loading 1-2 ton bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Wewild":2wwktb4n said:
Tranqulize him with a 75-80% dose. Let him lie down and put a big rope on his neck. Back up the trailer and run the rope up to the front and through to the outside low through the rails. Tie rope to a tractor or 4 wheel drive truck.

Make him get up and apply pressure on the rope with the vehicle with folks behind him doing some pursuading. He will load.

I payed $75 to the man with the dart gun.
I have never used tranquilizers but I know that Wewild is basically right about loading.

I would add, run another rope behind his backside with a man on each end and pull. If you can rig it, tie one end and hook another tractor to the other end and pull. Put a hot shot to him as well if he doesn't want to go.

If we knew what is actually going on somebody might offer better suggestions.

Just remember, there is a way to load him. Just have to find it.

bmr...,

Put him thru the shute/head gate into the trailer.....if he fits.

If not, confine both sides near the trailer with panels and attach a panel to the front of the tractor(we put it on the front of the tilted bucket) and put the pressure on him. I have never seen it fail to work.......yet. Size doesn't matter.

With any animal......be careful and don't get hurt.

angie":1zlcjwiz said:
Actually, we have our animals shot and quartered on farm, loaded (in quarters) with loader into back of truck and hauled to the locker. We could load ~ just prefer to do it this way. Guy comes to our farm ~ he has a good local business doing this.

And he does this with 2000+++ lb bull culls??? Who buys a quarter of a past market age breeding bull???

Like others have said. Sounds like you don't have the right equipment. Never seen portable panels I could lift a bull wouldn't destroy. Need good posts, heavy boards lining the lane, narrow lane of maybe no more than 3 feet, cut gate, trailer backed up to the end and a hot shot. Never seen a bull that wouldn't load when touched in the nads with a hot shot.

Make sure the lane is built Ford tough and at least 5 foot high, six if he is a jumper.

A friend had a couple cowboys come out to pen his big old brangus bull. The bull would charge the horse and a rope was like tying a VW to a semi. Ended up with a new cowboy that knew how use a bullwhip. He put the bull in the pen in short order. Once in the pen and then in the lane, one tap with the hot shot put him in the trailer. He looked for a way to get away from the prod.

Some of you boys really like to live a life of adventure.

Any bull I got over two years old will normally step up in the trailer in an open field with a feed pan.

I won't say I have never fought a bull into anything. Won some and lost some. Tore up an awful lot of stuff as well.

But buying something with some civilization and decent disposition in the first place and keeping him that way is the only way to go.

In my youth my dad bought a young Charolais bull. He pulled up in the yard with the trailer rocking and jumping even after he had stopped. I walked over to peer in and the bull nailed the wall where i was. My dad and I had a brief discussion and against my counsel he turned that rascal out with the cows.

for something over six years no one could ever set foot in that field again unless well mounted or on a large tractor. whole cow herd got wild as deer and deadly as bears.

My dads partner ventured out into the field one day to check on a cow that had just calved. The bull was no where in sight. the cow charged him and then the bull appeared and he ended up treed in a tree in the swamp. dad went down on the crawler loader to retrieve his buddy from the tree. The bull charged the loader and dad knocked him down with the loader bucket to the top of the head. when he told me about it on the phone I asked if he buried him or left him for the buzzards. He said neither, that the bull had gotten up and staggered away. I said d--n dad, sounds like you missed an opportunity. He got mad and told me that I never had liked his bull. I said I thought he was right.

They decided that they needed to sell him and it took a year to get him caught and loaded and tales of that adventure are still told by my cousin who had assumed my role as youthful flunky while I served Uncle Sam. they were trying to load him into a closed body stock truck up a loading ramp as they did not think a trailer would hold him. This was back in the sixties and trailers then were not what they are today. Everything was hauled in trucks. My cousin finally offered himself as bait and stood in the door of the truck body. The bull charged up the ramp at him and he somehow eluded the bull and closed the door. It is said that the truck was nearly fire wood when the bull was finally delivered and unloaded.

Forcing him is only going to get you (or him) hurt and is gonna tear up a lot of stuff.

Have some patience.........

Back the trailer up to a gate and start feeding some sweet feed in the front of it every day. Within a few days, he'll be loading every time you come up with the bucket of feed.

Rather than telling storis of days gone by......

I will offer a managment technique.

I limit breeding to a sixty day season.....
During that season I go to the pasture AT LEAST three times per week. Preferably more often.
Everytime I go i take every bull a few pounds of grain. I put it in a pan on the ground and stand by him and keep the cows back while he eats.

even yearling bulls very quickly catch on to this routine. I also get the bull to come to me by calling him to eat. call him a little further every time til he catches on. again does not take long.

when I am ready to move him......I call him to where I want him. feed Him and then move him.

Put him in a pen. Use a cut gate. If he tries to come over pull the gate to you and let him land on top of it. Then slam him in the head with it. Corner him into the chute with the cut gate and pinch him tight to where he can only go to the chute. The cut gate should close into a medina. He is now sideways and cannot rear. Just like a bull in a rodeo before he comes out the gate. The only direction he can move is into the chute. Put him in a chute and close him in. Trailer is backed up to the chute. The only place he can go is into the trailer now.

Don't get him riled by running him. I personally wouldn't get him riled with a hot shot either unless there is absolutely no other choice. Patience is where its at.

Be glad he is gone once you get him loaded. Once an animal becomes a problem they will always be a problem.

bmribailey":3426uxv2 said:
Yes, he is a stubborn son of a gun. I have not seen such bullheadedness. I guess he needs a large bullet. thanks

Well how did it all work out. who won? You and your brothers or the bull?

Xyla-Ject him and drag him in. ;-)

Quick and easy without anyone getting hurt.

A lot of these "tips" will possibly result in death or a long stay in an intensive care unit.

If you have the facilities, ie. load out gate and solid fences that he can't jump out of, then if you have a long hose with some available water pressure then use water to load him. Stand on the outside of the pen, and start shooting him with water. Use a nozzle to get a sharp forceful stream. If he faces you to charge, shoot him in the face and he will back off. It absolutely takes the fight right out of them. He will eventually seek the trailer to get away from the water onslaught. This is also useful for moving a lunatic cow out of a pen in order to treat her baby.

Yall got STRONG water pressure up in Canada!!! Here if I want to fill up the water trough I keep for my chickens and dog's water....I cut it on as wide open as it will go then go cook lunch, eat, check my email, check out web forums, feed my dogs, gather up a load of clothes, and then go out and check to see if I have my 180 gallons yet.

He has probably ran past yall so many times the best way he knows how to get out is to go through yall.

What do yall have as far as working pins?

You have to just start moving him towards the trailer. Get all four of yall and a couple of yalls kids. Two with 2x4s and two with hot shots.

If he starts going every one has to get on his azz and look like a wall. Hot shot him and keep pressure on his rear with that 2x4. Makes sure he knows yall are ALL back there. IF he tries to turn his head,, WHOP! His head should be faced foward the whole time.

Have one kid break off every time to close a gate. If he starts turning on you,, of coarse stand your ground. Jump at him,,, arms big. Every one has to be together on it.

We have pins that are a circle, with a lane along one end. One gate to get in the pin. When we want to load some thing that is how we do it. :lol:

Brandonm2":n0i5ur4u said:
Yall got STRONG water pressure up in Canada!!! Here if I want to fill up the water trough I keep for my chickens and dog's water....I cut it on as wide open as it will go then go cook lunch, eat, check my email, check out web forums, feed my dogs, gather up a load of clothes, and then go out and check to see if I have my 180 gallons yet.

I turned on the 360 gpm irrigation pump for someone to fill some barrels. I looked up and they had the 2 inch flex spraying everywhere and they were taking a bunch of splashing all over them from out of the barrel. They were drenched. I ran over and shut the valve and let the water bypass on down the 4 inch line. They had the ball valve fully opened. It only takes about 15 seconds to fill a 55 gallon barrel at that rate. After they dried their face, they came back and asked me how I filled the barrel. I didn't. They did. I throttled the valve back to about 50 gpm for him to fill his barrels.

Never used water on cows. Never thought about it. Hopefully I'll never have to but I could sure put a jet on 'em.

bmribailey":1iimv7gd said:
I have a 1-2 ton bull that needs trailored. He just is not going to do it. We have tried everything without getting killed. I have heard there might be a patch that is placed in the trailor that tells him a cow in heat is in the trailor. Would anyone have any ideas. thank you.

I'd put another animal in the trailer first, a female cow, and try that, sometimes they won't go in because its only htem. We have had luck with this, for the bulls that won't load any other way.

GMN

There replies all get more interesting each time I read through. Do you folks not have the facilities to handle cattle?

I can't imagine even beginning to work them without the right equipment, chutes, pens etc. Some of these posts are beginning to sound like a carpenter without a hammer or saw.

flaboy":2625y39v said:
I dont have time for pets. Sorry

I feel so bad for you then.

But I do not feel that a bull has to be a raging lunatic that must be handled with a shotgun.

Bet i can load and move mine just as quick as you can and do it single handed.

My daddy used to have a saying. He said it about horses but it applies to all stock.

"It don't cost a d___d bit more to feed a good one than it does a sorry one."

backhoeboogie":1kwic2hk said:
There replies all get more interesting each time I read through. Do you folks not have the facilities to handle cattle?

I can't imagine even beginning to work them without the right equipment, chutes, pens etc. Some of these posts are beginning to sound like a carpenter without a hammer or saw.

If you are running a business the money may not always there to build the perfect facilities.

You make due with what you have. ;-)

IF you feel that strongly about it I am sure they would be happy to let you come build the perfect facilities for them. :lol:

3waycross":3w3m59sv said:
Have you tried loading him with some cows and then sorting them off at the salebarn later. Worked for us 2 weeks ago.

The only time we have had this problem was with a 2300lb Holstein bull;and the reason he was going was because he was a mean SOB that would kill you if he got a chance.

2 hours and 5 men later we got smart and put a very docile old gal in heat in the trailer and the bull walked right in.I should add that the cow in heat was put in the front compartment of the trailer so the bull could never get near her.We let her out the side door and off to the sale barn the bull went.

It is worth try because I don't think we could ever have gotten him loaded anyway else.We were not set up to handle aggressive large bulls.

Good Luck and be careful.

Latest posts