Bull selection!

Help Support CattleToday:

by do over I meant if I could go back(and I can't) I'd have bought a homo black. We just assumed the sim angus bull would be because the cow was black and the bull was black he was out of. I like him a lot but would prefer to have a better chance at all black babies since about half of the cows are colored. We are retaining a few of the better heifers out of the better cows and this year we will likely be swapping out bulls. He does make a nice calf, this one of the red ones and is out of an old longhorn cross cow that is kind of brown and has a white face and always has great babies
When you swap out this year, could you get an angus or PP BB Simm bull then?

If you put a wild-color Braunvieh bull in there, almost every one of those red cows - and some of the blacks - will give you brindles.
I love a mealy-mouthed brindle cow, but my brindle & 'wild-color' Braunvieh-cross steers never brought what they were truly worth.
It's funny but there are actually quite a few Braunvieh bulls running around in Falfurrias. There use to be a lot of dairies around there and I guess some people still use them. They do good, health wise, down there. I'm not sure about price.

10 months old and weighed 1275# this morning.
This is the one you are showing in Louisville for the guy that bought him from you? And he told you to sell him? This bull would be ideal for the 3 or 4 people on here, with threads this week about needing a BB black bull. Between this one, the one you posted you used as a clean-up this year, and the 2 that Simm sold to Kenny and Clinch, I have really evaluated my 50+ yr old feelings about Simm bulls. Always liked Simm cows, but those few years I spent helping people pull calves, and often cut out calves, from those 800lb ln Angus and Herefords everyone had around here back then, put a bad taste in my mouth for Simm, and Charolais, bulls. If we sill had them, I think I would be open to using a PP BB Simm on our Corrientes next year. Some of those guys needing bulls...the ones from south east Texas and Florida, and I think there is one from LA , have expressed concerns about heat. and have gotten some bad advice from folks concerning that. But since I was a boy, Angus have outnumbered all other breeds combined here and elsewhere in the South. I'd be willing to bet that if any of those guys bought this young bull (or one like him) about now, the bull would be fully acclimated and do just fine down here next summer.

Yes, I was asked about him aclimating to the heat. He was slick haired all summer. Dam and Grandam also slick. I have sold many cattle into Texas and other Southern states with never a problem. Maybe because I have used AI forever.
Growing up, 70-75% of the cattle around here were Angus. 70-75% today are still black cattle, but a LOT of them , if not Brangus, are Simm and SimmAngus.