loading 1-2 ton bull

Help Support CattleToday:

bmribailey

Reaction score
I have a 1-2 ton bull that needs trailored. He just is not going to do it. We have tried everything without getting killed. I have heard there might be a patch that is placed in the trailor that tells him a cow in heat is in the trailor. Would anyone have any ideas. thank you.

Who is in charge? If he will not load, then you need to change your facilities. It does not matter how big they are you have to be in charge.

csm

Welcome, The right facilities, doesn't matter, they will load.
1-2 ton bull?
Lots of difference between a 1 and a 2 ton bull. :shock:

I forgot to state that I'm from a family of 4 brothers and we have raise cattle all our lives. I have not seen anything like this.
We have used a tractor with him cornered and he wants to rush the tractor over and over. We thought of field dressing right there but that would not be fun. This was my last resort, by being an idiot and ask someone. thanks

If you are trying to push him with a tractor it sounds like you have the bull in a too large of an area to load. Proper facilities puts you in charge.

CSM

Have you tried loading him with some cows and then sorting them off at the salebarn later. Worked for us 2 weeks ago.

Yes, he is a stubborn son of a gun. I have not seen such bullheadedness. I guess he needs a large bullet. thanks

bmribailey, I can visualize a problem. A critter that big is hard to move when he doesn't want to. Wish you luck. Yeah a bullet would also cause a lot of work and a lot of burger to use up. :shock:

Tranqulize him with a 75-80% dose. Let him lie down and put a big rope on his neck. Back up the trailer and run the rope up to the front and through to the outside low through the rails. Tie rope to a tractor or 4 wheel drive truck.

Make him get up and apply pressure on the rope with the vehicle with folks behind him doing some pursuading. He will load.

I payed $75 to the man with the dart gun.

Have you tried food, put some grain in the loading chute, then a little grain on the trailer where he as to stretch to reach it, then a good amount way up on the trailer. If you plan on keeping the bull but need to trailer him sometimes, feed him on the trailer a few times. Real good hay works to, but takes more time.

Here in Texas you can hire cowboys that will load anything.. but I'm guessing that's not an option in Indiana.

Are you loading him from a corral into the trailer? Can you get him in a chute first, and then back the trailer up to the chute?

I was also going to suggest a couple of cows with him. Or... if you can spare the time, how about leaving the trailer backed up to the corral, and putting feed / water in the trailer? Maybe he'll load himself if he's not being forced. Stranger things have happened. I loaded a neighbors cow this way a few years back. Took some time, but we didn't have a corral that would hold her!

I'm guessing the Bull is too "wide" to go down the chute?

I had this problem with a Brangus Bull once. Lucky I was only trying to worm him. He got stuck in the lane. I poured the wormer on his back. It took him 3 hours to back out of the lane.

Portable panels are a cowboys best friend, you will need to make a catch pen and loading lane he can go down.

I've had a bull or two that sounds like this fella. I used to try and out "will" him and sometimes I won and sometimes I didn't...but either way I ended up frustrated. Now I take a more relaxed approach and use my head and my success rate has increased...for instance, I've used the rope around the neck-thru the trailer-out the escape hatch-tied to the the four wheeler mentioned above.

bmribailey":1tcqjix7 said:
Yes, he is a stubborn son of a gun. I have not seen such bullheadedness. I guess he needs a large bullet. thanks

That's what I would do. Three strikes and you are out. Not worth getting hurt or killed over a bull-headed animal. If you figure the damage he has probably already caused to your facilities and the time wasted on him plus the repairs, bullet sounds cheap. Been there myself, but it took 4. Good luck and be careful.

Had the same problem two years ago. Trying to load him by myself, or even entering the corral, he kept coming at me. I took a sorting paddle and smacked him across the face every time he came at me (hard) and after a few times he went and stood in the corner. I then built a small pen with portable panels in the corner of the corral, which I could not get him into by myself. So every chance I got I dumped a little cake in that pen (for about a week, morning and night, got him in the habit of coming in). He got used to coming in to get his cake with no interference. One day I closed it up behind him with a rope I had tethered to one of the panels. (Every time I would try to get behind him he ran out). I now had him in about a 12 by 12 pen. I could reach in with the hotshot and he had no choice but to load. Facilities make the difference. These were not my main corrals, just a big "catch 'em" corral in on of the larger pastures. So I had to improvise. MAybe some suggestions to help. Good luck

Bullett????

If the thing weighs 2000 pounds and bologna bulls bring $.60 that is $1200!!!! $1200!!!! There is no way, no how, I would ever walk away from $1200 and I have NEVER met ANY animal I could not load......eventually Sometimes it takes more than one day AND WHAT were you doing with a TRACTOR???? I can't shift gears fast enough on any tractor I have ever owned to herd any animals with it. Anybody who ever resorts to using a bullet, needs to just sell out and get out of the business. Your problem is that your facilities SUCK!!! and they suck BADLY!!! IF you intend on staying in business go ahead and fix your facilities right, where you can hold anything in your main pen, run ANYTHING in to the chute, prevent anything from backing out of the chute, and ultimately load anything at all. While working on that. Leave the bull running around your place in to the winter. Spend your time getting him to eat cubes or corn out of a 15 gallon rubber bucket daily. Take your time and eventually move his pan closer and closer to your pens. When you really get him puppy dog friendly, feed him IN your pens, then in your chute, you might even try feeding him on the edge of your trailer. If you can do that for a week, try putting his pan in the front of the trailer (with truck attached of course), IF he jumps up on the trailer to get his treat, SLAM the back trailer door shut , drop everything and take him to town immediately not stopping for anything along the way.

Actually, we have our animals shot and quartered on farm, loaded (in quarters) with loader into back of truck and hauled to the locker. We could load ~ just prefer to do it this way. Guy comes to our farm ~ he has a good local business doing this.

Latest posts