Bull selection!

Help Support CattleToday:

Asking $5800
A few years ago skinny leg Angus were bringing that here. Some with names attached, some not so much. The biggest name had a minimum bid of 4k and I don't think the sale topper (~20k) looked as nice. I was going to sales with a friend who was looking for a bull so maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. About that same time I watched people pay 3k for commercial bred heifers (those will never pay using my pencil). That sure seems like a good price considering calves are double what they were then.

@SDM I never keep bulls to breeding age. All my bulls are sold as calves. Like this one, my bulls are "pre-ordered". I have a guy that has had "pick" of my bull calves for the past 4 or 5 years. This guy was his pick - but he told us if we can sell him for what he's worth, he'll just grab another one next year. Normally, all my bulls and steers are gone in October. We decided to go to Louisville - NAILE Show this year.

I guess he is a bit younger than the ones I referenced- (probably 18-24mo), but in my mind the quality makes up for feeding him a little while before using him. There's a lot of what I call "black holsteins" around here.

He is just a weaned bull calf - not ready to go out and breed (although he weighed 1298# at KY show after 9 hour trip). We ended up taking $5500 to offset their trucking costs to Florida. Good deal for us and good for them.
I got $1950 for all the other bull calves - which was LESS than I sold our weaned/preconditioned steers. So, will have to re-evaluate our bull prices for next year. Already have orders for 3 (or 4). Guess I will price "so much over steer market price" ?? with a minimum in case the market goes back to $1.45/# - LOL

He is just a weaned bull calf - not ready to go out and breed (although he weighed 1298# at KY show after 9 hour trip). We ended up taking $5500 to offset their trucking costs to Florida. Good deal for us and good for them.
I got $1950 for all the other bull calves - which was LESS than I sold our weaned/preconditioned steers. So, will have to re-evaluate our bull prices for next year. Already have orders for 3 (or 4). Guess I will price "so much over steer market price" ?? with a minimum in case the market goes back to $1.45/# - LOL
I admire people that stick to their word... but going forward I'd put some kind of stipulation of prices being consistent with the market.

Your bulls are undervalued by a significant amount and I would never hold you to your word if they are bringing you less than your steers. In fact I would value your relationship enough that I would insist on some kind of price adjustment.

The show bull? More a value of perception rather than actual as all show winners are... but still more valuable than what you sold him for, IMO. It would have been interesting if there was an auction associated with the show and you could have put him in to see what he would have brought in a competitive situation.