Bull selection!

Help Support CattleToday:

Hello everyone just wondering what type of bull would y'all put on eared cows? We plan on selling steers and keeping heifers.
What breed of bull do y'all think would be the best for these cows?
View attachment 36594

We are located in Liberty County Texas close to Dayton TX!!
1) Brangus. 2) Homo for black and polled Simm. 3) Angus.

Edited to add: There are also homozygous for black and polled Beef Master and homozygous for black and polled Simbrah.

Last edited:
Hello everyone just wondering what type of bull would y'all put on eared cows? We plan on selling steers and keeping heifers.
View attachment 36594

Anything homozygous black. I like black Limousin. The best animals I had were Brahmousin at my southern ranch.

Every breed has their advantages and disadvantages. Those cows will fix a lot of the problems a European bull can bring with him. Not that you can't find a great European bull.

If it wasn't for the color barrier I wouldn't be opposed to a Hereford.

Black Angus likely will bring the most on both ends and bring the most uniformity to the group.

Hereford will make some beautiful females but you will lose a little on the steers. But the females... 😍

A Red Angus would also be a great option if you could find one. It would really minimize the white which will bring your steer prices up. It would also produce some great red females.

Avoid a composite bull (Beefmaster, Brangus, Braford, etc) at all costs. You have more than enough ear already and will only magnify that and cost you money on both ends.

No "Black Herford"... "Black Beefmaster" etc. A crossbred bull will not help that group.

I would run a Char before a composite and I hate Char bulls. 😄

... nice cows!

Black Angus likely will bring the most on both ends and bring the most uniformity to the group.

Hereford will make some beautiful females but you will lose a little on the steers. But the females... 😍

A Red Angus would also be a great option if you could find one. It would really minimize the white which will bring your steer prices up. It would also produce some great red females.

Avoid a composite bull (Beefmaster, Brangus, Braford, etc) at all costs. You have more than enough ear already and will only magnify that and cost you money on both ends.

No "Black Herford"... "Black Beefmaster" etc. A crossbred bull will not help that group.

I would run a Char before a composite and I hate Char bulls. 😄

... nice cows!
Especially that brindle. It's my favorite color in dogs and cows, and I don't own a one in either!

View attachment 36594

we have a bunch of similar cows and run a sim-angus bull with them, he has brought more uniformity to the calves, he is not homozzygous so will occasionally produce a red (although usually white faced calf, luckily they have been heifers) but he has taked a lot of ear away and brought a good deep heavy body. He was almost a gift from a friend and has worked out well however if I had a do-over I think I would have dons homo black angus or simm and since I already had plenty of ear, nothing with any ear on them

we have a bunch of similar cows and run a sim-angus bull with them, he has brought more uniformity to the calves, he is not homozzygous so will occasionally produce a red (although usually white faced calf, luckily they have been heifers) but he has taked a lot of ear away and brought a good deep heavy body. He was almost a gift from a friend and has worked out well however if I had a do-over I think I would have dons homo black angus or simm and since I already had plenty of ear, nothing with any ear on them
Just curious, but why would you need a "do-over"? What is keeping you from selling the bull, and getting an Angus or homo for black Simm? Are you retaining some heifers, or is yours an all terminal operation?

We definitely have looked into that. The more I look at the Simmental breed the more I like it. I don't see many down south though. 🤔
The down side is finding one that will hold up on the gulf coast. Most of the ones I find are heavy in the show side and not so much as range cattle or they are the old school, big, painted up plow horses, which I have no interest in.

The only reason I have luck with Herefords is they like them out in WTX. They acclimate from there to here pretty well.

I wish some one would send me a yearling Sim bull and let me acclimate him for a test run, at my expense, of course. 😄

Just curious, but why would you need a "do-over"? What is keeping you from selling the bull, and getting an Angus or homo for black Simm? Are you retaining some heifers, or is yours an all terminal operation?
by do over I meant if I could go back(and I can't) I'd have bought a homo black. We just assumed the sim angus bull would be because the cow was black and the bull was black he was out of. I like him a lot but would prefer to have a better chance at all black babies since about half of the cows are colored. We are retaining a few of the better heifers out of the better cows and this year we will likely be swapping out bulls. He does make a nice calf, this one of the red ones and is out of an old longhorn cross cow that is kind of brown and has a white face and always has great babies

Attachments

• 2023 red and white calf 2.jpg
    2023 red and white calf 2.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 12
Well, my "little" bull will be down in Louisville! Guy that bought him, said if we can sell him for what he's worth, sell him. Not DNA tested, but PP BB by pedigree.
Buyer has had PICK for past 6 or 7 years. Knows he is worth lot more than he committed.

The down side is finding one that will hold up on the gulf coast. Most of the ones I find are heavy in the show side and not so much as range cattle or they are the old school, big, painted up plow horses, which I have no interest in.

The only reason I have luck with Herefords is they like them out in WTX. They acclimate from there to here pretty well.

I wish some one would send me a yearling Sim bull and let me acclimate him for a test run, at my expense, of course. 😄

The ASA has a Simmental heart tolerant program (correct me if I'm wrong @Jeanne - Simme Valley). I'm not sure the details on it.

If you put a wild-color Braunvieh bull in there, almost every one of those red cows - and some of the blacks - will give you brindles.
I love a mealy-mouthed brindle cow, but my brindle & 'wild-color' Braunvieh-cross steers never brought what they were truly worth.