freezer is usually full with deer, chickens, the steers/pigs we raised (until recently), and bargain meat from the grocery store. A 1000 lbs of burger meat wouldn't do a lot for me; but apparently some people eat Hamburgher Helper more than I do. Maybe it is just me; but I would never accept defeat. I could not sleep at night if I admitted that the bull beat me. I would have gotten him on that trailer if it took six months. My Grandfather had one steer that took him 3 years to get once (he was leasing a lot of marshland then); but in the end he got him to the sale barn.

when we grind an old animal we just donate it to the abused womens & kids shelter. They can alwasy use meat!

Latest posts