2 year old bull nursing..

Help Support CattleToday:

chaded

Reaction score
I never could tell for sure but I had some suspicion that my bull was nursing my cows but this morning it was definitely confirmed. I went down to check on things and I saw him chasing one around with his head under her. When she would stop he would nurse and he had the milk pouring and wouldn't stop. I wish she would of kicked his head off. He got to see my inner Nolan Ryan skills come out and we will just leave it at that.

He's definitely leaving here soon which of course screws up my plans and I will have to get another bull. Such is life I guess. Here's a dumb question perhaps, is this behavior hereditary? One of his bull calves and a heifer calf will go around nursing whoever will let them and it made me wonder.

Nothing makes me mad more than seeing that. Not even a fence crawler. I don't know if it's heritable, but it probably is as much as any particular behavior. I never kept any progeny.

Yeah I was ticked off! My neighbor probably thought I lost my mind and I can't say he was wrong.

Usually it's a yearling heifer that starts it. I don't put my bred heifers with cows until after cows wean calves. A bull makes you extra mad.

It's starting to get late to find a replacement for the summer. Just put a Crown weaning ring in his nose and cash him in after his work is done.

Ohh…not good. We were driving by a pasture last summer and big ol'Char bull was nursing on a cow and I was "shocked" But not two minutes later, just down the road and around the corner saw another bull doing the same. It sure got me worried…what if this happens at home, how common is this? So far no suspects here but honestly a bad nightmare and would not be pleased. A one way ticket for sure…lol must have been a fluke to see not one but two minutes apart…but sure got me thinking…😧

Since you're a Red Angus man. May be a bit far from you, but I've bought a Black Angus from him before. He'll tell you the good and the bad, fine young man as far as I can tell.

I have some of those yellow quiet wean flaps but I've never used them. Not sure if one of those would work or not as far as size goes?

Latest posts