Bull Critique

Help Support CattleToday:

LB2727

Reaction score
Looking for some thoughts on this bull. Strengths and weaknesses. He is almost 14 months old and will be going out with the herd in about another month. This is the first time using a young one so hoping it goes well. A little worried about the amount of cows he needs to cover.

Attachments

• 20230505_120016.jpg
    20230505_120016.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 66
Looking for some thoughts on this bull. Strengths and weaknesses. He is almost 14 months old and will be going out with the herd in about another month. This is the first time using a young one so hoping it goes well. A little worried about the amount of cows he needs to cover.
How many cows in the herd, and will he be the only bull?:

I am guessing a Charolais x Angus? Not a bad yearling considering how lightly he has been developed.
Semen tested? He shouldn't have problems with 20 cows in a pasture situation. I dislike single sire situations, one doesn't realize there might be a problem until a couple of cycles have gone by.

For any familiar with aAa dairy analysis R - S system from the '50s and '60s - I'd say he's R-R-R

Front feet standing in a bit of a hole, but I'd say foreleg appears a tad short, feet look good as they appear short, well rounded, even, uniform with level sole and good heel depth. Deep chest with enough room for good heart and lung function. Rear legs
a tad too straight, but functional. Long neck with flat hocks are dairy traits, he has neither, so that is a good thing in a beef bull (unless you're seeking milk production) I expect his calves to be breed average to slightly below in stature as yearlings, with more width than average and to finish well. Bottom line: I like him enough to use him.

Rule of thumb: 1 cow per month of age for first two years. ie Bull 15 months old = 15 cows covered per cycle

Last edited:
oooh! Looks like a Park / British White with the black nose and black ears. White body and not loaded with black patches like some; you can still detect the black in him. Nice. His back legs seem very straight or "posty." I've heard a little curve in the rear leg is better for jumping cows, but I think he will get the job done. As mentioned, a BSE exam would be a plus.

Here's a question for you... Will his progeny (offspring) be cleanly marked with black points and a white body?

Kind of a high tail set, and a little light in the rear... but meaty butts are not the current fashion it seems. Nice proportions otherwise, good feet, and meaty enough.

I'll go against some of the other comments a little. It's always nice to have a back-up bull, but I've used young bulls on up to forty cows with good results. Not often, but enough to do it if things don't work out for a better option. As long as your cows are fertile and the bull is doing his job he will only be working hard for one cycle.

I agree with everything @gcreekrch said.
A bull that age should be able to settle 15-20 head.
Semen check would be of utmost importance, and we always like to have a back up bull too.

Latest posts