Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Fatdogman1

Reaction score
Recently our Angus bull seems to have no interest in the cattle herd he's been on for over 4 years. He's been off by himself for several weeks. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

44 cows. I think I need 2 bulls
That's a lot for an old bull but only slightly for a young one. I've had good success with 18/24 month old bulls on forty cows. It's only a lot of work for the first heat cycle. Of course if the bull isn't doing the job it's a problem but you should know in one estrus.

I think @bird dog probably nailed it but absolutely what @kenny thomas said.

Does he have any signs of sickness? Limping, drooling, losing condition, not grazing/eating cubes (whatever you feed), etc. Did he pass his most recent BSE (assuming he had one)? It could be a number of things. Time for your vet. Or the sale barn.

He might have been demoted to being the 2nd and the other bull took over the position of herd boss. I've found many older bulls who get kicked off the main position withdraw and go off by themselves.
That could be one, but if he is sick or injured he would do the same.
If it were my place I would ship the older one bye bye and get a yearling as replacement. Prices are good right now, here at least, you might get just about enough money for the old one to buy a yearling, depending on your 'wants' in a new bull.
Agree with others, you definitely need 2 bulls for that amount of cows.
Have a good one.

He might have been demoted to being the 2nd and the other bull took over the position of herd boss. I've found many older bulls who get kicked off the main position withdraw and go off by themselves.
That could be one, but if he is sick or injured he would do the same.
If it were my place I would ship the older one bye bye and get a yearling as replacement. Prices are good right now, here at least, you might get just about enough money for the old one to buy a yearling, depending on your 'wants' in a new bull.
Agree with others, you definitely need 2 bulls for that amount of cows.
Have a good one.
Thanks for your response.

The smart ones will often go off by themselves once they have the job done. They don't like hangin around listening to woman talk if there is no prospect of a bit of action.

Ken
We had a Hereford bull like this back in the eighties, very seldom would we find him with the cows, always by himself, he was the only bull too.
He did get the job done, but I wouldn't take any chances now, I would get him checked out.

While some bulls keep going strong into their teens, most bulls - if they even make it to 7 years of age - start having pretty significant reduction in fertility from that point on, not to mention the effects of wear & tear, fighting injuries, arthritis.
It may be time for the old boy to take a ride to town.

Latest posts