loading 1-2 ton bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Been real interesting reading this thread....
guess that I'm just to darn old and broken to keep bad animals on the place. Our bull is broke to lead and gets worked every week or so, but then he is a real mellow little guy and I have the time to play with my pet cows.
Did have a cow that was on a lease that wouldn't load even using the portable panels....just put a bale of alfalfa in the trailer and waited....she got curious and greedy, being the last cow left in the pasture...didn't even notice that I had walked back and closed the trailer gate. Suppose that I have alot more time on my hands than other folks and can afford to play the waiting game.
Just my two bits worth....asked for or not Dmc

KMacGinley":evyt5cug said:
What is amazing, is how someone that was asking such newbie questions in may, is now a bona-fide bull loading expert. :D

I have been running my own operation for only few years but I have had MANY jobs as a day hand. When some one calls you go. You don't know what their facilities are like or how often their cattle get worked. You show up,, get the job done,, and leave the crying for the women,, and e-net I guess.

Buy that cheap pipe,, see how long it lasts. You are getting the stuff we (oil companies) don't want. We keep the good stuff for our selves. :lol:

Susie David":1bz8u6wf said:
Been real interesting reading this thread....
guess that I'm just to darn old and broken to keep bad animals on the place. Our bull is broke to lead and gets worked every week or so, but then he is a real mellow little guy and I have the time to play with my pet cows.
Did have a cow that was on a lease that wouldn't load even using the portable panels....just put a bale of alfalfa in the trailer and waited....she got curious and greedy, being the last cow left in the pasture...didn't even notice that I had walked back and closed the trailer gate. Suppose that I have alot more time on my hands than other folks and can afford to play the waiting game.
Just my two bits worth....asked for or not Dmc

David
I am not old and I dont have time to waste.
BUT its easier to take your time, even with a rank one.
I have been the bait one to many times....
I would rather a bucket of grain be the bait. :shock:

bmribailey":3qkl663v said:
I have a 1-2 ton bull that needs trailored. He just is not going to do it. We have tried everything without getting killed. I have heard there might be a patch that is placed in the trailor that tells him a cow in heat is in the trailor. Would anyone have any ideas. thank you.

Translate this from horse to Bull and see what happens. I don't know why it wouldn't work - the horse was 1500 lbs and wide as a barn. I tried everything. Even borrowed a trailer and left it in the field and fed her in the trailer for 2 weeks. She'd pop right up there to eat, but was not going to get in when you wanted her to.
Vet said swat her with a broom - always works. Didn't think it would and it surely didn't phase her. You tried to put her in and she would rear up and flip over. Went to vet again and got a tranquilizer. She sat down on her hauches like a dog and no one could get her up.

We had no facilities - from the pasture to the trailer. Finally got good strong ropes that will NOT break. Ran them through one side of the trailer behind her butt and through the other side of the trailer. Had a rope on her head. If I could keep her head down she wouldn't rear and flip. It needs to be their idea to go in. We would pull the rope on her butt tight as possible and shove her forward a step and wait. Do it again another step and wait. And again. It took forever the first time but she finally decided forward was the only place to go. Slam the back shut Quick. Good girl. It got easier and quicker over the years but she was never good at loading.
My girlfriend and I could do it as well as anyone - she is 5'3" and I'm 5'1". You need lots of patience, good gloves to keep you hands from ripping to pieces and strong rope and keep your sense of humour. 4 brothers ought to be able to do it. The rule was she could stand in place or go forward, but never ever give her ground to go backwards not even an 1/8 of an inch.

The other quicker solution was a man I knew who had a good dog. Tell Hombre to put em up in the trailer. After the 1st time she went in the trailer before he even got there to get a hold of her heels. I faked her out a time or two by hollering for someone to get Hombre and she would jump in and he wasn't even there. LOL. She got wise to the "imaginary dog" pretty fast. She was too smart !

bmribailey":2zv13bez said:
I would like thank you for all your responses. We had one be nice of a day. I think he knew something was a coming when we all came at him cussing and spitting. 1st the dumbbunney rushed Chris and stepped on his leg before he had a chance to throw the rope over his head. I decided I had enough and went got the 30-6. I called the local locker and someone come got him. Thats over and I'm beat. Good night.

Glad to see you found a resolution to your dilemma. Sometimes that is the only answer in some situations. Glad all of you have your limbs still attached, and are able to conquer the next bull you have to load.

Latest posts