Overly Extroverted Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I do the same thing with lease places as far as picking what cattle go there. One, I want to stay on good terms with the owner. Two, a lot of times I can not invest the money in pens, fences, etc like owned property so I need cattle that can work with in those restraints.

As one example, I don't take straight Brahmans to leases because of the issues that come along with them.

That's pretty normal though. Most people cater certain cattle to certain properties no matter if they are owned or leased.

It sounds like fun to tame cattle and treat them like pets, but if they're too used to you
...it is pretty dumb. A bull that is not scared of you can injure you fairly easily if he sees you as stopping him from doing something he wants to do. It could be as simple as holding a gate he wants to go through to get in with the cows, or just being in his paddock if he has cows in it. Hand raised entire males are normally the worst.

Best leave him alone.

Hasn't killed anyone yet.

He may have to leave anyway, because Florida insurers will not insure homes with cattle any more. That includes insurers with "Farm" in the name. I tried them all.

No idea what to put here next.

Hasn't killed anyone yet.

He may have to leave anyway, because Florida insurers will not insure homes with cattle any more. That includes insurers with "Farm" in the name. I tried them all.

No idea what to put here next.

I dont have any trouble getting insurance thru Florida Farm Bureau. My agent is easy to work with and we have multiple policies with the cattle, due to our farm being and LLC and a partnership deal.

Thank you @jscunn for coming on and responding. I think this @Moooooo person has not done the dilligence to find a farm insurer.... and was looking for an easy out to get the renters bull off the farm.... Either that or they have totally ticked off the agents they have tried to work with. I knew that there had to be farm insurers that dealt with cattle even though horses are probably more profitable for the ins agents.

Now he might have trouble finding someone to write the policy on his house due to age of house or roof, but that is a Florida/Hurricane issue, not a cattle related one. No need to purchase 25 or 30 yr shingles in florida because have to replace your roof every 20 years or less if you want insurance in the state. I am kidding of course I put 25 yr shingles on my house in 2023, nothing wrong with the 2003 original roof except I could not find an insurance company to write me a policy.

Hurricane season is now a myth. They happen all year long...
No new insurance when they may have to pay out.

We have about 200 acres leased that joins my place where I live, the land owner wants cattle off during deer season and the a hole don't want us over there when they are up "privacy " my son made this deal, I told my son to tell him to stick it but he wants to keep it, people that inherit what they own are usually not the best people to deal with I have a lot of sweat and blood in what I own because I worked to pay for it.
My son asks me if he could take the neighbor hunting on my other properties because hunting isn't that great where I live, it's ok but my other properties are better,I told him no problem until I read the contract, I told him to keep his @$$ off all of my properties.
I was going to let my son take him and his son to all my places during deer season.
Hunting rights are a lot more expensive than grazing rights in Texas.

Over the holidays, we had my daughter and her future husband over. The cows were in a pasture right next to the house and I was going to give them some cubes. With them being that close to the house, it was pretty convenient. I was going to give them 2 bags and asked the future son-in-law if he wanted to walk out there with me and pour out some cubes for the cows. He was eager to do so. When we went through the gate, I noticed the cows were pretty stand-offish. When I feed them like that, they crowd around and can't wait for me to pull the string on the feed bag. I never try to pet them and they probably wouldn't let me if I wanted to but with a stranger in the pasture, they were a unusually hesitant. They came straight to the feed I poured out but wouldn't come near his until we went back through the gate. Maybe because they were half-wild when I started taking care of them and spent about 3 or 4 years getting them re-domesticated, they have become comfortable with me...not pets by any stretch of the imagination but just familiar with me and how I interact with them. I agree with most who advise against interacting with unfamiliar animals. Enjoy watching the cows but keep interactions with them to a bare minimum. They, too, are creatures of habit and are probably accustomed to the way the owner interacts with them. A stranger introduces uncertainty and unfamiliarity and may throw them off of whatever routine(s) they follow which may result in unpredictable behavior on their part.

As for the discussions on leases and such, the stuff discussed in this thread are some of the very reasons I won't lease my land to anyone or try to lease someone else's land for my own use. Like unfamiliar animals, there are too many things that can go wrong. I know a good many people who do both and it seems to work for them...it's just not my cup of tea.

Stranger - danger! Just the sound of a stranger's voice can throw the cattle off. We play a radio very loud in our barn, because if we have our show string in the barn and a stranger entered, they were really scared. Strange VOICES throw them off. So, now, different voices are so scarry. But, they are still leery of strangers.

Stranger - danger! Just the sound of a stranger's voice can throw the cattle off. We play a radio very loud in our barn, because if we have our show string in the barn and a stranger entered, they were really scared. Strange VOICES throw them off. So, now, different voices are so scarry. But, they are still leery of strangers.
Always wondered how people who show steers got them acclimated to the "show environment"...unfamiliar sights, sounds, and scents. If I took one of mine into those surroundings, there's absolutely no telling how they might react...stand there like a bump on a log or take off for parts unknown...lol

One of my dairymen that showed also played a radio in the barn with lots of different "voices"... think it was a talk show part of the time... to get them used to different sounds, voices so they do not panic when they are in a new place and then all sorts of all different voices. And they do have several different people that go up around the calves with voices and such... do not limit the noise or loudness of people out around them so they get somewhat used to the different sounds.
Most of mine get very skittish if there is even extra people around when we go to get them into the catch pens... "what are those people going to do to me" ???? but then they are pretty much okay with some amount of noise....once caught up...

Here is why I hate cattle with no flight zone. Cow stepped on my foot while feeding a couple days ago and literally had me pinned down. I tried to holler at her but it didn't even phase here. I ended up swing the tub around and hitting her so she would get off my foot. Luckily I wear steel toe boots most the time. You can see the marks on my boot where she was standing.

20240120_141742.jpg

Always wondered how people who show steers got them acclimated to the "show environment"...unfamiliar sights, sounds, and scents. If I took one of mine into those surroundings, there's absolutely no telling how they might react...stand there like a bump on a log or take off for parts unknown...lol
I don't show steers! Steer shows are a whole different ball game (clubbie shows). Talk about working the hair, special feed formulas, special shampoos, etc., etc.
I prefer "show and blow". But, obviously, at the bigger shows, we do fit them up - but very light. Some of those show steers have more glue in their hair than I've bought in a year.
Just teasing you - but, yes, there can be a big difference in steer shows and breeding shows. Although, there are a lot of the bigger shows that people get carried away on all the cattle. We show as natural as possible.

I don't show steers! Steer shows are a whole different ball game (clubbie shows). Talk about working the hair, special feed formulas, special shampoos, etc., etc.
I prefer "show and blow". But, obviously, at the bigger shows, we do fit them up - but very light. Some of those show steers have more glue in their hair than I've bought in a year.
Just teasing you - but, yes, there can be a big difference in steer shows and breeding shows. Although, there are a lot of the bigger shows that people get carried away on all the cattle. We show as natural as possible.
Not halter broken?